Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer Signed - Official

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Does it really matter if Greer isn't the quickest? Don't remember championship winning Norwich having bags of pace at the back in Nelson and Doherty and how many goals did they concede (barring the drumming Colchester gave them).

I agree. Many successful teams have had slow centre backs. As long as we're well organised, a lack of pace at the back won't be a major problem.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I think, as well as a first-choice left winger we also need a back up right winger for Bennett. Throw in a top striker and we'll have a good starting eleven with decent cover.

My one concern with central midfield, despite the numbers we have in there, is that they all seem a bit defensive. Obviously I've not seen half of them play but I was under the impression that Bettipiedi and Sparrow were both deep-lying midfield players? If that is the case we may still need someone in the Hendrie mould.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I think, as well as a first-choice left winger we also need a back up right winger for Bennett. Throw in a top striker and we'll have a good starting eleven with decent cover.

My one concern with central midfield, despite the numbers we have in there, is that they all seem a bit defensive. Obviously I've not seen half of them play but I was under the impression that Bettipiedi and Sparrow were both deep-lying midfield players? If that is the case we may still need someone in the Hendrie mould.
Sparrow's a bit more box-to-box, and will no doubt be encouraged to burst through midfield when have a chance to break (in similar fashion to Crofts last season), I also think Dicker's been developed into a bit more of an attacking midfielder since Gus has come in, though I'm not sure it suits him that well. I agree though in that I think we could do with a couple more attack-minded midfielders/wide-players, especially if we're to continue with 4-5-1 (like I said in the other thread), with an abundance in these particular areas being important.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Sparrow's a bit more box-to-box, and will no doubt be encouraged to burst through midfield when have a chance to break (in similar fashion to Crofts last season), I also think Dicker's been developed into a bit more of an attacking midfielder since Gus has come in, though I'm not sure it suits him that well. I agree though in that I think we could do with a couple more attack-minded midfielders/wide-players, especially if we're to continue with 4-5-1 (like I said in the other thread), with an abundance in these particular areas being important.

I agree. Thinking about it, I believe you're right about Sparrow, I remember reading he was the box-to-box type. If we are to persist with 4-5-1, however, I would like to see us play with one defensive, one box-to-box and one attacking midfield player. That would leave all bases covered, although in that system I suppose it is important that the midfield can move about and rotate their positions.

I also think a left and right winger are now vital.

Still on for Tuesday?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I agree. Thinking about it, I believe you're right about Sparrow, I remember reading he was the box-to-box type. If we are to persist with 4-5-1, however, I would like to see us play with one defensive, one box-to-box and one attacking midfield player. That would leave all bases covered, although in that system I suppose it is important that the midfield can move about and rotate their positions.

I also think a left and right winger are now vital.

Still on for Tuesday?
Yup, agreed with all that. I think if we were to start 4-5-1 with the players we have now, I'd go with Navarro holding, Dicker slightly attacking & Sparrow box-to-box. Though Navarro's spot might be under threat if we sign up Kishishev.

And yes I'll be there!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
The thing is, it's all very well saying he's slow and he's got the turning circle of a tanker but if he did have pace etc then he would be playing alot higher up than us or Swindon!

I trust Gus to get enough out of Greer to increase the number of clean sheets for our promotion push. Not bothered if he isn't good enough for the championship, we'll worry about that later!

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
The thing is, it's all very well saying he's slow and he's got the turning circle of a tanker but if he did have pace etc then he would be playing alot higher up than us or Swindon!

I trust Gus to get enough out of Greer to increase the number of clean sheets for our promotion push. Not bothered if he isn't good enough for the championship, we'll worry about that later!

Lets face it, he wouldn't be the captain of a play off team if he was shit would he?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
This will probably be my only post on here but yeah, I'm disappointed about losing Greer but the difference between him and Cuthbert, is that Greer is replaceable, there are plenty of defenders out there like him, can't really say the same about Cuthbert. If we lost him now then I'd start to worry.
Danny will do his best - but if there were plenty of defenders out there like him - we'd have gone for one of them. It would have been easier.

Apparently Poyet wants to give Cuthbert another year at our feeder club.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Have to agree with this.

This will probably be my only post on here but yeah, I'm disappointed about losing Greer but the difference between him and Cuthbert, is that Greer is replaceable, there are plenty of defenders out there like him, can't really say the same about Cuthbert. If we lost him now then I'd start to worry.

