Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Greta Thunberg: A year to change the world

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If she could she could fire up the Orient Express, I’m sure China would love to hear all about it. They would welcome her with open arms. I expect she’d fly back though...eventually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you realize the Orient Express doesn’t go to China?

4 days ago I gave you a tip. The tip being that it’s not a wise move to shine a light on your own ignorance when mocking others.........

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thunberg is 18, not a child, I’m not mocking her,just don’t want to be lectured by someone who’s more than likely got a larger carbon footprint than myself. As I said earlier,if she goes on her yacht to China and lectures them she will have my undying admiration...until then..bollox.

How is calling her an 'oddball' not mocking her?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
See a few people bringing up the world over population myth. This is total nonsense. The entire population of the world could fit into Texas.

When you fly on an aeroplane how populated does the land look from the sky?

Yes that's correct its a tiny tiny amount.

If the argument is food scarcity then rich society throws away more food than would be needed to happily feed the rest if the world.

The big issue is that human selfishness imposes our discarded crap on other elements of our ecosystem driven almost entirely by capitalist greed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
See a few people bringing up the world over population myth. This is total nonsense. The entire population of the world could fit into Texas.

When you fly on an aeroplane how populated does the land look from the sky?

Yes that's correct its a tiny tiny amount.

If the argument is food scarcity then rich society throws away more food than would be needed to happily feed the rest if the world.

The big issue is that human selfishness imposes our discarded crap on other elements of our ecosystem driven almost entirely by capitalist greed.

I agree with you on that one. Greed causes shortages not over population.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ll leave this here.

Shown up for being stupid and ignorant (again) and also for claiming to have no interest but making the most posts. I’d also slip off if this was me :lolol:

Will you do a Chicken Brain who once made a similar statement .....then recommenced posting an hour later?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Stop it now Mylene poppet [emoji2958]
How does not wanting a creepy odd bod to lecture me, when she has probably been on more flights in her 18 years than I have,ever amount to bullying?
Let me get back on track here, the clap started this pit bound thread about the Beeb wasting licence fee payers (not me) money on this indulged brat, I said I’m not interested. Then you and the chinless wonder pile on. Once again I’m not interested in what creepy has to say. Got it?

I'd rather not have old misogynist climate change deniers clogging up NSC but I guess we all have our crosses to bear.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Earth's orbit OUT.

Scientists claim to have found the 'missing link' in the process that leads to an ice age on Earth.

Melting icebergs in the Antarctic are the key, say the team from Cardiff University, triggering a series of chain reactions that plunges Earth into a prolonged period of cold temperatures.

The findings have been published today in Nature from an international consortium of scientists from universities around the world.

It has long been known that ice age cycles are paced by periodic changes to Earth's orbit of the sun, which subsequently changes the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface.

However, up until now it has been a mystery as to how small variations in solar energy can trigger such dramatic shifts in the climate on Earth.

In their study, the team propose that when the orbit of Earth around the sun is just right, Antarctic icebergs begin to melt further and further away from Antarctica, shifting huge volumes of freshwater away from the Southern Ocean and into the Atlantic Ocean.

As the Southern Ocean gets saltier and the North Atlantic gets fresher, large-scale ocean circulation patterns begin to dramatically change, pulling CO2 out of the atmosphere and reducing the so-called greenhouse effect.

This in turn pushes the Earth into ice age conditions.

As part of their study the scientists used multiple techniques to reconstruct past climate conditions, which included identifying tiny fragments of Antarctic rock dropped in the open ocean by melting icebergs.

The rock fragments were obtained from sediments recovered by the International Ocean Discovery Program (IODP) Expedition 361, representing over 1.6 million years of history and one of the longest detailed archives of Antarctic icebergs.

The study found that these deposits, known as Ice-Rafted Debris, appeared to consistently lead to changes in deep ocean circulation, reconstructed from the chemistry of tiny deep-sea fossils called foraminifera.

The team also used new climate model simulations to test their hypothesis, finding that huge volumes of freshwater could be moved by the icebergs.

Lead author of the study Aidan Starr, from Cardiff University's School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, said: "We were astonished to find that this lead-lag relationship was present during the onset of every ice age for the last 1.6 million years. Such a leading role for the Southern Ocean and Antarctica in global climate has been speculated but seeing it so clearly in geological evidence was very exciting."

Professor Ian Hall, co-author of the study and co-chief scientist of the IODP Expedition, also from the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, said: "Our results provide the missing link into how Antarctica and the Southern Ocean responded to the natural rhythms of the climate system associated with our orbit around the sun."

