Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Green kit last night

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Since football began in 1992, every single team that has ever won the Premier League has played in either red, or blue.

Neither Plymouth Argyle, Yeovil or Celtic have ever won the Premier League.

Prosecution rests.

But your're referring to home colours, not away kits! Man Utd had a green and yellow kit in 92-94!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I haven’t seen the stats, but I’m pretty sure that wearing a kit which blends in with the green pitch, and makes it harder for players to spot each other particularly in peripheral vision, reduces a team’s chances of winning by around 73%.

The Quickly Kevin podcast has a brilliant interview with Gary Neville (and if you don't like him now you will after listening) where he talks about that grey kit and the thinking behind the change. Really interesting. You'd be interested.

https://play.acast.com/s/quicklykevin/garyneville-s04e03

https://play.acast.com/s/quicklykevin/garyneville-s04e03-part2of2-

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
According to PB it has outsold the yellow kit. As I have said many times I would like the white kit with blue edgjng a la Freddie Goodwin as our change strip, not that I would buy one.

When Freddie Goodwin was manager we played in blue shirts with white sleeves and white shorts and socks. We changed to white with blue trim after he left (although it was probably his idea).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Since football began in 1992, every single team that has ever won the Premier League has played in either red, or blue.

Neither Plymouth Argyle, Yeovil or Celtic have ever won the Premier League.

Prosecution rests.
Celtic in the green did rather well in Europe at one time (and tbf, they've been rather successful in their own league) -nand I reckon if that Celtic team from 1967 to 1970ish had been in the English 1st.division they wouldn't have been far off winning it, either.

The problem is really with the stripes. No team in stripes has ever won the PL, and I'm pretty sure that no team in any stripes, let alone blue and white ones, has won the English league championship since the war. And no, just in case anyone doubts it, I never want to see The Albion stop wearing the blue and white stripes, regardless.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was sure he brought it in as he wanted us to look like Leeds and hopefully play like them.

Like when we brought in the all-blue Chelsea kit - to make us play like Chelsea? The trouble is, it worked - Chelsea were in the 2nd. division at the time, where we quickly joined them after the Cup Final!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I was sure he brought it in as he wanted us to look like Leeds and hopefully play like them.

As I said, it was his idea but he left for Birmingham before we played in it. Pat Saward was manager when we wore it, and we had a crap season, then went back to stripes and got promoted.

Clough had the same idea of changing to all white with blue trim but he left for the real Leeds before we played in it and Peter Taylor was manager when we wore it. And we had a crap season.then went back to stripes and just missed out on promotion.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Celtic in the green did rather well in Europe at one time (and tbf, they've been rather successful in their own league) -nand I reckon if that Celtic team from 1967 to 1970ish had been in the English 1st.division they wouldn't have been far off winning it, either.

The problem is really with the stripes. No team in stripes has ever won the PL, and I'm pretty sure that no team in any stripes, let alone blue and white ones, has won the English league championship since the war. And no, just in case anyone doubts it, I never want to see The Albion stop wearing the blue and white stripes, regardless.

Whereas in Italy and Spain teams in stripes (Juventus, Milan, Inter, Barcelona, Atletico) win league titles all the time. There's nothing inherently wrong with stripes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whereas in Italy and Spain teams in stripes (Juventus, Milan, Inter, Barcelona, Atletico) win league titles all the time.

But not in England!

It may be only a coincidence - but as a binary choice (stripes or no stripes) 70 years plus is one hell of a coincidence! Has anyone in stripes succeeded since Huddersfield Town, nearly a hundred years ago?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
But not in England!

It may be only a coincidence - but as a binary choice (stripes or no stripes) 70 years plus is one hell of a coincidence! Has anyone in stripes succeeded since Huddersfield Town, nearly a hundred years ago?

No, although Newcastle came close. But some title-winning teams have had striped away kits (Man City's red and black in 1968, Blackburn ditto in 95, Manchester United blue and white on occasions)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, although Newcastle came close. But some title-winning teams have had striped away kits (Man City's red and black in 1968, Blackburn ditto in 95, Manchester United blue and white on occasions)
True, and so did West Brom and Southampton. Your point about away kits is right enough, but you can't really count that as stripes winning the League. I can't imagine either Citeh or United being inspired by calls of 'Come on you stripes'!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here