Greer had a good season with us and he contributed a lot to the team. He's a leader, comfortable with the ball at his feet, and he'll give his all for the team. Weak points are definitely pace, giving away stupid free kicks in dangerous positions, and sometimes not being strong enough against bulky forwards even though he looks like a big man himself. He's more than good enough for this league but he will be exposed a lot in the league above, I guess that doesn't really matter yet though.

He's a loss for us but we have so many leaders on the pitch in different positions, we won't suffer as much as some of you probably think. However we do need to sign an experienced leader to play alongside Cuthbert now, and with Wilson's record in the transfer market I have every faith in him signing another quality player to fill the gap.

I hope he does well for you and I genuinely hope you have a good season, I don't hold a stupid grudge like a lot of our fans do. You've been through a lot regarding your stadium issues/financial problems, something we can relate with, it's good to see you on the up again. We're also on the up and I'm excited with the setup we have on and off the pitch, I'm confident we can go one better this season with the squad we have right now.

Good luck Gordon.

A sensible post. you do get the odd one from a rival club every now and then

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
oh sweet f***ing jesus

normal_search-button-for-dummies.jpg

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think the comment about him being comfortable with the ball at his feet is the clincher and why we went for him.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Have to agree with this.

Greer had a good season with us and he contributed a lot to the team. He's a leader, comfortable with the ball at his feet, and he'll give his all for the team. Weak points are definitely pace, giving away stupid free kicks in dangerous positions, and sometimes not being strong enough against bulky forwards even though he looks like a big man himself. He's more than good enough for this league but he will be exposed a lot in the league above, I guess that doesn't really matter yet though.

He's a loss for us but we have so many leaders on the pitch in different positions, we won't suffer as much as some of you probably think. However we do need to sign an experienced leader to play alongside Cuthbert now, and with Wilson's record in the transfer market I have every faith in him signing another quality player to fill the gap.

I hope he does well for you and I genuinely hope you have a good season, I don't hold a stupid grudge like a lot of our fans do. You've been through a lot regarding your stadium issues/financial problems, something we can relate with, it's good to see you on the up again. We're also on the up and I'm excited with the setup we have on and off the pitch, I'm confident we can go one better this season with the squad we have right now.

Good luck Gordon.

Good post, I must admit I can't see where the antagonism between the two sets of fans is coming from, mostly from the Swindon side it seems. I suppose it goes back to the two Play Off games and largely because we mugged you. Yes, we did gloat after the Virgo header and penalty shoot-out, but I think that was mainly relief rather than a desire to get one over Swindon fans. I for one thought we were out of it when Fallon scored in the second match, and was utterly delighted when we turned it round - of course you are going to be a bit gung-ho when that happens. Last season I was genuinely impressed by Swindon's performance, punching above their weight against the likes of Norwich and Leeds and that they were a bit unfortunate to lose to Millwall. I just don't get the hatred - aren't Reading and Oxford more relevant to Swindon? I can understand Leyton Orient feeling themselves to be some kind of new Palace - after all, they did beat us for several seasons running, but Swindon?

As for the signing, I'm delighted with it, as we have not had a leader in central defence since Guy Butters.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Great news. As seems to be the case nowadays in what, 90%+ of transfers, it's for "an undisclosed fee" - anyone got any ideas how much?
???

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Great news. As seems to be the case nowadays in what, 90%+ of transfers, it's for "an undisclosed fee" - anyone got any ideas how much?
???

250k according to the Swindon paper that broke the story

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I like the change of attitude on the Swindon forum from solid pre selling ..to shit now...
They seem to believe there are 'plenty of good center backs' available to replace him... If there were, I imagine Gus would have heard about them as well, instead of persisting with Greer.

bigfanofcullip

Aug 12, 2003
Thought you guys might like to see the following (interview with Greer halfway through).

Miirror's Steve Myall joins Swindon FC for pre season training - mirror.co.uk

This was done last Thursday and I got Steve Myall (the reporter) to ask Mr Greer if he was joining us. He laughed nervously but obviously didn't say anything. Steve said he is a really nice guy who couldn't do enough for him (ditto Danny Wilson).

PS yes it has been a VERY long time since I posted (hence my username!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here