Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guardian season preview

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
For the first time in a very long time I fear the worst for us.

I always look forward to a new season with excitement but this year I just think we have not tried hard enough to get players in. I don't want us to throw money away but having released so many first team regulars in the close season I thought we would have ensured replacements in by now, especially having changed the manager again.

My friends who don't support the Albion can't understand us at all; we have an amazing stadium, category 1 training ground and 26k+ supporters every week but we seem to sell our best players and not replace them.

Even if we buy the 4 or 5 players we need by Aug 31st I fear it will be too late as there seems to be so many teams that could really fly out the traps this season and surely they can't all have a bad start?

Cardiff, Norwich, Fulham, Derby, Blackburn, Forest look like they are miles ahead of us at the moment.

I WANT to be positive but finding it hard!!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The sale of Leo was a disaster. No point in getting 8 million if we don't sign a 20+ goal a season striker to replace him.

Why we didn't refuse the sale until we had a replacement ready with pen in hand to sign is a mystery.

We won't get enough goals this year, so I expect a relegation fight.

Sad, really.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6491729 said:
We won't create enough chances, and of those that we do? We won't score enough...

Ie. desperately crying out for creativity and clinical finishing.

I feel positive we'll score more than we did last year, because of the promised change of tactics. Goals leaked... God only knows.:rolleyes:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Ooh, the negativity.

I could equally well argue that there is a lot to be said for continuity in a squad, with established names having an enhanced understanding of each other's strengths. Add to that the continued development of the young guns and a new manager with something to prove and we could be real dark horses.

Well. We might be, mightn't we?

SAC

May 21, 2014
With the money being brought in, I'm expecting decent signings before the end of the transfer window and a top six finish. Anything less can't be worth the increased ST prices.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Although I acknowledge we definitely need movement on the transfers front, this is not a bad first XI with what we have to choose from at the moment

Stockdale

Bruno/Calde
Greer
Hughes
Chicksen

Ince
Toko
Crofts

Buckley
LuaLua

CMS/COG

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Probably go back to stalking my posts and giving me thumbs down.

Don't tell lies. I've given out 21 thumbs to various posters - all of which have been thumbs up. I quoted you twice after you had quoted me in one specific thread.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Okay, best-case scenario:

Crofts picks up where he left off last season, supplying goals a-plenty from midfield, while O'Grady's hold-up play provides plenty of chances for the two tucked-in wingers behind him. Sami sensibly rotates them in order to keep Buckley fit and Kaz fresh, giving March and Fenelon game-time. CMS gets more and more minutes every game as an impact sub and rediscovers his scoring form. Ince plays so well in the holding role that Toko isn't missed while his mystery knee injury heals. But the real revelation is Agustien, who reacts well to regular kicks up the arse from Sami, and his ability to see a pass further than ten yards results in a host of chances, especially for CMS.

In defence, Sami realises that Dunk has to play to keep the average age of the back four below 40, and he grabs his chance. Stockdale, on the rare occasions he is called into action, is safe as houses. And the re-signing of a crowd favourite to play as an attacking left back brings a whole new dimension to Sami's new formation and is hailed as a masterstroke on the part of David Burke as crosses and passes from the left create a host of chances. Yes, welcome back Andrea Orlandi ...

I'm going to have a lie-down now.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
For the first time in a very long time I fear the worst for us.

I always look forward to a new season with excitement but this year I just think we have not tried hard enough to get players in. I don't want us to throw money away but having released so many first team regulars in the close season I thought we would have ensured replacements in by now, especially having changed the manager again.

My friends who don't support the Albion can't understand us at all; we have an amazing stadium, category 1 training ground and 26k+ supporters every week but we seem to sell our best players and not replace them.

Even if we buy the 4 or 5 players we need by Aug 31st I fear it will be too late as there seems to be so many teams that could really fly out the traps this season and surely they can't all have a bad start?

Cardiff, Norwich, Fulham, Derby, Blackburn, Forest look like they are miles ahead of us at the moment.

I WANT to be positive but finding it hard!!

THIS :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here