Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer & Conway Start For Scotland...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No chance, hasn't been dropped by poyet or OG and got the Scotland call,so must be doing something right.

Spot on, Sam. Spot on. A sane voice amongst the mentalists. Our defence has been fabulous for long periods over the course of the 3 seasons Greer has been our first choice centre back, and captain.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Spot on, Sam. Spot on. A sane voice amongst the mentalists. Our defence has been fabulous for long periods over the course of the 3 seasons Greer has been our first choice centre back, and captain.
Yet he's hardly what you'd consider a "fans favourite" - never quite understood why a large portion of our fans (if not the majority - myself included at times) have been so ambivalent towards him through his time at the club. Doesn't even have his own chant, does he? He'll go down as one of our most successful captains for many a year when he does finally move on - regardless of what anyone thinks him, ability-wise. Yet the connection with/warmth from the fans is somewhat lacking when compared with say, Bridcutt or Kuszczak. Strange one.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yet he's hardly what you'd consider a "fans favourite" - never quite understood why a large portion of our fans (if not the majority - myself included at times) have been so ambivalent towards him through his time at the club. Doesn't even have his own chant, does he? He'll go down as one of our most successful captains for many a year when he does finally move on - regardless of what anyone thinks him, ability-wise. Yet the connection with/warmth from the fans is somewhat lacking when compared with say, Bridcutt or Kuszczak. Strange one.

I'd agree with that. His brilliance is just assumed, and he's not given the credit he deserves for how good our team has been from the moment he came along. He made a similar impact at Swindon, but again they didn't really think that much of him. Until he left, and they got relegated after a season of weekly spankings. I don't think we'll end up going the same way, but he is going to be a big miss when he does eventually bow out.

Aside from how well he's played for us, and Swindon beforehand, its such a shame he got started so late. He had so many injury problems, never really got himself a run in the side anywhere. He signed for Doncaster and got himself a knee injury immediately. I think a lot of credit has to go to Danny Wilson for signing him at Swindon, and making him captain straight away, during the season. That would have been 08/09, the season we ended up being salvaged by Russell Slade. Although it looked quite grim when, ironically, Greer scored against us as we lost 3-2 at Withdean...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here