Guess what position Gus is in the longest-serving managers through the leagues

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I saw it in the Argus the other day, couldn't remember if it was 17th or 19th though.

Did you know that Gus is the only non-European manager out of the 92?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought he was in the top 10 at the end of last season? The average managerial position is 18 months duration.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Winner! I went for low 30s. It's a ridiculous position for him to be in considering we all know he's nowhere near finished with his masterplan at Brighton. Goes to show little time managers get to make an impact.

Also makes all those thickets who've banged on since day one about him "flouncing anyday now/he'll be gone by Christmas (every season)" look even thicker than normal.

He's constantly said and done things that suggest he sees it as a long term plan.

larus

Winner! I went for low 30s. It's a ridiculous position for him to be in considering we all know he's nowhere near finished with his masterplan at Brighton. Goes to show little time managers get to make an impact.

Be interesting to know how much this has or hasn't changed since Sky have been involved and, probably, led to much more short-term views from chairmen. But for him to be in the top 20% after less than 3 seasons - just feels so wrong!!!!

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Can't really see anyone above him getting sacked any time soon...

Ferguson - United
Wenger - Arsenal
Moyes - Everton
Still - Dagenham
Pulis - Stoke
Tisdale - Exeter
Jackett - Millwall
Mellon - Fleetwood
Abbott - Carlisle
Wilder - Oxford
Clough - Derby
Martinez - Wigan
Poyet - Brighton

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Ferguson - United
Wenger - Arsenal
Moyes - Everton
Still - Dagenham
Pulis - Stoke
Tisdale - Exeter
Jackett - Millwall
Mellon - Fleetwood
Abbott - Carlisle
Wilder - Oxford
Clough - Derby
Martinez - Wigan
Poyet - Brighton

Not sacked perhaps, but Ferguson might retire, Wenger move upstairs, Martinez and Moyes move to bigger clubs, etc, etc...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Ferguson - United
Wenger - Arsenal
Moyes - Everton
Still - Dagenham
Pulis - Stoke
Tisdale - Exeter
Jackett - Millwall
Mellon - Fleetwood
Abbott - Carlisle
Wilder - Oxford
Clough - Derby
Martinez - Wigan
Poyet - Brighton

I can..Aresene...the guy looks like a shadow of his former self. Dead man walking...

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
After the sacking of Micky Mellon earlier this week, Gus has moved up into twelfth.

To me it seems amazing that only 8 managers have currently been in the same job for 4 years or more. :mad:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It's crazy that he should be so high up having only been in the job for 3 years.

I've always believed he was here for the long term. Not something I know, or have heard, just believed from what he has said. Must be a great position to be in to be able to play the long game and one that will benefit us in the end. Last week still hurts but we'll be better than them in the not too distant future I'm sure.

I reckon the next striker we sign, when we eventually do will be a bit special too, in a Bridge/Bruno/Kooshak way. Gus has the luxury of being able to wait for the right man, unlike managers who need to get results within 6 months.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports