Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Green Party attempt to ban cars in Central Brighton

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I went to Utrecht in November. Cars are still allowed everywhere except the main Centre of town similar to Brighton. There are bicycle's everywhere but its totally flat for miles. The trams were only Central. Utrecht Central is also a lot smaller than Brighton. I think the bus service is actually better here in Brighton.
Brighton Centre is pretty much car free except for buses/taxis. If we were to go like Utrecht then we would need to stop buses/taxis from North Street and Western Road.
Are you sure "Brighton centre is pretty much car free" :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
will all the traffic cops get the sack ?.

I’m sure there will still be plenty of angry middle-aged lazy male motorists to arrest and jail.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is part of Mouldy Boots and Chicken Run’s logic that unless you refrain from all air travel, you’re ‘virtue signalling’ if you talk about the environment.

So basically you cannot support making part of the centre of Brighton car free and go on holiday. :hilton:

It’s the ultimate in moronic whataboutery. It’s almost like people who want clean air to breathe need to be painted as radical extremists. :lolol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
So massive park and rides, how far outside the town and where, with electric buses, will need some planning by 2023

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
City is about having fun. Has been since the Prince Regent.:wave::banana:
And nothing screams fun like rules and regulations!

I don't mind there being sections that are traffic free, but would hope there's still reasonable disabled access.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It’s only private cars......wouldn’t affect taxis (they’ll love it, no traffic and much more business)

If they are making busses electric, which is the growth of the blue busses around town, then I would be even more radical and make it a requirement that only electric zero emissions taxis be allowed south of the station!

And yes, why not look at a tram system from Brighton station, down to the seafront, turning around by the i360 and back up . Have a line down queens road turning left at the clock tower and down to the stiene (so) and also turning right along western road.

Yes it is pie in the sky as we don’t have the money, but visiting overseas cities you can see how tram systems are really handy as a mass population movement system.

I think most people apart from the usual suspects on here, do realise that we have to do something about the levels of carbon pollution and to be honest most of us on here will be dead a long time before that is seriously attacked. This is a problem that our children and grandchildren will inherit and at least we should start planning for it....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm fed up with all this ninnying around so this is what's gonna happen:-

- Palace Pier to Montpelier Rd vehicle free except buses.
- Likewise Monty to Western, Western to North Street.
- Queens Road also buses only.
- The Lanes and North Laine car free between 8am and 6pm.
- The now obsolete NCP car park on the left of Queens Road to be made 'residents only'.

- Trolley bus/tram/monorail/waterslide loop build is complete.
- Buses removed from the city.

- The process begins again pushing up to Seven Dials.

Only this time everybody will be desperate for it to happen sooner because the f**kin idiots who currently can't look beyond the end of their noses will finally see the benefit.

I HAVE SPOKEN - MAKE IT SO.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And nothing screams fun like rules and regulations!

I don't mind there being sections that are traffic free, but would hope there's still reasonable disabled access.

I can’t imagine they are going to overlook the disabled access.

Folks shouldn’t worry, they are not going to declare this overnight. There will be a process.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It’s the ultimate in moronic whataboutery. It’s almost like people who want clean air to breathe need to be painted as radical extremists. :lolol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it runs deeper than that. Maybe they had a relative that ran off with a Boeing 747 and they've not got over it yet.

D

Deleted member 2719

I will definitely stop flying into Brighton.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

I am sure you were just jesting.

But ironically, some of the numpties will believe they have done there bit by stopping cars going into Brighton centre, but still, emit carbon without blinking by the ton, while flying out several times a year.

:nono:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

But ironically, some of the numpties will believe they have done there bit by stopping cars going into Brighton centre, but still, emit carbon without blinking by the ton, while flying out several times a year.

Probably best to just do nothing.

It’s “their”.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

If anyone did think that I would agree that they are numpties. However I have enough faith in people tp believe that such numpties are few and far between.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For a small city centre like Brighton has this absolutely 100% makes sense.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010

Have you thought that perhaps people might be in favour because Brighton would actually be a more pleasant place to be if the centre was pedestrianised? As opposed to just for Green reasons?

If you've ever been to Naples there is a perfect example there - the 2km promenade along the seafront that used to be a 6 lane road. You can read about it here

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I don't disagree with your overall sentiment that everyone needs to do their bit both for their own footprint, and their desire for larger politically led changes.

However, improving Brighton city centre is worth more than just the consideration of emissions. It will make it a more desirable place to visit, enable easier access improving wheelchair/pushchair accessibility. It will add the necessary improvements to the retail experience to keep it relevant against online competition.

The death of the high street will happen if the high street doesn't change and evolve. The facts and figures are there from European cities that have done the same thing and their economic data before and after.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Sneering cynicism in itself does not add to carbon emissions, so you can give yourself a pat on the back for that one.

However people deserve some credit for being open to change. Your stance that anyone concerned about climate change should disavow themselves of all their worldly goods and live a life of meditation is at odds with your view that they would then be workshy spongers. Why do you feel the need to set the bar impossibly high for everyone else?

We are on a journey and it will be easier if people are open to change. No one can do everything in one giant step, so it needs to be a series of incremental changes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here