Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greens not confident in Brighton

D

Deleted User X18H

Why do you live in Brighton Tim?

You seem to either despise or completely fail to grasp the quirkiness, creativity, the cosmopolitan air and the live and let live attitude.

In short, so much of what makes Brighton such a ruddy fantastic place seems so much at odds with you. Why do you stick it out?

Because I was born here perhaps. My Father gawd rest his soul stood for the Brighton Trade and Labour party in council election in the 1970's. However he wouldn't have gone as far left as we have now.

Yes Brighton is quirky and creative but is to be represented by in my opinion a glorified pressure group, I think devalues Brighton's political standing.

This MP will be fully focused on Green issues not Brighton ones.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Why do you live in Brighton Tim?

You seem to either despise or completely fail to grasp the quirkiness, creativity, the cosmopolitan air and the live and let live attitude.

In short, so much of what makes Brighton such a ruddy fantastic place seems so much at odds with you. Why do you stick it out?

To be fair like me he was here before they all moved here from OTHER areas with their hippy views or the other side and their frothy lattes and tofu and shit.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
To be fair like me he was here before they all moved here from OTHER areas with their hippy views or the other side and their frothy lattes and tofu and shit.

Why do you, Tim and others continue with this myth that the Green party was voted for by people who were born outside Brighton?

There have been plenty of native Brightonians on NSC alone who have said that they voted for her. I'm sure there's no way of knowing but I wouldn't mind betting more than half Green's support came from people born here. There are an awful lot of people from Brighton disillusioned with the New Labour project who were attracted to the Greens on politics, not lifestyle.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Mate, I do not drink frothy lattes. Just straight up black coffee for me or the occasional soy americano.

But on a serious note, what a load of whiny crap has been spouted by people who cannot understand that some people are genuinely interested in the environment and other left wing politics. The labour party is dead to people like me who had voted for it previously as it has utterly betrayed itself and those who admired it's once strong values. The Green Party have a range of policies and ethos that match mine, so why the f**k shouldn't I vote for it. It's not a poncey lifestyle statement, I voted for what I believe in.

I can understand that others do not share these view and they can vote accordingly, but I am getting pretty hacked off with people telling me why I voted Green just because they are pissed off that their candidate didn't get in.

FFS there will be another election within the year you want to win Brighton Pavilion fight a better campaign and give people something to vote for if you can.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I think devalues Brighton's political standing.

This MP will be fully focused on Green issues not Brighton ones.

I think Brightons political standing has increased immeasurably over the last 15 years and the election of a green candidate only enhances that. It's a city with a sophisticated electorate who've shown that by electing two conservatives and a green replacing incumbent labour MP's. This is no rotten borough that will obediently return absent toffs or corrupt class warriors.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I would be willing to bet that more BORN Brightonians voted for the Greens than did for the Tories (as a percentage share).

It's the young disillusioned Brightonians who have been priced out of owning property thanks to the influx of London types and luvvies who've chosen to make this great city their home. And as a result we want representation from a party that best suits our interests. That will NEVER be the Conservative party.

Whilst all the nouveau Brightonians might give it all that about knitted yoghurt and soya beans, when it comes down to it they don't want to have to pay more nasty taxes on their valuable properties or see junior's seven figure inheritance cut into so they go for the party that only look out for the wealthy and the REAL Brightonians, the ones who have generations of history here, are left angry at the situation and vote DRAMATICALLY for change.

It's an absolute NONSENSE that true locals aren't behind the Green election win because these people are Dr Lucas' CORE demographic. So please would people stop spouting this shit?

The reason your precious Tories didn't get in is because for all the wealth in Brighton and Hove, the centre of town has a huge population of TENANTS who rent either from private landlords or housing associations.

If you're that bothered why not f*** off out to the suburbs where the Tories have control?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you're that bothered why not f*** off out to the suburbs where the Tories have control?

Not in Coldean they don't. I didn't see a single Tory poster here, plenty of Labour and Greens though.

I see that the Argus comments pages have got some of Tim's friends trying to perpetuate this myth that it's incomers who have voted Green - the argument is getting shot down in flames there too.

D

Deleted User X18H

As I say - my perception is Tim is hopelessly out of touch with his home town.

No don't agree many people I have spoken with over the last few hours , Brighton people, are dismayed with the result of this constituency.

But the Greens were the largest share of the vote and that is the wonderful thing about British democracy their leader can represent Brighton Pavilion as its member of Parliament. I just hope she will do just that.

I think I may out of touch with 'new' Brighton population who mostly could not give a toss about the history and heritage of the town, nor the Albion as long as they are seen to be living in Brighton, the place to be.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I think I may out of touch with 'new' Brighton population who mostly could not give a toss about the history and heritage of the town, nor the Albion as long as they are seen to be living in Brighton, the place to be.

To be fair HBB why should they give a toss if they only have just come here.

Brighton has always had a large transigent population and its only when you leave Brighton having been born here that you really realise why so many people like it down here.

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
I would be willing to bet that more BORN Brightonians voted for the Greens than did for the Tories (as a percentage share).

It's the young disillusioned Brightonians who have been priced out of owning property thanks to the influx of London types and luvvies who've chosen to make this great city their home. And as a result we want representation from a party that best suits our interests. That will NEVER be the Conservative party.

Whilst all the nouveau Brightonians might give it all that about knitted yoghurt and soya beans, when it comes down to it they don't want to have to pay more nasty taxes on their valuable properties or see junior's seven figure inheritance cut into so they go for the party that only look out for the wealthy and the REAL Brightonians, the ones who have generations of history here, are left angry at the situation and vote DRAMATICALLY for change.

It's an absolute NONSENSE that true locals aren't behind the Green election win because these people are Dr Lucas' CORE demographic. So please would people stop spouting this shit?

The reason your precious Tories didn't get in is because for all the wealth in Brighton and Hove, the centre of town has a huge population of TENANTS who rent either from private landlords or housing associations.

Ridiculous post I may as well say i would be willing to bet most people who voted Green were students who attend Sussex or Brighton Uni because the Greens targeted Brighton Pav as the only seat they could win nationally.

Come on we all know why this result was so differant from how the rest of the country voted, look at the overall Green vote nationally! Did they really win in Brighton Pav because all us Brightonians who live in North laine and Fiveways etc etc voted for them?

No that is not the reason, of course there are some locals who voted Green but people move to Brighton by choice not economic need and that is the significant factor. They can vote Green, if it really mattered and the Greens could actually wield power it would be another result. If you have read their manifesto and then voted for them you are either mentally ill, you ignore reality, or you want to make history,as I was told by a Green supporter!!!

Good luck to them thats democracy but really it is a travesty

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ridiculous post I may as well say i would be willing to bet most people who voted Green were students who attend Sussex or Brighton Uni because the Greens targeted Brighton Pav as the only seat they could win nationally.

Come on we all know why this result was so differant from how the rest of the country voted, look at the overall Green vote nationally! Did they really win in Brighton Pav because all us Brightonians who live in North laine and Fiveways etc etc voted for them?

No that is not the reason, of course there are some locals who voted Green but people move to Brighton by choice not economic need and that is the significant factor. They can vote Green, if it really mattered and the Greens could actually wield power it would be another result. If you have read their manifesto and then voted for them you are either mentally ill, you ignore reality, or you want to make history,as I was told by a Green supporter!!!

Nurse! The pills ...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I would say that's one of Tiddles' inane rantings, but it can't be as the punctuation is about right.

Isn't it incredible that so many incomers to Brighton just so happen to want to vote Green, and that people who move to other cities just don't do that. Remarkable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here