Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gripes about the stadium

Poppett

Apr 23, 2009
I would like to complain about packed trains coming to the stadium, so much so that it was the fourth train that I managed to board. Long queues to get in and out. Long queues to get food and when I got it, the Hot Dog was stone cold, overpriced beer and an atmosphere probably akin to Bolney Reserves on a wet Tuesday night. (Sorry Bolney but you are too close to Crawley)

This was the national stadium of Rugby Union, Twickenham and the beer was £5 a pint. It is supposed to be a top venue but was totally uninspiring for me.

Thank goodness I can soon get back to the Theatre of Flair with excellent transport links, a rather beautiful environment, quality food and drink at a nearly reasonable price and all with an atmosphere.

Seagulls fans, we have never had it so good and a trip elsewhere would do you good to reset your expectations. Sure it's not always perfect but for me, the Amex is near nirvana. Thank you TB and the team.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I would like to complain about packed trains coming to the stadium, so much so that it was the fourth train that I managed to board. Long queues to get in and out. Long queues to get food and when I got it, the Hot Dog was stone cold, overpriced beer and an atmosphere probably akin to Bolney Reserves on a wet Tuesday night. (Sorry Bolney but you are too close to Crawley)

This was the national stadium of Rugby Union, Twickenham and the beer was £5 a pint. It is supposed to be a top venue but was totally uninspiring for me.

Thank goodness I can soon get back to the Theatre of Flair with excellent transport links, a rather beautiful environment, quality food and drink at a nearly reasonable price and all with an atmosphere.

Seagulls fans, we have never had it so good and a trip elsewhere would do you good to reset your expectations. Sure it's not always perfect but for me, the Amex is near nirvana. Thank you TB and the team.

Excellent post - its too easy to forget where we've come from and what other grounds are like

i would like to complain about packed trains coming to the stadium, so much so that it was the fourth train that i managed to board. Long queues to get in and out. Long queues to get food and when i got it, the hot dog was stone cold, overpriced beer and an atmosphere probably akin to bolney reserves on a wet tuesday night. (sorry bolney but you are too close to crawley)

this was the national stadium of rugby union, twickenham and the beer was £5 a pint. It is supposed to be a top venue but was totally uninspiring for me.

Thank goodness i can soon get back to the theatre of flair with excellent transport links, a rather beautiful environment, quality food and drink at a nearly reasonable price and all with an atmosphere.

Seagulls fans, we have never had it so good and a trip elsewhere would do you good to reset your expectations. Sure it's not always perfect but for me, the amex is near nirvana. Thank you tb and the team.

Never had it so good? Walk up pay on the gate 15p great atmo! 34,000 rochdale on a tuesday night! a knees up on the pitch afterwards,yep brum at home was loads better:facepalm: don't tell people how grateful they should be,we are putting are hands in our pockets and have been for decades,yeah thanks tb but i sure he has enough arse lickers within the club:blush:

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Never had it so good? Walk up pay on the gate 15p great atmo! 34,000 rochdale on a tuesday night! a knees up on the pitch afterwards,yep brum at home was loads better:facepalm: don't tell people how grateful they should be,we are putting are hands in our pockets and have been for decades,yeah thanks tb but i sure he has enough arse lickers within the club:blush:
What a stupid reply - the goldstone was a sh*thole. Even if we were still there we would either have 2,000 seats bolted onto the northstand floor or demolished for a permanent small all seater stand. The east terrace with seats on and no roof, nice! Crappy facilities, toilets from a mexican prison. Yeah great. Its all in your head how nice it was. It was falling apart and that was 15 years ago. No exec boxes, no extra non match day revenues. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I loved the Goldstone more than anyone in history....well perhaps as much as the next man but it had had its day. Love the memories, preferred the team we had in the mid to late seventies but what we have now is amazing. That's not arse-licking, it's fact!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What a stupid reply - the goldstone was a sh*thole. Even if we were still there we would either have 2,000 seats bolted onto the northstand floor or demolished for a permanent small all seater stand. The east terrace with seats on and no roof, nice! Crappy facilities, toilets from a mexican prison. Yeah great. Its all in your head how nice it was. It was falling apart and that was 15 years ago. No exec boxes, no extra non match day revenues.
It did have the deepest baths.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I agree with Poppet. The Amex is near nirvana and the comparison with Twickenham for "matchday experience" is well made.