Over the past 3 million years the Earth has regularly plunged into ice age conditions, but at present is currently situated within an interglacial period where temperatures are warmer.

However, due to the increased global temperatures resulting from anthropogenic CO2 emissions, the researchers suggest the natural rhythm of ice age cycles may be disrupted as the Southern Ocean will likely become too warm for Antarctic icebergs to travel far enough to trigger the changes in ocean circulation required for an ice age to develop.

Professor Hall believes that the results can be used to understand how our climate may respond to anthropogenic climate change in the future.

"Likewise as we observe an increase in the mass loss from the Antarctic continent and iceberg activity in the Southern Ocean, resulting from warming associated with current human greenhouse-gas emissions, our study emphasises the importance of understanding iceberg trajectories and melt patterns in developing the most robust predictions of their future impact on ocean circulation and climate," he said.

Professor Grant Bigg, from the University of Sheffield's Department of Geography, who contributed to the iceberg model simulations, said: "The groundbreaking modelling of icebergs within the climate model is crucial for identifying and supporting the ice-rafted debris hypothesis of Antarctic iceberg meltwater impacts which are leading glacial cycle onsets."

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Puts a worrying new slant on his train driving job.

"This is the 10.21 service to...**** knows, let's see when we get there shall we?"

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
DJRed_wW0AAKDZo-768x513.jpeg

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I totally get Greta's message; I think she has been extremely valuable in raising awareness of the issue particularly amongst the young.

For me personally, she does need to adjust the way she delivers her message. For anybody who has ever spoken to an audience, whether it be a speech at a wedding, for business reasons, or on the political stage you have to engage with your audience. That means varying the speed, tone and sometimes volume of your delivery. You have to be conscious of your body language too. You need to be passionate and engaging and take your audience, whoever it may be, with you.

I think this may be the reason why older generations may not have taken to her as well as the youngsters. She is monosylabic in her delivery, she glares and seems furious with her audience, no change of facial expression and never even a hint of humour. Even at funerals I have heard celebrants and pastors injecting humour into their eulogies.

Her message is very important; we are contributing to the acceleration of the destruction of our planet. Young Greta could learn much from Sir David Attenborough on how to improve the delivery of her message, particularly to the older generation.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

However, due to the increased global temperatures resulting from anthropogenic CO2 emissions, the researchers suggest the natural rhythm of ice age cycles may be disrupted as the Southern Ocean will likely become too warm for Antarctic icebergs to travel far enough to trigger the changes in ocean circulation required for an ice age to develop.

On the face of it - is that a good thing? We are due another Ice Age, but we don't want it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Puts a worrying new slant on his train driving job.

"This is the 10.21 service to...**** knows, let's see when we get there shall we?"

One can only imagine his confusion when Orient played Brighton.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

4 days ago I gave you a tip. The tip being that it’s not a wise move to shine a light on your own ignorance when mocking others.........

I bet you wish you’d followed this useful tip when you showed your ignorance on the HRH RIP thread last week, misjudgment would be an understatement ��

Anyway back on topic this young lady does incredible work and is a role model to young and old alike!

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

The day I start taking advice from a spiteful skid mark like yourself will be cold day in hell.
I’ll leave this here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I totally get Greta's message; I think she has been extremely valuable in raising awareness of the issue particularly amongst the young.

For me personally, she does need to adjust the way she delivers her message. For anybody who has ever spoken to an audience, whether it be a speech at a wedding, for business reasons, or on the political stage you have to engage with your audience. That means varying the speed, tone and sometimes volume of your delivery. You have to be conscious of your body language too. You need to be passionate and engaging and take your audience, whoever it may be, with you.

I think this may be the reason why older generations may not have taken to her as well as the youngsters. She is monosylabic in her delivery, she glares and seems furious with her audience, no change of facial expression and never even a hint of humour. Even at funerals I have heard celebrants and pastors injecting humour into their eulogies.

Her message is very important; we are contributing to the acceleration of the destruction of our planet. Young Greta could learn much from Sir David Attenborough on how to improve the delivery of her message, particularly to the older generation.

She probably will learn - but we need to remember that most of the time she's speaking in her second language. I've given a few speeches in French in my younger days, and even though I considered myself fairly fluent at the time, they were rather wooden! She also has Asperger's which may account partly for the way she speaks (I'm afraid I don't know enough about the condition). She's also only 18!! I think we need to cut her some slack :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here