Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Guinness Zero

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Drinking anything cold or indeed hot dulls the taste buds, therefore drinking Guinness 0% cold removes the flavour making it drinkable. It's the whole reason they started to do extra cold normal Guinness, in the hope youngsters would start to drink it. They only lowered the temp by 2 degrees but this is enough to "freeze" taste buds. Bitter taste buds don't fully mature until we reach late 20's and this is why often people change their preferred tipple as they themselves age.

If you drink anything that varies in temp to your mouth, it sends a signal to your brain that you are rehydrating.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I just can’t see the point in no alcohol beers and wines. I’d much rather have a nice Orannge juice and lemonade or a cup of tea.
I like the taste of beer, but don't always want the alcohol content. Hence why I often have a 0% beer. brewdog and Brooklyn both have decent options in my opinion. I'd be interested in trying them Guinness zero.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you still have to spend half the day in the bog after a few pints of this I see no point if it doesn’t contain alcohol
???

If you really mean the next day, I assume you mean solids. That sounds like gluten intolerance to me (from the cereal in beer). Try an equivalent amount of cider and see if the effect is the same.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not much of a drinker of alcohol myself but I've tasted it here and I've tasted in in County Kerry, there is a distinctive difference, mainly the County Kerry stuff was actually quite nice, the stuff I tasted here was rubbish in comparison, both standard draught, both made from supposedly the same ingredients, so why the taste difference?.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Not much of a drinker of alcohol myself but I've tasted it here and I've tasted in in County Kerry, there is a distinctive difference, mainly the County Kerry stuff was actually quite nice, the stuff I tasted here was rubbish in comparison, both standard draught, both made from supposedly the same ingredients, so why the taste difference?.

Get on the Lagos version :drink:

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I just can’t see the point in no alcohol beers and wines. I’d much rather have a nice Orannge juice and lemonade or a cup of tea.

How about when you are the designated driver and you can't stand sweet sugary drinks like OJ and lemonade and you don't want to sit there looking like a social leper when everyone else has got a lovely looking beer in front of them? Now that non-alcoholic beer tastes perfectly good it is a bloody useful alternative.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
It's not easy being a dolphin.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
If you like the taste of beer then 0% options are perfectly acceptable. If you only drink beer for the alcohol then I suggest you try spirits instead as they are much faster in effect and place less strain on the bladder.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ghost Ship is available in an Adult Version and very nice it is too.

It is ... and I've drunk it. But the low alcohol version has kept the taste - it's great for a session (the days when I could drink eight pints a night are way behind me)

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

I don't drink alcohol anymore but still enjoy the taste of beer so non-alcoholic beers scratch that itch. Not sure I'd have them as a substitute for an alcoholic drink though if I was still having them (or if I'd never had alcohol in the first place). With you on the non-alcoholic wines though.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It is ... and I've drunk it. But the low alcohol version has kept the taste - it's great for a session (the days when I could drink eight pints a night are way behind me)

The days when I could drink one pint a night are sadly way behind me :lolol: Have always suffered with bad hangovers, but when I got a headache from one lunchtime half I knew it was game over.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Since 2005 it has been brewed in the same place St James's Gate, so would be exactly the same product. Likelihood is when you've drunk it here it's been in pubs that don't clean their lines properly or often. In Ireland it is traditional for the brewery or supplier to clean the lines for the publican. It's creeping in here, especially Heineken and Molson Coors

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Agree that the 0% Guinness is well done. If you like Guinness, then the 0% is pretty much the same (taste wise, personally I think it lacks a little of the body). if you don't, then you still won't. I've just come out of a few years on non- (or very low) alcoholic drinks for personal reasons. Worked my way through various varieties. Ghost Ship, Guinness, Brewdog options were the best of them. Still got a couple cans of the 0% Guinness in the fridge and they will get drunk at some point, but I'm back on the alcoholic stuff again now so no urgency :p.

If it's draught, try changing your preferred drinking establishment. With Guinness, proper maintenance of the pumps and lines is an absolute must (as told to me by a publican friend).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How about when you are the designated driver and you can't stand sweet sugary drinks like OJ and lemonade and you don't want to sit there looking like a social leper when everyone else has got a lovely looking beer in front of them? Now that non-alcoholic beer tastes perfectly good it is a bloody useful alternative.

I’m never insecure about having a soft drink in a pub. Plenty of non sugary drinks but yes, I take your point. For me, a waste of money though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here