Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greatest game you have ever seen?

seagull_in_carolina

Mar 12, 2011
Albion 2 Ipswich 1 1991,Albion needing a win to get into the playoffs.1.1 going into the last minute when dean Wilkins curls in a free kick to send the goldstone crazy.

I'll never forget that one...........I was watching up in the old East Terrace with some mates from school. What a free kick that was by Wendy, I believe we denied Barnsley a play-off spot that year

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'll give you the 3-3 Liverpool milan game, plus Newcastle 5 man U 0 was pretty special, as were any of Man United's four QF (v Inter) and SF (v Juve) games in the European Cup when they won it in treble season, also the FA Cup semi against Arsenal same season.

Live, most enjoyable was possibly the win at Leicester in the league cup circa 95, or the 3-3 against Birmingham same kind of time, or the 4-3 defeat to Millwall at the Goldstone.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Oh what was I thinking, the game I have enjoyed the most (on TV) was England 4 Holland 1 in Euro '96. before, during and after, was a great day.

That may have been overtaken by England 2-2 Argentina in WC '98, if David Batty could take penalties :(

*the most amazing game I've seen was Charlton 4-4 Sunderland in the play-off final 1998, Charlton winning 7-6 on penalties. Charlton took the lead, then came from behind 3 times with Clive Mendonca scoring a hat-trick.

stuartpeterson

Mar 25, 2011
This is the best for me. Arsenal 5-3 Middlesbrough. 2004-5. All Arsenal for the first half. Only 1-0 up after 40 mins. Then Middlesbrough get three goals out of nothing. Then it's the Arses' turn to mount a breathtaking comeback. I enjoyed it very much.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
The 1999 Champions League Final between Man U and Bayern Munich was pretty special too, although admittedly 89 minutes of that match were pretty boring.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Bizarrely, right up there for me was Wycombe 1-3 Albion in August 1994 in the League Cup.

...and incidentally that Albion-Orient 2010 Boxing day game never happened. It was 2009.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Nothing for me comes close to the France v Germany World Cup semi in 1982. Just awesome and the forearm smash that the German keeper landed on the French striker knocking 3 of his teeth out would grace any WWE event

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hereford 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 1 1997. This wasn't football, it was life or death.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Bizarre game I went to in 94 on the plastic pitch at Loftus Rd. QPR 5 Newcastle 5. Newcastle 4-0 up at half-time and 5-3 up with 5 mins to go.

On TV, the 5-3 Charlton Sunderland playoff final takes some beating.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The best game live I think was the FA Cup Final 2-2. Nothing could express the feeling when gary stevens scored. We just went absolutely mad!

For a fantastic game of football, Sheffield United vs Brighton...5-4 I think it was. Absolutely brilliant day out.

Charlton this year takes some beating and when we drew 3-3 at Coventry - Gordon Smith second half hat trick

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
In Person:
Charlton Athletic 4-4 Sunderland (Charlton won 7-6 on pens)
1998 Championship Play Off Final - Wembley

On The Tellybox:
Newcastle United 5-0 Manchester United
1996 - Who can forget the Philippe Albert chip?

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Brighton 4 Gillingham 3
Gerry Fell with the winner in the last minute.
Goals from Towner, Mellor, and O'Sullivan. If I remember incorrectly.

Not quite.
Spurs were 3-0 up at half time with City also down to 10 men after Barton was sent off just before the interval (quelle surprise).
10-men City then went on to score 4 times in the 2nd half to win the game 4-3 (in the 90). It remains to this day the GREATEST comeback I have ever seen, and pisses on Liverpool scavenging a penalty shootout.

That's the one. CRACKING match. Watched it with my dad, a City fan, and he was so pissed off at half-time he took the dog out (presumably to give it a good kicking) and missed all the DRAMA.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
In Person:
Charlton Athletic 4-4 Sunderland (Charlton won 7-6 on pens)
1998 Championship Play Off Final - Wembley

I'd go with that (although I wasn't there). Amazing game. I think Richard Rufus scored his first goal for the club (in 300 appearances) to take it to extra time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here