Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greek Island Hopping

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Trouble with the Greek islands is that they are so damned addictive. A friend of mine started doing the islands years ago and just keeps on going back. At least 50 visited so far, and all so distinctively different.

As others have said, it all depends what you're looking for. I could recommend Corfu – not the touristy bits, but the beautifully verdant north-east coast. As others have said, neighbouring Paxos is absolutely delightful.

And if you like verdant, it's hard to beat Thassos, the most northerly island, still tranquil after all these years – and not too far from Thessaloniki.

Further south, Santorini is indeed beautiful (at least on the volcanic west side). But nearby Naxos and, particularly, Paros offer more of an unspoiled, natural experience of authentic island life.

After several Greek island holidays, I went to Crete for three months. And stayed for three and a half years. The island is so vast that it offers a huge range of contrasts, in scenery (snowcapped mountains visible from beaches in August), climate and culture. And not for nothing is it regarded as Greece's very own Sicily: fiercely independent of the mainland and complete with its own language, and a fully-functioning Mafia down in the south-west.

As others have said, just go… Trust your instincts, and you're bound to find something that will have you wanting to go back again, and again…

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Trouble with the Greek islands is that they are so damned addictive. A friend of mine started doing the islands years ago and just keeps on going back. At least 50 visited so far, and all so distinctively different.

As others have said, it all depends what you're looking for. I could recommend Corfu – not the touristy bits, but the beautifully verdant north-east coast. As others have said, neighbouring Paxos is absolutely delightful.

And if you like verdant, it's hard to beat Thassos, the most northerly island, still tranquil after all these years – and not too far from Thessaloniki.

Further south, Santorini is indeed beautiful (at least on the volcanic west side). But nearby Naxos and, particularly, Paros offer more of an unspoiled, natural experience of authentic island life.

After several Greek island holidays, I went to Crete for three months. And stayed for three and a half years. The island is so vast that it offers a huge range of contrasts, in scenery (snowcapped mountains visible from beaches in August), climate and culture. And not for nothing is it regarded as Greece's very own Sicily: fiercely independent of the mainland and complete with its own language, and a fully-functioning Mafia down in the south-west.

As others have said, just go… Trust your instincts, and you're bound to find something that will have you wanting to go back again, and again…

. . . and again and again and again and again and again ad infinitum. Simply delightful.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

This.

Western Crete is delightful, especially the south west. Sougia, Paleochora etc.

For island hopping, it really depends how long you've got. I'd start with Naxos and Paros, or Milos and Sifnos.

As others have said, it's addictive, we've been to 20 plus islands over the past 25 years.

Crete is still our favourite, as you can stay on one island, yet visit half a dozen different places each very different.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I've been to a lot of the islands and you cannot beat the Greek islands for variety and friendliness
Unfortunately two of my favourite islands - Samos and Lesbos - have been in the news for all the wrong reasons in the last year
Lefkas is lovely as are the Sporades islands of Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos
I've never been to Evia but it has been recommended as the Greeks go there a lot
Aegina, Hydra and Poros are glorious too - especially Hydra with it's white cubed houses tumbling down the mountain side
Santorini is gorgeous as well but, as others have said, it's not only on the tourist trail but also on the cruise ship trail too so the place does get swamped by septics on many days
Corfu is, in general, pretty touristy but Kassiopi and Paleokastritsa in the north east and north west of the island respectively are lovely
One island that doesn't get mentioned a lot is Tinos in the Cyclades - very quiet religious island which is swamped by pilgrims each August 15th. There are some great beaches there (and thousands of dovecotes too!)
As recommended by other posters just get yourself to Piraeus and go from there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here