Grow Your Own 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Yes, that's the one. It was closed most of the winter and had now re-opened. I've only eaten there once, it was OK. It's in an area that I go past a lot but rarely stop in (ie between where I live and Germasoia!)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Haven't planted anything yet, but will start this week, veg plot is dug and the greenhouse is ready. I am still a bit of a novice at growing things to eat, this year will be my fifth attempt, but I have just about worked out what will grow in the garden (fairly heavy clay based) and what won't.

On the vegetable front I will be going for the old favourites of broad beans, courgettes and peas as all grow fairly well. This year I am going to give spinach a go, for the first time, but a small leaf variety rather than the perpetual stuff. In the greenhouse it will be a couple of varieties of mini-toms, it is a bit shaded for main crop to ripen properly so I am going to give them a miss, also cucumber and chili. I will also plant a range of salad crops, probably in the greenhouse rather than outside as you have more control over them and the pigeons can't scoff the lot and it is easier to fend off slugs and snails.

If anyone else has fairly heavy soil, which is useless for stuff like carrots, suggestions of crops to plant would be welcome.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Every coming along fine. Tomato and Chilli Seedlings just getting their proper leaves and about and inch and half tall. Putting them in the greenhouse during the day, but still paranoid to bring them in at night.

Electric propagators are the way to go. I bought a big one from homebase last year. Now I worked out the rights and wrongs with seed germination, everything comes up in days in there rather than weeks. I also leave a container of water in there to keep it nice and humid. Almost 100% success on the chilli seed front.

What the f*ck is the problem with cucumber plants, I nearly killed them by putting them in the greenhouse during the day - they didn't like the heat.

Had the same problem last year, they are such a hassle it's gonna be plants for me next year. Hope they do ok, I've built a raised bed for them to eventually go outside. Last year after killing half of them, I had loads of cucumbers because I found a really good spot for them against a wall.

This year with tomatoes - I trying a few different varieties - all outside ones, but I've probably do the non cherry types in the greenhouse.

Gardeners Delight - very common, probably got the seeds off a magazine.

Tumbling Tom - had great success with these cherries last year.

Father Frost - An Eastern European variety, more resistant to colder climates. Really doing this for my mother law, because I want to see whether they ripen in Southport. Probably keep one.

Jersey Devil - a plum variety that grow long like chillies. Didn't have much success last year with plum tomatoes (blossom end rot), do I'll only do a couple of these and keep it in the greenhouse in oversize containers.

Marmande - a distinctive looking Italian beefsteak, really looking forward to these.

Roma - another plum to go in the greenhouse as above.

"Millions" - not sure what these are really called, but they create a huge crop of small tomatoes. Probably going in hanging baskets. Expensive seeds and the only one I've had trouble germinating.

Silver Fir - again heading for Southport and a Russian Variety that doesn't grow very high. They have odd foliage with small leaves.

Some other plum cherry - can't remember the name, but very cheap seeds.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
my chillis have not liked being "thinned", replanted in their original pot with fewer of their friends, growth since has been zero and once has shed leaves. not sure this growing from seed is all its cut out to be when you can get seedling plants.

today i made my first trip to buy proper gardening stuff. i now have a massive bag of compost, some large pots, seed potatoes (desiree and charlotte) and some established pepper seedlings. decided other than herbs, thats enoug for first year.

although as part of a seperate mission, beer brewing, i will be sourcing a range of hop plants/rhizomes this week.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
my chillis have not liked being "thinned", replanted in their original pot with fewer of their friends, growth since has been zero and once has shed leaves. not sure this growing from seed is all its cut out to be when you can get seedling plants.

I thought that, but you need to keep going. You can also grow varieties that are impossible to get in a garden centre.

This is my second year.

Disaster with chillies last year, but now have 30 odd healthy seedlings. I definitely watered them too much last year and this year have grown them in a very fine soil.

This year I watered the soil first, then placed them on top - just scattering enough soil to cover. Apparently a common problem is the seed being too low.

As a tip I would actually grow them directly in small pots, so you don't need to thin them out. You can still start some more off.

They germinate very quickly in the right conditions. Warm (above a boiler ?) with a sandwich bag wrapped round them to increase the humidity.

Point being - you start them off right, they tend to be a bit more healthy and robust.

Last edited:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
If you want to make a decent electric propagator, Use one of the elctric heat mats for reptiles.

Reptile Heat Mat - Vivarium Heater - 47" x 11" 60W on eBay (end time 16-Apr-11 16:43:49 BST)

This one's 4 feet long but i used the 35" x 11" and they fit into one of the growbag trays you can buy for a fiver.

Add a sprinkling of sand if you want....i didn't bother, and then find a bit of glass or polycarb to fit over the whole tray or individual seed trays.

You end up with a decent sized, very efficient propagator for leaa than £30.

Sometimes, my seed trays don't fit on the mat completely and the seeds which aren't on the mat can take up to 5 days longer to germinate

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Great thread! Spent a lovely mothers day (and birthday yesterday) in my garden today.

Gardening is in my blood - 3 generations before me, and I'm probably letting the side down :lol: I've got one more year in my thirties so hopefully plenty of time still yet to learn.

I grow whatever tickles my fancy each year, and mostly my brain somehow knows what to do. We go through stages of what we like to eat as well and my soil is dark rich and distinctly clay-ey so you need to be a little atuned to that but everything else is patience and care.

We still have plenty of purple sprouting broccoli going on but it'll probably flower/bolt by the end of this week. A couple of winter cabbage left and sprouts as well. Over wintered broad beans too...

So the the cold frame / green house this year:
Tomatoes - Money Maker and Australian Giant Oxheart (hush hush)
Cucumber
Broad Beans
Peas
Spinach
Cut and Come Again Salads

An about 6 different types of flowers including giant penstemon, marigolds (good for carrot fly) and a few other things I can't think of...

Such a pleasure.....

Oh ps - no propagators, heaters, bringing things inside or leaving out or anything at my house, just a crappy plastic cold/frame greenhouse. Quite happy not to rush or force anything to be honest. No need really.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Have to admit that my approach is just to sow stuff, in the greehouse or outside, then water whenever I reckon plants need it. I have never bothered with bringing plants in the house, putting them in propagators or anything else, I just wait until I reckon there is no chance of any more frost or it has started to remain fairly warm at night. Planted my first seeds this morning, just cucumber, courgette, broad beans, peas and tomatoes...which I reckon is the earliest I have started...will begin with the flowers this week. Bought a selection of sun-flowers, five types in one packet from B&Q, so the garden should look fairly bright this year if that lot grow!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Good man! We have sunflowers too!(well our son Arthur does he likes to measure them each year :) ) A few years ago we did minature sunflowers as well and they were really pretty! We've a few fruit trees (1 little apple and 1 little conference pear) and raspberry canes and a blackburrant plant as well. Not a large garden at all, but really the main aim is to enjoy it and grow things to eat and make our little piece of paradise our own. In the middle of summer with the birds tweeting, and our son playing soccer and pottering around picking veg and flowers - there isn't much better...

Although our pond is another story at the moment :-(

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bought a selection of sun-flowers, five types in one packet from B&Q, so the garden should look fairly bright this year if that lot grow!

I brought one of those packs two years ago. At the end of the season we cut off the heads and dried them. Then we picked out the seeds and scatter grew them the next year - fantastic. No need to keep them separate and you get more and more seeds each year all for the price of the first pack !

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Been a bit quiet on the "grow your own" front.

Had a megga harvest just now (French beans, yellow and red Balconi toms, Yellow and green courgettes, mini iceberg lettuce, baby carrots, spring onions and Jersey Royal spuds) ....all this lot has been grown in pots and tubs in me garden with pretty much no effort at all...just watering. Haven't even fed them.

Still got 3 times this amount to come plus all my main crop tomatoes in the greenhouse, chillis, peppers, runner beans, cucumbers and baby leeks....and that doesn't include the bowlfuls of strawberries ive had so far.

001-13.jpg

006-14.jpg

007-14.jpg

009-12.jpg

010-14.jpg

Aalina

Sep 23, 2011
you can grow according to season and your choice. if you want more information then visit google search engine

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Picked up a packet of Scotch Bonnet seeds for two quid at the Chilli Fest last weekend. Big flower pot and small bag of compost now acquired. Game on! :clap:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Picked up a packet of Scotch Bonnet seeds for two quid at the Chilli Fest last weekend. Big flower pot and small bag of compost now acquired. Game on! :clap:

The Lansdowne Nursery on the A259 at Ferring had a range of about 40 different pot grown Chilli plants for no more than £3.99 each. You could have bought the one you fancied, had this years Chillies and had loads of seeds for next year.

victoria stiles

Sep 29, 2011
Australia
It is best idea of gardening. Community gardens allow nearby residents to grow plants- often vegetables and herbs- for the benefit of themselves and the community in a common area. Getting involved in a community garden is a natural way of giving to back to the community and improving your own quality of life.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Scotch Bonnets just poking their heads above the soil NOW! :thumbsup:

just in time for winter cold and gloom...... I fear you have spread your seed too soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports