Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gullys Gang Open Day

Apr 17, 2011
Shoreham
Anyone who went to this event last year and expecting similar this year would have gone away from the Withdean very disappointed. What was going on????The kids had very little chance of obtaining autographs, my son got 3, in 45 minutes and one of those has hardly figured this season. These kids are the future of BHAFC and should have been afforded a better organised event.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Anyone who went to this event last year and expecting similar this year would have gone away from the Withdean very disappointed. What was going on????The kids had very little chance of obtaining autographs, my son got 3, in 45 minutes and one of those has hardly figured this season. These kids are the future of BHAFC and should have been afforded a better organised event.

How many people there last year? Todays attendance was bigger than many JPT at the Withdean.
I thought the players did well in that heat and after an hour+ training session to stay out there signing for as long as they did.
My 8 year old grandson came away with about 7 of all the players signatures he wanted.
Very hard to organise it in such away that all the kids got every signature, the players would still be there when it got dark.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
I thought it was a good day and the players did there best to keep as many kids happy as possible. What do you expect for free?
On a side note i hated seeing so many kids in liverpool/ man utd kits at the event.

Last edited:

scooter1

How soon is now?
We went aong and left well before it finished. I realised with the numbers there that we weren't going to get any/many autographs and it was very hot in the sun for my young lad.
The club do well to enourage this kind of thing and well done to them, we're champions and everybody wants a piece at the moment - but they did the best they could.

As mentioned before and I agree, my only gripe is the amount of "bigger club" shirts being worn. Those kids could/should be given a Brighton t-shirt to wear instead of "their favourite current successful team"

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I have to agree with the original poster. Very disappointed...

My lad came away with absolutely nothing and he's pretty gutted - and that after that idiot Jack the lad said no one will go away without an autograph - he should learn not to say stupid things like that!

Yes the day was free, but the money spent on replica shirts, programmes, tickets and everything else over the playing season isn't.

I realise there was lots of people the players had to get around but IMHO the event was poorly organised this year and has left a bitter taste in the mouth after what has been an excellent season.

To top it off, the one chance my lad did get a chance to get Casper Ankegren's autograph, he was pushed out of the way by some tosser in a LIVERPOOL shirt telling everyone how his kid has scored 40 goals this season for his team and that Ian Rush was better than Elliott Bennett!

Not happy!

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
We went and to be honest it was poor. Not enough ice cream vans, drinks sellers and my kids didn't even see Gully.
We left well before the end.

The PA system was just too awful, we couldn't hear anything in the family stand. The kids still enjoyed seeing the Withdean, but
15 minutes was more than enough

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.

What other clubs do these events then?

I feel the club deserve massive credit for today!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
For a start ANY kid or adult in a top other than Brighton should be REFUSED entry. f*** off. Come back when you are either wearing OTHER clothes or something with the Albion on.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
For a start ANY kid or adult in a top other than Brighton should be REFUSED entry. f*** off. Come back when you are either wearing OTHER clothes or something with the Albion on.

Agreed. What are these people thinking of.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I took my daughter and her friend for the first time so have nothing to compare with. Common sense should tell you that with over 10,000 members of Gullys Gang etc and the team just having won the title then there would be much larger numbers than in previous years. Maybe the club had underestimated the attendence but at the end of the day, it was free. You chose to spend the money on the kids throughout the year so don't blame the club for that.

Next year they may take on board lessons learnt this year and perhaps they should get members to email acceptance of the invitation and limit kids to one parent each and of course it will be at the Amex. My kids got autographs from Jack the Lad, Sally and Sammy and most importantly, Adam El Abd. For those that chose to leave then that is your choice. If you had stayed till then end and worked your way around you would have got some autographs but you couldn't be bothered to wait.

I think some adults are stuck in the Withdean Syndrome! ie you don't have to queue for long, can turn up 5 minutes before kick off and be home by 5.30. Be prepared for change.

At the end of the day, the event is a credit to the club.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I took my daughter and her friend for the first time so have nothing to compare with. Common sense should tell you that with over 10,000 members of Gullys Gang etc and the team just having won the title then there would be much larger numbers than in previous years. Maybe the club had underestimated the attendence but at the end of the day, it was free. You chose to spend the money on the kids throughout the year so don't blame the club for that.

Next year they may take on board lessons learnt this year and perhaps they should get members to email acceptance of the invitation and limit kids to one parent each and of course it will be at the Amex. My kids got autographs from Jack the Lad, Sally and Sammy and most importantly, Adam El Abd. For those that chose to leave then that is your choice. If you had stayed till then end and worked your way around you would have got some autographs but you couldn't be bothered to wait.

I think some adults are stuck in the Withdean Syndrome! ie you don't have to queue for long, can turn up 5 minutes before kick off and be home by 5.30. Be prepared for change.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Good post

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
my boy just got back and was very upset spent £5 bus and train said .wished he had gone swimming insted.more chance of autographs outside the sportsman?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila

THIS!

Just amazed this would happen to be honest. It's a Brighton event so even if you don't support them, if actually want to go or are accompanying others just wear normal clothes!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Anyone who has been to this event last year or the year before must have expected today to be far busier than any of the previous (I don't remember any of them overflowing into the family stand tbh), I know I did as prepared my son for it to be as such. Yes there were a massive amount of parents/kids who are new to the Albion but that is something to praise Shirley? Cannot believe anyone feels they can moan about a FREE event for KIDS put on by the club. The club don't have to do these things but they do and deserve thanks not grief for their efforts IMHO

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Bum fight, appreciate it is for free but what today taught my lad is not do as the stewards ask and wait politely but barge in, push others out the way and go on to the track. Players did their best but stewards were saying to kids if you are on the track you do not get an autograph - in fact it was the opposite. I must admit I told him to ignore the steward to get Bennos autograph, but it is not right.

Should have been organised over 2/3 days given our success this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here