Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer Stays as Captain

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Greer is the new Hammond, Barnes, JFC.

This year. He is getting the stick and that's all there is to it.

You can't have gone to many games over the past three seasons then. As a coach you can see his positioning for many goals we concede is poor and yet he has the audacity to blame others for his mistake. Granted we don't know what he's like in the changing rooms but he really has been the weak link in the defence and he got found out more last year because he didn't have Upson next to him.

Whilst Dunky makes mistakes, he is still young and he has covered Greers backside more times I can recall.

I really think that this was a strange decision to make him captain over other players like a fully fit Crofts or Kayal.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I have absolutely no problem with Greer being captain, best man for the job. I can't understand what all the criticism is about. When he was injured last year we really missed him, makes Dunk look better when he plays. Good call Chris, but it was a no brainer to me.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I find this an odd decision. Kayal will start every game when fit and looks like he is captaincy material. Dunk is more likely to stay if he is offered the captaincy and it could take his game to another level.

Greer has thirty games in him, tops. He really struggled at times last season and the captaincy seemed to hinder him rather than help him. I think he should be our third choice centre back. Poor decision from Hughton.

Clearly Hughton has no idea of who his playing staff are and their best attributes, he's picked a rubbish captain because he doesn't know what he's doing. How many times have you spoken to Gordon Greer, watched him train, had team talks with him seen hat he does to motivate other players. Greer feels every goal that we concede, in saying what you've writ your judging the manager not Greer. he's been a good captain and will continue to be so I have no doubt.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
You can't have gone to many games over the past three seasons then. As a coach you can see his positioning for many goals we concede is poor and yet he has the audacity to blame others for his mistake. Granted we don't know what he's like in the changing rooms but he really has been the weak link in the defence and he got found out more last year because he didn't have Upson next to him.

Whilst Dunky makes mistakes, he is still young and he has covered Greers backside more times I can recall.

I really think that this was a strange decision to make him captain over other players like a fully fit Crofts or Kayal.

I haven't got to many games at all no. So the highlights is all I can go on. He definitely makes howlers and he's slow as hell. But the abuse he's got constantly over his time here is something I find strange.

He's been a constant presence in a team which has been transformed from League 1 hoofers to fighting to get into the Premier League. I just think he deserves a little more respect...

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
A captain that is no longer good enough to be in the team!!!

Well says it all really.....

He is the weak link in that back line......Dunk will want to move before he collapses from exhaustation covering his mistakes!!!

This. I'm worried if we are relying on Greer as CB. He got found out so many time last season. He's too slow.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Clearly Hughton has no idea of who his playing staff are and their best attributes, he's picked a rubbish captain because he doesn't know what he's doing. How many times have you spoken to Gordon Greer, watched him train, had team talks with him seen hat he does to motivate other players. Greer feels every goal that we concede, in saying what you've writ your judging the manager not Greer. he's been a good captain and will continue to be so I have no doubt.

100% correct.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I didn't say Greer was a rubbish captain, or that he was a rubbish player, or that he doesn't care. His professionalism and commitment to the club are second to none. However, the facts are that he is getting older, he is less mobile, he is making more errors and he is no longer performing consistently well enough - week in, week out - to be a regular 1st XI player of a Top 6 side.

The fact that his contract with the club ends in 11 months shows that even the club thinks he's nearing the end of his shelf life with us. As it was it was due to expire June 2015 before being negotiated for one more year last December.

I speak as a Greer fan. If I didn't rate him I'd be calling for the club to ship him out, but I think he IS worth a place in the 1st XI squad and with less game time and no captaincy we'll get better quality performances from him.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What has any of that got to do with his ability to be club captain? Huge chunks of it are off field.

What is he captain of then - bibs?

I think the captain's main role is to lead on the pitch, and he can't do that if he's not on the pitch or he's making mistakes on it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What is he captain of then - bibs?

I think the captain's main role is to lead on the pitch, and he can't do that if he's not on the pitch or he's making mistakes on it.

If he's not on the pitch then the deputy ie Calderon or Bruno becomes skipper. He is the club captain.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I love the simpletons who have decided Kayal should be captain purely because he's quite good and appears to shout a lot.

Shithouse response. It's not about him shouting a lot, if you watch him closely he constantly talks to his team mates, organises them, shows them where they should be for set pieces etc. Only a simpleton would say it's "because he shouts a lot"
::thumbsup:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
As a club we need to be looking ahead and always building. In the past couple of years, mainly due to poor recruitment it seems to me, we have been standing still at best. Of course none of us on here knows the dynamics of the relationships in the squad like the manager, but from the outside it just looks like an opportunity to show progress has been missed.

Greer will be ok as captain, he has been ok the last couple of years. For all I know Kayal might be a bit of a git. But it just smacks of no change, when change could be a good thing. A missed opportunity I feel. And we could be in for a few of those this season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is this another example of Hughton being conservative and not taking any risks? If we are trying to seriously sign a top class central defender then isn't that now a little less likely? Keeping Greer as captain suggests the manager is not serious about bringing in a new partner for Dunk, otherwise it seems a bizarre move - unless Dunk IS off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here