Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Guernsey FC

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
They could play the match at Eastleigh. Get off the plane, walk across the road, play the match, walk back to the airport.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I work in Guernsey every other week and have watched them play, superb set up, big crowds and play good football. They do not play the players n they are all Guernsey residents. A good way to run a football club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
They don't charter they fly with the islands airline. I've been on the flight with them. They negotiate rates for the season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I lived in Guernsey for a year (after 3 years in Jersey too). Strong sporting ethic on both islands (not a lot else to do really), happily backed up with an equally strong after-match drinking ethic. Standards are pretty good considering the size of the population (Guernsey probably about equivalent to Burgess Hill maybe ?)

I think our resident Peacehaven & Telscombe FC and Brighton fan @ Dr.Not the nine o'clock news went to the Peacehaven away fixture at Guernsey, this was the season before last.
Both teams are in the same division this season.

Indeed, it was only a day trip mind, £75 return on fly be, left about 9am got back to LGW about 7 (1pm ko) what a skinfull! Friendly club, large crowd (1100, ryman average 250) very modern facilities as it's also the main athletics track, I don't think fly be do it any more, not suprised as there was 19 on the flight back and out of a capacity of 120. This years fixture clashes with fa trophy qualifying, so I'm sure at least one of us will be involved so it's midweek for us :(

It's Worthing at home tomorrow (bank hol mon) 3pm kick off, I'll be passing the bucket round for the REMF/Jacob

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Indeed, it was only a day trip mind, £75 return on fly be, left about 9am got back to LGW about 7 (1pm ko) what a skinfull! Friendly club, large crowd (1100, ryman average 250) very modern facilities as it's also the main athletics track, I don't think fly be do it any more, not suprised as there was 19 on the flight back and out of a capacity of 120. This years fixture clashes with fa trophy qualifying, so I'm sure at least one of us will be involved so it's midweek for us :(

It's Worthing at home tomorrow (bank hol mon) 3pm kick off, I'll be passing the bucket round for the REMF/Jacob

Guernsey on a Tuesday night :)

The Peacehaven pitch is getting a good soaking tonight.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm amazed that a non-league club could afford to do that every other week. Particularly if it's true that it needs to subsidise away teams.

Has Brighton ever played them?

No, but in May 1955 (after the end of the season) the Albion visited Jersey and played a Jersey Saturday League XI and, two days later, a Jersey & Guernsey XI. Then in August, they returned and played a match against Grouville FC to open their ground, and the next day a Jersey Saturday League XI (again).

In fact, Albion also signed a player as a result of the first trip. Quoting from the first league programme of the 1955-56 season:-

Our other signing, Roy Balston, was made when the Albion visited Jersey to play two representative matches last May. Roy, born in Jersey, showed up quite well against our lads and after the first match he signed as an Amateur. He travelled to Hove and reported for training with the other lads, and after our practice match last Saturday [August 13 1955], he signed as professional.

Talking of Jersey, Albion had another player on their books in the last 30 years who was born on the island. He was a pro with the club for a couple of years without actually making an appearance, but made over 100 league appearances for other clubs, played internationally for one of the home nations and played in the Champions League. Do you know who he is?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No, but in May 1955 (after the end of the season) the Albion visited Jersey and played a Jersey Saturday League XI and, two days later, a Jersey & Guernsey XI. Then in August, they returned and played a match against Grouville FC to open their ground, and the next day a Jersey Saturday League XI (again).

In fact, Albion also signed a player as a result of the first trip. Quoting from the first league programme of the 1955-56 season:-

Talking of Jersey, Albion had another player on their books in the last 30 years who was born on the island. He was a pro with the club for a couple of years without actually making an appearance, but made over 100 league appearances for other clubs, played internationally for one of the home nations and played in the Champions League. Do you know who he is?

Who is this player?

Fred Leamon who made 11 appearances for Brighton 1949-50 season, was also born in Jersey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here