The only thing that stops every Amex fix being completely, amazingly enjoyable is the whinging of negative/spoilt/ignorant types (JCL or not) who don't understand how good it is.

Ask the average "new" Albion fan about this season and they will tell you how we just can't seem to play consistently decent football and how frustrating it all is.... hahahaha...

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Love the new ground but I always have a place in my heart for the Goldstone pissing in smelly toilets in the chicken run next to Jimmy Greaves and Ron Atkinson who doing match of the day in the scaffolding on the chicken run?:falmer:

I loved the Goldstone more than anyone in history....well perhaps as much as the next man but it had had its day. Love the memories, preferred the team we had in the mid to late seventies but what we have now is amazing. That's not arse-licking, it's fact!

Its a fact but going on about it and thanking tb every day is pretty much like a bum lick:blush:

what a stupid reply - the goldstone was a sh*thole. Even if we were still there we would either have 2,000 seats bolted onto the northstand floor or demolished for a permanent small all seater stand. The east terrace with seats on and no roof, nice! Crappy facilities, toilets from a mexican prison. Yeah great. Its all in your head how nice it was. It was falling apart and that was 15 years ago. No exec boxes, no extra non match day revenues. Wake up and smell the coffee.
its a lovely staduim for the saga gang to grow old in,could put a few lifts in and more hand rails as we settle in to our twilight years:blush:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I always stay for a beer after the game and then walk onto a train no problem. I can see why the trains would be an issue for some though. Personally I can't criticize the Amex at all. It's utterly brilliant.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Love the new ground but I always have a place in my heart for the Goldstone pissing in smelly toilets in the chicken run next to Jimmy Greaves and Ron Atkinson who doing match of the day in the scaffolding on the chicken run?:falmer:

They had toilets at the Goldstone??

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Cheers fella :thumbsup: Top post

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
I fcuking love the Amex. Sure there are issues getting away from Stadium but for Christ sake there are 25,000 people trying to leave the stadium. You could be at Reading and trying to get back to the station there, Aston Villa is shit at getting back if you go by train. Many grounds have issues getting people away from them afterwards. Even if you think about Smellhurst with its multiple stations around it, you still have to walk a fair bit to get to the station and l will leave you with White Hart Lane where you have to talk the length of a post code to get to the station.

So just thank TB and his gang for providing 1st class facilities for watching our beloved Albion.

i fcuking love the amex. Sure there are issues getting away from stadium but for christ sake there are 25,000 people trying to leave the stadium. You could be at reading and trying to get back to the station there, aston villa is shit at getting back if you go by train. Many grounds have issues getting people away from them afterwards. Even if you think about smellhurst with its multiple stations around it, you still have to walk a fair bit to get to the station and l will leave you with white hart lane where you have to talk the length of a post code to get to the station.

So just thank tb and his gang for providing 1st class facilities for watching our beloved albion.

they could thank the 25,000 who turn up?

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I started reading the opening post and thought, "Oh no. Not another negative post," and then read that was about Twickenham! Just to say I am glad that I didn't have my morning cuppa as it would have been spat all over the screen in delight, as I have had just about enough of the negativity that has been posted on here at the moment.

I never went to the Goldstone so I cannot comment. But I can about Gillingham and Withdean. One we paid for their improvements, and the other was good for a couple of years which we all thought would be the maximum time we were going to be there for. Instead we were there for what seemed an eternity, with sometimes poor football and the biggest decision was what waterproofs to wear.

Just to end. Sorry Rev. This is my best time of following the Albion. great football, good young manager, and lastly a great and improving new ground. Hats off to Messieurs Bloom, Knight, Perry and the other members of the board. Onwards and upwards.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester

You are aware that were are 4x as many people at Twickenham on saturday than at the Amex on any given matchday, of course the transport links will be harder to use.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here