Greece [Corfu]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Going in a few weeks and in a quandary about money. If anybody's been recently, help with the following questions would be greatly appreciated:

1] Do we take cash?

2] Do we take Traveller's Cheques?

3] Do we go prepaid debit card and hope the ATMs are working?

4] Am I over-reacting?

Think I know what the answer for No.4 is going to be . . . .

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Going in a few weeks and in a quandary about money. If anybody's been recently, help with the following questions would be greatly appreciated:

1] Do we take cash?

4] Am I over-reacting?

Are you worried because of the economic issues in Greece right now? Take any of 1-3 - they'll all work just fine. I work for one of the major UK tour operators, and we have absolutely no concerns at the moment for the tourist industry in Greece this summer.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
<got back from Ag.Stefanos last week>
1: yes
2: You know the Wheel has been invented yeah ? :lolol:
3: ATM and merchants Visa machines not working most of the time, so restaurants pretty much only taking cashola - might be different in the bigger towns :shrug:
4: Of course..

Good value i thought - family of 4 with wine and beer and ice creams - about eu45.
Day car hire (new panda) only eu25 a day fully inc..
Answer to 3, might also be influenced by Greeks not wanting to have money tied up in banks..
:)

Oh, and and they don't care/give a stuff about whats happening on the mainland either..

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Are you worried because of the economic issues in Greece right now? Take any of 1-3 - they'll all work just fine. I work for one of the major UK tour operators, and we have absolutely no concerns at the moment for the tourist industry in Greece this summer.

Thanks for that - good to know

<got back from Ag.Stefanos last week>
1: yes
2: You know the Wheel has been invented yeah ? :lolol:
3: ATM and merchants Visa machines not working most of the time, so restaurants pretty much only taking cashola - might be different in the bigger towns :shrug:
4: Of course..

Good value i thought - family of 4 with wine and beer and ice creams - about eu45.
Day car hire (new panda) only eu25 a day fully inc..
Answer to 3, might also be influenced by Greeks not wanting to have money tied up in banks..
:)

Oh, and and they don't care/give a stuff about whats happening on the mainland either..

I'm not joking about the Traveller's Cheques. I gave exactly the same response when it was mentioned to us as an option in the bank a few days ago - I didn't even realise they were still available. Interesting stuff about the ATMs as well - cheers :thumbsup:

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Just got back as well. The merchant's visa machines never work because the Greeks don't want them too. Paying cash means they don't have to declare the income for tax. It is this Greek attitude to tax avoidance that is the reason they will never be able to pay off their debts and should never have been allowed to Mountie Euro.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Looks like it's going to be Option 1 then; trouble is, my inherent caution/pessimism makes me feel I'll lose it all as soon as I get off the plane :facepalm:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Just got back as well. The merchant's visa machines never work because the Greeks don't want them too. Paying cash means they don't have to declare the income for tax. It is this Greek attitude to tax avoidance that is the reason they will never be able to pay off their debts and should never have been allowed to Mountie Euro.

Hi Mate, where'd you go ? We'd not been before, but liked it a lot.

Was with my boys, and went to Hydropolis, but will go to Aqualand next time..looks awesome.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Roda. Never been before but the kids have already told me I'm going to Aqualand whether I like it or not.

We went to Sidari last year and in 2008 which is just along the north coast from Roda. Last year wasn't so good as there was a noticable drop in the number of people around. The upside was that when we went to Aqualand you didn't have to queue very long for the slides. If you like water slides then it is fantastic. Wouldn't believe you could spend a whole day at a waterpark but it flies by.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Looks like it's going to be Option 1 then; trouble is, my inherent caution/pessimism makes me feel I'll lose it all as soon as I get off the plane :facepalm:

We buried just over £100 in Euros on the beach in Kos last year (along with bank cards, mobile phone), went for a swim, couldn't remember the exact burial spot, spent a couple of hours digging up the beach without any luck.
:thumbsup:

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
We buried just over £100 in Euros on the beach in Kos last year (along with bank cards, mobile phone), went for a swim, couldn't remember the exact burial spot, spent a couple of hours digging up the beach without any luck.
:thumbsup:

Thanks CM. Not quite sure why you'd want everybody to know that. :thumbsup:

The first time I went to Greece, one of our party did exactly that. Fortunately, the Greek people are in the premier league when it comes to generosity. Asking for a good, cheap meal in a small restaurant got us exactly that ... a good, cheap meal.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Went to Corfu last year...absolutely loved the place. Stayed in one of the Iberostar hotels all inclusive and it was just superb. Corfu town was worth a trip, bloody clean and tidy i thought but quite a few souvenir shops. Loved the countryside too and the mountains, will certainly go back again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The cashpoints in smaller places tend to run dry pretty quick and not be refilled for yonks. Worth taking travellers cheques or loads of sterling cash money because in my Greek island experience last Summer you can't get money out on your credit/debit card even backed by your passport.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand

1] Do we take cash?

4] Am I over-reacting?

1) Yes

2) I highly encourage you not too

3) ATM's would be risky business, take cash and keep it in a safe spot.

4) Perhaps, but Greece is in the shit

Visit Kavos too.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Take cash but don't keep it all in the same spot.

I have used ATMs on the smallest most insignificant lumps of rock in the Aegean to get extra cash out on a credit card (very expensive option because of fees and interest charges so don't do that unless you have to). However I wouldn't rely on a debit or credit card alone as the Greeks prefer cash and the ATMs might not be full when you want them. Most islands however have an ATM somewhere.

cdrahcir

Jun 24, 2011
I went to Roda last year it was beautiful but whatever you do dont stay in the Angelina apts - they are a hell hole - worst 10 days of my life

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports