Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Greek Vacation

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
no reason we cant try to maintain some standards, we dont have to lazily accept foreign idioms into our language.

Reason: Middle English: from Old French reisun (noun), raisoner (verb), from a variant of Latin ratio(n- ), from the verb reri ‘consider’.

Maintain: Middle English (also in the sense ‘practise an action habitually’): from Old French maintenir, from Latin manu tenere ‘hold in the hand’.

Standards: Middle English (denoting a flag raised on a pole as a rallying point, the authorized exemplar of a unit of measurement, or an upright timber): shortening of Old French estendart, from estendre ‘extend’; in sense 4 of the noun, sense 5 of the noun, sense 6 of the noun, influenced by the verb stand.

Lazy: mid 16th century: perhaps related to Low German lasich ‘languid, idle’.

Accept: late Middle English: from Latin acceptare, frequentative of accipere ‘take something to oneself’, from ad- ‘to’ + capere ‘take’.

Foreign: Middle English foren, forein, from Old French forein, forain, based on Latin foras, foris ‘outside’, from fores ‘door’. The current spelling arose in the 16th century, by association with sovereign.

Idiom: late 16th century: from French idiome, or via late Latin from Greek idiōma ‘private property, peculiar phraseology’, from idiousthai ‘make one's own’, from idios ‘own, private’.

Language: Middle English: from Old French langage, based on Latin lingua ‘tongue’.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a lovely journey through etymology, though the understanding of the sentance was clearly lost. we borrow, steal, and generally absorb a great many words (even phrases) from other languages. it gives us the richness that is the glory of English. unless its from America, in which case its to be shunned. except all those Americanisms we blindly accept, OK?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
My ex missus asked me to "go Greek" a few years back.
Believe me I wish I'd never given in.
Not really my thing.

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
Honestly, I wish I'd never asked. I will make a point of never using the word 'vacation' again, also am planning to boycott McDonalds, KFC, Nandos, Subway, Asda etc on the off-chance I may upset someone!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Honestly, I wish I'd never asked. I will make a point of never using the word 'vacation' again, also am planning to boycott McDonalds, KFC, Nandos, Subway, Asda etc on the off-chance I may upset someone!

Christ I can't stand all this boycotting of certain brands; very "right on".

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
a lovely journey through etymology, though the understanding of the sentance was clearly lost. we borrow, steal, and generally absorb a great many words (even phrases) from other languages. it gives us the richness that is the glory of English. unless its from America, in which case its to be shunned. except all those Americanisms we blindly accept, OK?

Whereabouts in Greece is that?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Well as it sounds like the OP HAS to go to Greece, isn't bothered about the culture or the weather and intends to spend most of his time in a bar whilst his wife "shouts at the locals" I'd suggest you go somewhere like Laganas, Malia or Faliraki where there are plenty of "english" sports bars and (probably) like minded people. I've been to an awful lot of the islands and cannot recall ever having seen an Albion themed bar though I have seen BHA fans in Greece (hi to the one I saw in Lindos this year) - who knows you may even enjoy it !
It really depends what you want but I would urge you to go as Greece needs your euros

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
One of the best things about going to the smaller islands is that you can avoid any Brits, as they will all be tanked up on some appalling all-in dump with their full english breakfasts elsewhere in Rhodes, Crete or Halki.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
One of the best things about going to the smaller islands is that you can avoid any Brits, as they will all be tanked up on some appalling all-in dump with their full english breakfasts elsewhere in Rhodes, Crete or Halki.

Quite agree but I thought Halki being a very small, quiet island would be immune from all that. I was obviously wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here