Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Green Party attempt to ban cars in Central Brighton

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As a starter, i'd go, Brighton Station to the Clock Tower to the bottom of West St. Plus the entirety of the area around the Lanes and North Laine.

Think it would be transformative. The areas that really work in Brighton are already pedestrianised. Clock Tower Piazza would be amazing with a tree lined avenue from the station.

City lacks real progressives though who just cannot see past their car keys.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We use the bus to get into town because driving in and around Brighton is costly and time consuming. Irony is that the buses spew out more crap than the cars. Ban cars and increase the number of buses and we’ll all choke to death. Bring on the monorail.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
https://twitter.com/amyheley/status/1216721857434525697?s=21

Why do people vote for nutters like this?

Hopefully the council will reject it.

nutter.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We use the bus to get into town because driving in and around Brighton is costly and time consuming. Irony is that the buses spew out more crap than the cars. Ban cars and increase the number of buses and we’ll all choke to death. Bring on the monorail.
Hmmmmm, you might want to look into that.

Oh and #TeamWaterSlide.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think it would be a much needed shock to some. I know it's not Brighton centre but when I see people sat in their cars in McDonald's car park in Shoreham and have staff bring their "meals" to them I know the car has taken over. cannot even be arsed to walk 10 metres to get food.

Brighton and the surrounding areas are very, very well serviced bu busses. Stagecoach and B&H busses. No excuse to take a car into town these days. Some better disabled facilities on public transport would be required though , for sure.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Think is cars are not allowed on main roads through Brighton like north street, western road ...but exemptions are taxis, busses, white vans for contractors and delivery trucks.

Problem is they need to access Brighton to deliver stuff to shops and delivery trucks tend to be diesel chucking out crap!

Agree to banning cars but need to know where from

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For those seemingly unable to click on the link:-

car.jpg

All of you getting your knickers in a twist, you might want to back down, for a few...

...YEARS.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
What complete nonsense. Seems to me that every day someone comes up with an idea for a ban for something. Just where do they suppose the traffic banned from the city centre will go? And given the level of parking charges the only effect will be to drive people away from Brighton. We already experience some of this out at Falmer – try driving up half an hour before kick- off and finding a car parking space.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So far is it about 30 for, and 2 against? :lolol:

Great thread.

Everyone who would support the OP is unfortunately stuck in traffic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here