[Albion] Green Party attempt to ban cars in Central Brighton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Every single forward-thinking car-free shopping zone in the world will have come up with a perfectly adequate workaround for that old chestnut. Why would Brighton be any different?

Because this is Brighton!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I love Brighton but don't live there. On the one occasion I come down to stay each year, Marathon Weekend, I come down in the car. The rhino is tough to bring down on the train. But I honestly wouldn't mind at all if this measure came in. Forward thinking and not before time so long as the council subsidised public transport to facilitate getting around.

We use the bus to get into town because driving in and around Brighton is costly and time consuming. Irony is that the buses spew out more crap than the cars. Ban cars and increase the number of buses and we’ll all choke to death. Bring on the monorail.

hmm when was the last time you went on a bus - at least 25% of them are all electric now. im sure the bus co would bend over backwards to buy more knowing their passenger numbers could double or treble.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I love Brighton but don't live there. On the one occasion I come down to stay each year, Marathon Weekend, I come down in the car. The rhino is tough to bring down on the train. But I honestly wouldn't mind at all if this measure came in. Forward thinking and not before time so long as the council subsidised public transport to facilitate getting around.

aren't the bus's subsidised by the parking charges/fines etc already ?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
For social media/dinner party virtue signalling reasons or self-delusion that they are 'saving the planet'?

completely right. Making Brighton centre car free as some sort of vitual signalling for global climate problems is about as realistic as thinking you can help solve the Aussie fires by taking a piss in the bush.

What is the problem? is it cars? or is certain categories of emissions?

What is greener allowing electric cars into Brighton and banning diesel busses? or vice versa.... its bollocks.

Even modern blue motion diesel cars which convert the Nitrous Oxide are far greener than many of the shitty older busses in the city centre.

Lets see the actual science versus the politics that also hinders old people, the disabled, families with young kids, prams and all the shit you need to carry as parents.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No. Unfortunately despite growing up in Brighton I could not afford to live there. Thanks to all these ********s and lovies that moved down from London and seeing all the house prices shoot up.

It is better to have a house in Worthing than a flat in Brighton.

Funny thing though, Worthing is actually a nicer place to live than Brighton. Brighton went down hill in early 2000s.

So you're railing against a policy that doesn't affect you made by people you couldn't elect as a result of envy. At least we know where we all stand.

this will kill shops like Argos, Currys/PC World and all retailers where bulk items need to be collected and cant be carried on public transport. Cant see too many people paying to travel to the town centre to buy something and then having to pay delivery charges to have it delivered back home.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just think. In three years time we could have a real reduction in town centre pollution and accidents AND also no fat bloke in a Union Jack waistcoat hammering out a poorly written twitter feed about how great Boris is. Local politics is wonderful.

D

Deleted member 2719

I assume all the people supporting this banning of cars in Brighton will also stop flying???

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Bring back trolley buses.

i used to flirt with these or trams, came to conclusion there is no advantage over electric buses, which are more flexible too.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I need to see the proposed area to be pedestrianised, before I make an informed comment.......but regardless, it still won't stop Lewes Road being a complete nightmare

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
hmm when was the last time you went on a bus - at least 25% of them are all electric now. im sure the bus co would bend over backwards to buy more knowing their passenger numbers could double or treble.

Yesterday. It was diesel. Mostly filled with wrinklies like me whips don’t have to pay. I do think the rules on free bus passes needs looking at. Whilst those who are only on a basic pension must qualify, there are others who could afford to pay, including me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports