[Albion] Green Party attempt to ban cars in Central Brighton

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Having read all the brilliant, well thought out and eloquently expressed arguments against this idea, I all firmly in the 'good idea' camp.

Luckily there are plenty of cities around the world that can provide a model.

Should have done this years ago.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
[SUB][/SUB]

She is such a t**t.

Was funny her losing her deposit in the General Election.

Power mad though. She has to be on the Council, Mayor, and MEP and now an MP.

Pathetic cretin.

A mayor is always on the council. Her MEP status is ending soon. It was never going to last long this time. Had she been elected MP everything would have changed. It was the Green group's turn to provide the mayor (it goes in cycles).

The Tory candidate in Kemptown was a current councillor. Alex knew she was never going to win. Her standing raised the profile for the Greens though.

Facts, eh ?

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Good idea. Not a resident but think it would be a nice touch.

Anyone that's triggered by this (we're looking at you worthingseagull123 and our resident Nazi)...well at least you're trying :lolol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Good idea. Not a resident but think it would be a nice touch.

Anyone that's triggered by this (we're looking at you worthingseagull123 and our resident Nazi)...well at least you're trying [emoji38]ol:
Are they triggered it just virtue signaling? The lack of a coherant counter argument suggests it is one of the two.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
How will the mayor get around ? will all the traffic cops get the sack ? how will taxi drivers get to work ? will we sign anyone who doesn't drive a car .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How will the mayor get around ? will all the traffic cops get the sack ? how will taxi drivers get to work ? will we sign anyone who doesn't drive a car .

It’s only private cars......wouldn’t affect taxis (they’ll love it, no traffic and much more business)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Sorry, what relevance does that have and why are you interested in my comings and goings?

Normally I wouldn’t be the slightest bit interested,but YOU created a thread saying you were heading off for some Winter Sun probably the Canaries mid January, when you put it out in the public domain(Timmy will confirm this) it does become relevant and I do become interested!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Normally I wouldn’t be the slightest bit interested,but YOU created a thread saying you were heading off for some Winter Sun probably the Canaries mid January, when you put it out in the public domain(Timmy will confirm this) it does become relevant and I do become interested!

What’s that got to do with banning cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What’s that got to do with banning cars?

This is part of Mouldy Boots and Chicken Run’s logic that unless you refrain from all air travel, you’re ‘virtue signalling’ if you talk about the environment.

So basically you cannot support making part of the centre of Brighton car free and go on holiday. :hilton:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just seems odd that anybody should oppose making the centre of town a far more pleasant place to shop, walk or cycle. Central Brighton is maybe half a mile across, probably less. You can get from anywhere to anywhere else on foot in about twenty minutes. How much nicer it would be for people not to be hemmed in on pavements while cars clog the streets.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Taxi drivers take their taxis home, so use them to ‘get to work’.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Different thread, different topic. Very odd thing to bring up here. Strange boy.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You can get something pretty big on a bus, probably bigger than you can in most cars. They all have good sized luggage areas

Another bollocks argument

Only if you do not mind being an utter inconvenience to the driver and other passengers, and looking like the village idiot.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
The tweet refers ,as an example to York, but when I went there they had large car parks on the perimeter and park and ride buses in. The city was still chocked

I wonder how it would work with pedestrians mingling with the exceptions, like taxis delivery vans, buses etc. That's still quite a lot of vehicles. I'd be allowed, according to the tweet, as a blue badge holder.... I guess we will wait and see.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I have been to Ghent, with pals, I don't remember many Trams ?... I was mostly pissed though.

I went to Utrecht in November. Cars are still allowed everywhere except the main Centre of town similar to Brighton. There are bicycle's everywhere but its totally flat for miles. The trams were only Central. Utrecht Central is also a lot smaller than Brighton. I think the bus service is actually better here in Brighton.
Brighton Centre is pretty much car free except for buses/taxis. If we were to go like Utrecht then we would need to stop buses/taxis from North Street and Western Road.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A brilliant idea. And it has been tested and works in many cities around the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here