Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Green Party attempt to ban cars in Central Brighton

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Ubereats, Deliveroo and Just Eat self-employed delivery drivers in private cars would suffer lots...How would they get to Itsu, Nandos, McDonalds etc in central Brighton ?? Number plate recognition or 'tough shit buster' ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They should make this change purely based on improving the city centre. It's not attracting the footfall it should do and improvements could dramatically improve it's accessibility.

This is an important point: there's a lot of research that shows that restricting cars in urban centres is good for businesses. Brighton's shops and restaurants would certainly benefit.

But the improvements to health would be massive - more walking, more cycling, better air quality ... the NHS would certainly see the advantages.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't know how you do it [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION].

We've been through this so many times, with so much evidence from more forward thinking cities around the planet.

I have made the obvious evaluation those on here who are pro car fall into one of two not mutually exclusive camps.

They are either:-

Wind up merchants
Or
Simpletons.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Agreed. I just hate the way it’s infrastructure has been allowed to degenerate whilst money has been spent on non priority projects. It worries me that the legacies left by the Victorians/Edwardians in terms of roads, rail, architecture, sewers etc is now crumbling away. We have thousands of students taking over residential areas and are increasing the size of schools without care for the locality. The council can’t afford to keep the place clean, the green spaces are being sold off, etc. Rant over but for those who have been around in the good times, it really is very sad,

Fair enough, can't argue with some of those points. Imo it's still a brilliant place to be, tourists and outsiders seem to love it here for the most part (the other week I was chatting to a group of sheff utd fans after the game who'd been down since Friday lunch and were really impressed with the city and the vibe for example). But hopefully schemes such as this will actually come to fruition which will really help to change the city for the better again.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Ubereats, Deliveroo and Just Eat self-employed delivery drivers in private cars would suffer lots...How would they get to Itsu, Nandos, McDonalds etc in central Brighton ?? Number plate recognition or 'tough shit buster' ?

I’d like to see these maniacs off the road anyway. Far too many of them, they’re a nuisance. They line the pavements outside food shops, clog up the counters at fast food restaurants, just a pain.
However, fast food chains as well as keeping the city centre store shops for footfall are now also operating out of huge out of town kitchens which is where most of the delivery trade is going to operate from.
They know which way the wind is blowing.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
Then get it delivered. Or drive to one of the many, many out of town retail parks. It’s really not that hard.

I didn't say it was. But it can be impossibly impractical and to consider a blanket ban on people collecting goods in cars is just ridiculous.

I was merely reacting to a bollocks statement.

You might as well have said ban cars, period, but that would be a bollocks statement too

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Banning cars from city centres would absolutely include a ban on driving your car into a city centre to collect items. Of course it would. Tough luck for those too clueless to get stuff delivered or too lazy to drive out of town to a retail park.

These changes are coming.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

is that an argument in favour or against?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I don't think this is referring to the whole of central Brighton. My understanding is you might go from the station to clock tower link up with Churchill Square, and do the same with some of the North Laine roads maintaining reasonable access for residents only and not thoroughfares. You would obviously need to maintain access for post etc. but this can be achieved with good planning.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Many towns and cities across the world use this system. So, no. It’s not impossible.
But if office blocks like the ones in queens road and also along Western road require deliveries how will this happen when they are only open 9 to 5.

I am all for car free town centre, but to just say deliveries can only be made to these places between 9 pm and 6 am is not viable.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But if office blocks like the ones in queens road and also along Western road require deliveries how will this happen when they are only open 9 to 5.

I am all for car free town centre, but to just say deliveries can only be made to these places between 9 pm and 6 am is not viable.

It would be simple enough to plan certain access roads to be designated areas where deliveries can occur. It would obviously need detailed planning, but viable.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It would be simple enough to plan certain access roads to be designated areas where deliveries can occur. It would obviously need detailed planning, but viable.

I have been to Ghent, with pals, I don't remember many Trams ?... I was mostly pissed though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What our city is about?

Most of these Green tossers are not even from Brighton.

Look at our waste of space Mayor for example.

13106-posts.facebook_lg.jpg

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I’d like to see these maniacs off the road anyway. Far too many of them, they’re a nuisance. They line the pavements outside food shops, clog up the counters at fast food restaurants, just a pain.
However, fast food chains as well as keeping the city centre store shops for footfall are now also operating out of huge out of town kitchens which is where most of the delivery trade is going to operate from.
They know which way the wind is blowing.

Manic car drivers ? Cars lining the pavements? Are you for real? This thread is about cars being banned

Reactionary prat who dosen't give a toss about other peoples livelyhoods more like...

You sounded reasonable on the Brexit thread but just as ignorant as the ppfs of this world !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here