Votes: 35 17.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Is that all music is about then?

Not at all. Just a simple observation. An art form such as music should provoke and expand the full spectrum of emotions. Paul Weller can be accused of being sombre at times, yet I would suggest in a more constructive and eloquent form.

Gotta say, do enjoy some of JM on guitar, especially after he played on Billy Bragg's album.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I normally don't get involved in this sort of thing and never lower myself to pathetic insults but,

Two of the greatest bands of their era Vs some whiny little shit from manchester who appeals to students

Really ?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Not at all. Just a simple observation. An art form such as music should provoke and expand the full spectrum of emotions. Paul Weller can be accused of being sombre at times, yet I would suggest in a more constructive and eloquent form.

Gotta say, do enjoy some of JM on guitar, especially after he played on Billy Bragg's album.

totally off topic but since you mentioned Bragg and Weller in the same post have you or anyone heard the rumours about Red Wedge coming back? or is this total internet bunkum,half a dozen people have said to me they have heard rumours about this

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
totally off topic but since you mentioned Bragg and Weller in the same post have you or anyone heard the rumours about Red Wedge coming back? or is this total internet bunkum,half a dozen people have said to me they have heard rumours about this

Whereas Billy Bragg is still politically vocal, Weller has since distanced himself somewhat from this area so I would doubt it although never say never!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Tricky. The Clash and The Jam both released their best stuff in the 70s, and whilst I kinda like The Smiths, I find them to be somewhat over-rated. Hmmm...

Accepting that London Calling was released in December 1979 (Despite being voted the top 80s album in the USA), Sandinista had some good stuff on it, although probably not a triple album, favourites would be side 1 and side 4? (Washington bullets, The Call up, etc) also Combat Rock is a strong album. Bankrobber was also an 80s single.

Needs to be balanced against debut album and London Calling, and the last album which other than one track should be binned.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Accepting that London Calling was released in December 1979 (Despite being voted the top 80s album in the USA), Sandinista had some good stuff on it, although probably not a triple album, favourites would be side 1 and side 4? (Washington bullets, The Call up, etc) also Combat Rock is a strong album. Bankrobber was also an 80s single.

Needs to be balanced against debut album and London Calling, and the last album which other than one track should be binned.

Not released in US until Jan 80... Sandanista stripped of the worst 20 of 60? Via my tape recorder Resulted in a fantastic 'double' album

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seeing as how they're the only 80's band out of the three options, had to vote for The Smiths really :shrug:
The only 80s band of the three, and still not the best.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Smiths certainly seem to polarise opinion, but for me they were just stupendous. I've got everything they put out, and have read all the biographies written about them.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
If was a straight best / favourite band would be close to call Clash v Jam. But as others have said before, majority of their best stuff was in the 70's, so The Smiths it is - great band.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports