Greek island hopping recommendations

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AlbionKebabs

Sep 23, 2005
Hove innit, you mug.
I open this up to the all knowing good of NSC. I'm looking for a few tips/recommendations on the the greek islands. We'll be going in july, so i know it'll be dead busy but we're after some of the quieter places. Will be away for 2-3 weeks, finishing somewhere near the turkish coast.

I've got my trusted lonely planet and looked at numerous websites, but the choice is fairly bewildering. We'll be camping to, so if you know of any decent spots would be much appreciated.

Cheers to those in the know....

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Sailed the Dodecanese a few years ago and Symi Island is beautiful.
Link - Symi Island

Symi has , probably, one of the most picturesque harbours in Greece.
klo1.jpg

and is very close to Turkey

Last edited:

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
We went in 2005 and did Paros, Sifnos and Milos.

Sifnos and Milos are very quiet and Sifnos particularly is very unspoilt and still very Greek.

Can't help you with the camping as we prefer a tent with a solid roof!!!

I went to Paros back in 1986 when I was Inter Railing around Europe, I think it had barely changed in 2005.

We bought a book called 'Greek Island Hopping' which came in quite useful, their website has details Greek Island Hopping - Online

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I did it in September 06, was pretty goodnfun but full of Aussies who went travelling after the world cup

Getting boats between islands is cheap and easy, and once you get on an island it's easyto get accomodation through people standing at the port or in the tourist centres.

Santorini and Naxos were my favourite two islands, there's loads to do if you like tourist things as well as secluded beaches. Recommend hiring quad bikes and taking them for a spin round the islands. Mucho fun and cheap and effective way of seeing an island

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Went to Zante In 2007, really nice place do some research on-line i'm sure you will like what you see.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think Crete has it all, it's the biggest and most southerly. If you keep to the South and East you can avoid all the spoilt drunken yob areas. May is a better time to go when the snow is still on the mountains, but July is ok as long as you like the heat.

Socky

Sockmonster
Jun 24, 2008
Brighton
Check out Patmos. Lovely and again not far from Turkey like Symi. Dodecanese generally great. And if you go to Samos you can take the trip to Turkish mainland where you have to visit the amazing ancient site of Epheseus.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
KEFALONIA is a must.
Skiathos is also nice :thumbsup:

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Depends what you want......Lesbos is rugged, great people, fantastic scenary in Molyvos on the northern tip, real authentic Greek. Zante, Kos are like Blackpool full of brits with union jack T shirts and tatoos looking for Bar Billiards, Fosters and chips and egg. Paros, Lefkada, Ithica all nice although full of Italians.

Best of luck, but I feel Lesbos (Moylvos) takes some beating for all round place.

BIG GAY AL

May 27, 2008
Went to Zante In 2007, really nice place do some research on-line i'm sure you will like what you see.

really, it has to be by far the worst greek island i have ever been to? there is so little culture in comparison to other islands, but tbh thats the view of a person currently doing a degree in Ancient history

Kos is good, i know you said you were camping but there is a pension there called Alexandros or something like that ITS AMAZING just mainly for the absolute friendliness of the women owner, and amzing feta omletes and its very cheap too.

It hurts me to say this but Mykonos is nice, incredibly commercial but worth a visit for its pretty good Hora. Also if you have the chance go to Delos, its an amzing site with a huge amount of history and completly untouched. i have done all the major classical sites and this one is certainly right up there!

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
really, it has to be by far the worst greek island i have ever been to? there is so little culture in comparison to other islands, but tbh thats the view of a person currently doing a degree in Ancient history

Kos is good, i know you said you were camping but there is a pension there called Alexandros or something like that ITS AMAZING just mainly for the absolute friendliness of the women owner, and amzing feta omletes and its very cheap too.

It hurts me to say this but Mykonos is nice, incredibly commercial but worth a visit for its pretty good Hora. Also if you have the chance go to Delos, its an amzing site with a huge amount of history and completly untouched. i have done all the major classical sites and this one is certainly right up there!

I Generally go on holiday to relax around a pool/ on a beach not for history/culture, so Zante was fine for my liking I guess it depends what you like.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Crete's a great place to go, seeing as I went to a Leper colony and a hole in the ground on top of a mountain :thumbsup: it is actually a lot better than it sounds and is worth a visit.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
KEFALONIA is a must.
Skiathos is also nice :thumbsup:

Agree with both these choices. However, Skiathos - gorgeous beaches, tiny wee island - is absolutely heaving with Greek families on holiday in July and August. Would recommend Kalymnos, which is next door to Kos, but is much quieter.

Last edited:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
If you want to end up near Turkey aim to end up at Samos or Lesbos - Samos has possibly the better ferry connections and some good beaches (although beaches on Lesbos are good but it's a much bigger island so takes time to get around).
THE most picturesque harbour in Greece just has to be Hydra which is fairly near Athens but it's quite dear as is Santorini.
For quiet and peace Skopelos and Alonissos take some beating and both are easily attainable from Skiathos.
Patmos is fascinating - lots of sightseeing
In fact there ain't too many Greek islamnds that are crap although places like Malia in Crete, Laganas on Zante and Faliraki on Rhodes are best avoided if you're not into partying all the night.
I have been to over 20 of the islands and the best IMHO is Samos but most Greek islands are lovely - off to Lefkas this year.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Why not try Mykonos? There's loads of very friendly lads there, apparently. :thumbsup:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
If you want to end up near Turkey aim to end up at Samos or Lesbos

Been to both but preferred the latter (ohhhh errrrrrr). Really loved the place & hired a decent Piaggio for a couple of days to explore the island. Unfortunately, I nearly totalled the thing when a large bird of pray virtually landed on my lap when I was bombing over the mountains! Great scenery & crystal-clear water for super swimming biz. Bugger, I wanna go NOW!! :down:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It depends what you are looking for. If you want a more "authentic" (awful word) experience, try any of the islands NOT featured in a mainline travel agents brochure as they are invariably heaving with pissed-up Brits. Do something off the beaten track - the Rough Guides are generally a good starting point but even they are not 100% reliable. Try also A Greece Travel Guide: Matt Barrett's Guide to the Greek Islands, Athens and Mainland Greece

GREEK TRAVEL PAGES: The Greek travel - tourism guide on the Internet
The above link is a reasonably reliable guide to ferry schedules.

(not telling my favourites as most people have never heard of them and I want to keep it that way)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
More islands than there are days of the year, have a good time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports