Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer. Is it just me, or is getting worse?

Apr 17, 2011
Shoreham
Agree with OP. Passing has gone to pot. Needs to calm down and not rush. Prone to at least one mistake a game. OG v BMuff plus what was he doing for their second?? Shame Hughes is injured coz I think that GG needs a rest.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Started the season in outstanding form, then has just gone off the boil during the last 2 or 3 games. However I noticed on Saturday that he has some tape around his thigh and across his quad, just wonder if he is carrying a slight strain.

If not everyone has an off spell now and again.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
There's a massive love-in for Greer here. Whilst I appreciate that he "has been a rock" in the past, I'm not sure he's the man we need leading us from the back now. He's letting the team down in all the wrong places. At 33/34 he's not the same man we had playing for us in the last season at Withdean, or the first season at the Amex. I also don't see Dunk making the same mistakes. He doesn't hit wayward passes, and if anything his graft has been a lot harder than Greer's.

Time for you lot to wake up and take off the Greer blindfolds.

As for ignoring Calderon, I've witnessed it for the past two seasons, and I'm as flummoxed as the next man.

Take a bit of pressure off him with a flat back four and I bet his game will improve. Having said that I can see your point re his age and we do need a proper succession plan for central defence. Good to see therefore that Dunk has been impressive this season, probably our best player.

When assessing Greer being 'assured', we must take into account the system we play often leaves him, and Dunk, incredibly exposed at the back and often having to cover 2 positions. Despite what they are 'meant' to do, I actually don't see the midfield 3 being effective in covering those full back positions at all. Add to that, I have thought Greer to be one of the better performers this season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't forget he is playing in system that leaves him and Dunk exposed in any kind of counter attack. That just adds to the pressure that key players like him must be feeling at the moment.

Agree 100%. GG and Dunk are getting stretched all ways, having to cover for the absent full backs. I think they are both doing a remarkable job considering........

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This has been a source of comment for a number of years now. In fact this season Greer has been passing to Calde more than previous. There is something going on. It is really odd.

I've just watched the extended highlights of the Bournemouth game. After Greer's own goal, Calde walks past him, and completely blanks him. Usually there's a pat on the shoulder or waist, to console or encourage, but nothing. Just a glassy stare into the distance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just watched the extended highlights of the Bournemouth game. After Greer's own goal, Calde walks past him, and completely blanks him. Usually there's a pat on the shoulder or waist, to console or encourage, but nothing. Just a glassy stare into the distance.

The fella had just scored against his beloved Brighton.
Just be grateful Calde didn't chin him.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Has two below standard games (because he has set his standard high through being consistently brilliant)...

NSC user brands him passed it...

:ffsparr:

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Ever since Greer has been called up for Scotland he has been dreadful. His through balls have been over hit, his passing has been so wayward. His pace has been even worse than normal, and his positional play has been dire. The only light in an otherwise darkened defensive universe, is his lucky flick on from Habsi's clearance to Baldock.

Its a shame that Hughes has been injured, as after his shift against Spurs, I would have preferred him in Greer's place.

Discuss, please, because Greer is winding me up, and it can't just be me.

it's a minor blip. i rate him higher than most on here, but it does seem theres a lot of people on here that either - just like to moan or aren't knowledgeable. he's been captain and regular starter for the last 3 managers, so he can't be all bad. i've read on nsc way too many times since grears been with us that he's not good enough - i just don't agree. he reads the game well, and is always trying to start passing phases off from the back. this isn't easy in this division but i for one like possesion football and a lot stems from him.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Incredibly harsh on Greer, he has been excellent in general this season bar the last couple of games

Spot on but the last couple of games he has looked like a conference player. Unfortunately the more mistakes he makes the worse he gets, his confidence is shot and it's a shame we can't rest him for a couple of games. The pressure of captaining a struggling team has got to him. Needs a break.

el punal

To me he looks like he's playing with no confidence, belief or desire and when that happens to your captain then you've got problems, It's not just Greer though as it seems to be happening to quite a few of our players.

Up until last Saturday I would have agreed with you. Apart from the glaring mistake with his own goal I thought he was ok and certainly a lot better than against Middlesbrough and Rotherham. As for the rest of the team (and Greer) they played with more passion and desire than I've seen since the Cardiff and Watford games. Just need a couple of wins, and good performances, against Wigan and Blackburn to put us back on course.

Here's hoping!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It's got nothing to do with getting worse or being called up for Scotland. It's called playing in a system, you have no faith in. Being left totally exposed and having a crisis of confidence because of it. He is not alone either, Holla's first four games looked like a player, since then he has been totally ineffective. Bennett's form has dropped off, Gardener??? has he actually contributed anything of any note??? and so on and so on....I can't actually see us winning another game under Hyypia, the players look totally frustrated and lacking in direction.

Jul 7, 2003
I joked with someone recently that if you didn't know better, you might think that Greer was trying to get rid of Sami.

He has been so reliable for the Albion but in the Rotherham game there were two very poor passes that put us into trouble and then the own goal attempt that Stockdale ruined by tipping over the bar. Then at Bournemouth, he slots away a beauty of an OG giving our new keeper no chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here