Guardian Prize Crossword

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
I was looking at last Saturday's Guardian Prize Crossword on the train yesterday and came across these two very topical clues!

High above London, Britain hasn't one ugly side (8,3,4,6)

Workman learns about old footballer (4,9)

Answers in 10 minutes if no-one gets them.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
Well... Brighton and Hove Albion..but the second one bothers me...Alan something?

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
Of course !!

R in Lawrenson, mind.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I never get cryptic crosswords. Even looking at those questions and the answers, I still cannot work out how people arrived at that result.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I've never really understood cryptic crosswords, so I'll take my opportunity to ask.

How does "High above London, Britain hasn't one ugly side (8,3,4,6)" mean Brighton and Hove Albion?

And with "Workman learns about old footballer (4,9)" I can see the old footballer link to Mark Lawrenson, but where does the workman fit in?

Cryptic crosswords seem, well, cryptic to me. But I'd love to understand - it would fill my lunchtime brilliantly.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can see they are both anagrams, to answer part of the two questions above, but don't understand the rest of the clue

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I've never really understood cryptic crosswords, so I'll take my opportunity to ask.

How does "High above London, Britain hasn't one ugly side (8,3,4,6)" mean Brighton and Hove Albion?

And with "Workman learns about old footballer (4,9)" I can see the old footballer link to Mark Lawrenson, but where does the workman fit in?

Cryptic crosswords seem, well, cryptic to me. But I'd love to understand - it would fill my lunchtime brilliantly.

There both anagrams

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I don't know how to do cryptic crosswords either. One day I'll learn.

But can I just point out, to those saying they'd like to learn - you are on the internet right now. There might be more thorough places to teach you than NSC!! There are certain formula that alert you to anagrams etc. Some of the knowledge of how to do cryptics is learned and remembered!

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
"hasn't one" indicates you take an i out of "High above London, Britain" and then it's an anagram - ugly indicates the anagram and Mark Lawrenson is an anagram of "Workman learns". Nice touch from "Paul" the setter to mark our first league game at the Amex - wonder if he's a fan!

Last edited:

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Riigghhtt, how does "Hasn't one" mean "remove an i" :shrug:

And where does the "ugly side" fit in then

Well in cryptic land an i is the same as a 1 cause they look the same. The ugly side must mean the crossword setter saw us play at Huddesfield when we lost 7 - 0. No actually the word ugly is the clue to it being an anagram. Ugly means, (again in cryptic crossword land), mixed up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I never get cryptic crosswords. Even looking at those questions and the answers, I still cannot work out how people arrived at that result.

I'll start you with a classic example. You have to think literally.

It's the title of a book about cryptic crosswords, and the clue reads...

Pretty girl in crimson rose (8)

There are variables as to how to ascertain the answer, but the most common one is to realise that the synonym is either at the very beginning or the very end of the clue. In this instance, the answer is REBELLED. How? You have to look at it literally.

'Pretty girl' is a BELLE
'crimson' is RED

The instruction in the clue (Pretty girl in crimson) is to place 'BELLE' in 'RED'. Hence REBELLED.

Someone who rises up is someone who is rebelling. Using the perfect tense of these verbs, 'Rose' is a synonym for REBELLED.

There are other ways of solving the clues, and the way to do so is often contained in there (anagrams being an example - the hint that it is an anagram as per the two above are contained clues).

Clear?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports