Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guernsey FC fans 'far too nice', says captain

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Never worked out why some feel the need to applaud the away fans attendance at the Amex ffs I really couldn't give a shit if they bring 3 or 3000.

I do mostly clap - here are the reasons:

1) To thank them for their money, thus helping keep my ST price as low as possible &/or enable us to buy better players.
2) To acknowledge the kindred spirits who have often travelled for many hours to watch a game of football - us football fans should (mostly) stick together.
3) Who knows; there may be fans in the away end who stuck with us in various ways post-Archer etc? It's nice to recognise them.
4) Away fans often show respect to us (e.g. Newport fans honouring in full the 1 minute's applause for Roy and singing "There's only one Roy Chuter") - I like to show respect back.
5) Why not?

Obviously, there are a couple of exceptions where I'd never applaud opposing team's fans, but mostly I do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Seem to remember an amazing goal scored by Oldham Athletic at the Goldstone once which stunned the North Stand into applause. 90/91 I think.

Edit: Appears not to be Oldham Athletic. Maybe it was Swindon Town. Anyway the guy hit it from about 40 yards.
Sean Close for Bournemouth?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I don't applaud opposition goals, although I do sometimes comment " He took that well" or similar.
However, I have been known to applaud a brilliant save by the opposition 'keeper.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Seem to remember an amazing goal scored by Oldham Athletic at the Goldstone once which stunned the North Stand into applause. 90/91 I think.

Edit: Appears not to be Oldham Athletic. Maybe it was Swindon Town. Anyway the guy hit it from about 40 yards.

Probably Duncan Shearer. He always scored against us!!

Seem to remember a stunning brace against us around that time

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Probably Duncan Shearer. He always scored against us!!

Seem to remember a stunning brace against us around that time

After what he did to Nicky Bissett, I doubt Duncan Shearer would ever have been applauded by Albion fans in those days.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The last opposition goal I clapped was Blackpool's only goal when we beat them 6-1 last season......although it was scored by our own player (Dean Hammond) and it was actually a pretty good header.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
I think the 3 people in the East stand who stand up and sing the song DO deserve a round of applause.

I thank you.
"Weeeee're the East Stand.." NB. The other 2 are my brothers.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
I do mostly clap - here are the reasons:

1) To thank them for their money, thus helping keep my ST price as low as possible &/or enable us to buy better players.
2) To acknowledge the kindred spirits who have often travelled for many hours to watch a game of football - us football fans should (mostly) stick together.
3) Who knows; there may be fans in the away end who stuck with us in various ways post-Archer etc? It's nice to recognise them.
4) Away fans often show respect to us (e.g. Newport fans honouring in full the 1 minute's applause for Roy and singing "There's only one Roy Chuter") - I like to show respect back.
5) Why not?

Obviously, there are a couple of exceptions where I'd never applaud opposing team's fans, but mostly I do.
I agree with this post. particularly number 2. I have immense respect for those who travel the country supporting their club because I know, myself, just how much dedication and money it takes. Good support from both sets of fans adds to the experience of a match day. That's why I look forward to clubs like West Ham and Palace visiting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here