Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Green Party attempt to ban cars in Central Brighton

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Younger folk in you’re talking out of your arse shocker!

I'm not that young, but I know that all cities fluctuate somewhat- central brighton needs a bit of a scub up in certain areas at the moment and needs schemes such as the op in this thread to move the city forward, but it's still got bloody loads going for it as a city and loads of lovely areas, and is certainly in no way full of 'filth and scum' as a certain poster who doesn't even live here suggested.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
completely right. Making Brighton centre car free as some sort of vitual signalling for global climate problems is about as realistic as thinking you can help solve the Aussie fires by taking a piss in the bush.

What is the problem? is it cars? or is certain categories of emissions?

What is greener allowing electric cars into Brighton and banning diesel busses? or vice versa.... its bollocks.

Even modern blue motion diesel cars which convert the Nitrous Oxide are far greener than many of the shitty older busses in the city centre.

Lets see the actual science versus the politics that also hinders old people, the disabled, families with young kids, prams and all the shit you need to carry as parents.

Utter rubbish, especially the bit I've highlighted. I guess you missheard a gammon conversation down the pub :shrug:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What fun it would be carrying, and attempting to take on a bus, a 52" plasma TV. A bollocks statement.
And how many 52 inch tvs are curry's in town going to sell? Doubt they even have any in stock. That type of sale will be online or out of town now. Even if they do sell them, getting it back to your car probably won't be any easier than getting it on a bus.

Even if this type of sale did have any impact on the local economy, which it doesn't, it wouldn't a big enough to justify having any input into the cities transport plan

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I'm not that young, but I know that all cities fluctuate in fortunes - central brighton needs a bit of a scub up in certain areas at the moment and needs schemes such as the op in this thread, but it's still got bloody loads going for it as a city and loads of lovely areas, and is certainly in no way full of 'filth and scum' as a certain poster who doesn't even live here suggested.

Having seen Brighton change in the last 30 years, trust me there is filth and scum.

The trouble is the councils have tolerated and encouraged it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I wouldn’t want to live in Brighton now. Not the town I grew up in. so much filth and scum there now.

So who are this 'filth and scum' who have arrived hence ? Your comment is rather general.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
What fun it would be carrying, and attempting to take on a bus, a 52" plasma TV. A bollocks statement.

And how often do you do that?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm not that young, but I know that all cities fluctuate somewhat- central brighton needs a bit of a scub up in certain areas at the moment and needs schemes such as the op in this thread to move the city forward, but it's still got bloody loads going for it as a city and loads of lovely areas, and is certainly in no way full of 'filth and scum' as a certain poster who doesn't even live here suggested.

People who cannot afford Brighton always say it’s “going to rack and ruin”.
Tramps were ****ing each other in the public gardens in Worthing a couple of months ago. The town centre there is a toilet.
Beggars and street drinkers line the town centre and grotty pubs, pool clubs and filthy back streets infest the place.
To be fair, Brighton centre has become a shite hole but to offer up Worthing as a nicer alternative? Ha!!

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I'm not that young, but I know that all cities fluctuate in fortunes - central brighton needs a bit of a scub up in certain areas at the moment and needs schemes such as the op in this thread, but it's still got bloody loads going for it as a city and loads of lovely areas, and is certainly in no way full of 'filth and scum' as a certain poster who doesn't even live here suggested.

Agreed. I just hate the way it’s infrastructure has been allowed to degenerate whilst money has been spent on non priority projects. It worries me that the legacies left by the Victorians/Edwardians in terms of roads, rail, architecture, sewers etc is now crumbling away. We have thousands of students taking over residential areas and are increasing the size of schools without care for the locality. The council can’t afford to keep the place clean, the green spaces are being sold off, etc. Rant over but for those who have been around in the good times, it really is very sad,

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Utter rubbish, especially the bit I've highlighted. I guess you missheard a gammon conversation down the pub :shrug:

I don't need to listen to conversations in the pub, it is virtue signalling, rooted in politics and not reality.

Apologies for the simple spelling error.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Having seen Brighton change in the last 30 years, trust me there is filth and scum.

The trouble is the councils have tolerated and encouraged it.

Interesting perspective. I don’t get into town much these days as we tend to go to Lewes/the Amex only. We looked at moving to Brighton around 25 years ago but decided against because we thought it not a pleasant place to bring up kids. I had assumed the city had improved since that time basis our rare days out in Summer time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
completely right. Making Brighton centre car free as some sort of vitual signalling for global climate problems is about as realistic as thinking you can help solve the Aussie fires by taking a piss in the bush.

What is the problem? is it cars? or is certain categories of emissions?

What is greener allowing electric cars into Brighton and banning diesel busses? or vice versa.... its bollocks.

Even modern blue motion diesel cars which convert the Nitrous Oxide are far greener than many of the shitty older busses in the city centre.

Lets see the actual science versus the politics that also hinders old people, the disabled, families with young kids, prams and all the shit you need to carry as parents.

Are you suggesting the current avenue from the station to West Street, with North Street, North Road, the clock tower and awkward pavements to Churchill Square are adequately serving the disabled and families with young children? :mad: Try navigating the simple walk from Churchill Square to North Street with a pushchair and a kid or two, there is barely room to pass anyone and traffic everywhere to negotiate. It's a bit shocking.

They should make this change purely based on improving the city centre. It's not attracting the footfall it should do and improvements could dramatically improve it's accessibility.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
think you may find most of the businesses who want deliveries are closed then

Yeah. I guess they’d have to stay open a bit later for deliveries. Like TK Maxx does. Maybe that’s not the answer but just regurgitating the age old “but this is the way we have always done it, we can’t possibly change it” is exactly why we are in so much trouble.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
And how many 52 inch tvs are curry's in town going to sell? Doubt they even have any in stock. That type of sale will be online or out of town now. Even if they do sell them, getting it back to your car probably won't be any easier than getting it on a bus.

Even if this type of sale did have any impact on the local economy, which it doesn't, it wouldn't a big enough to justify having any input into the cities transport plan

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

It was obviously an extreme example. People in general would simply not want to carry anything they can't fit in a shopping bag on a bus.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It was obviously an extreme example. People in general would simply not want to carry anything they can't fit in a shopping bag on a bus.

Then get it delivered. Or drive to one of the many, many out of town retail parks. It’s really not that hard.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't need to listen to conversations in the pub, it is virtue signalling, rooted in politics and not reality.

Apologies for the simple spelling error.

:lolol: fair enough.

But it isn't virtue signaling at all, though. I really don't think a green elected politician would be motivated to make such a move by a desire to virtue signal (especially given it is bound to wind up tories and gammon). It is merely an obvious corollary of Green politics. Moreover it is a successful and popular intervention in numrous towns.

Anyway, you are arguing motive. That is a fallacy since I could argue back that because you are a tory you are virtue signalling your disdain to like-minded folk (and I am not a Green, no sir, nor do I assume toy are a tory, but the point remains: attributing an act to virtue-signaling is not analysis, it is a slur).

On a more serious note, it would all be more appealing if Brighton and Hove had a better park and ride and public transport system. That said, nobody in their right mind drives down Western Road expecting to park up central and shop do they? This will revive that part of town, in my view. I'd be quite excited by it, if I lived there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here