Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great work Gideon

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I'm sorry but losing this amount of skilled and well paid jobs off the back of AZ's last round of cuts and the closure of Pfizer in Kent is a disaster given the government stated how critical these types of jobs are to the UK in general and also the rebalancing of the UK economy. Yet another Osborne idea in complete tatters.

You don't know that the jobs being lost are either skilled or well paid, AZ are restructuring the R&D arrangements around he world and this is part of it. Investing £500m in the Cambridge site and relocating over a 1000 of the Cheshire staff would at least indicate they would be moving the most skilled and binning off the admin and cleaners. Sad for them but not a national disaster.

Pfizer was announced some time ago and again was part of a global restructure...........that's what global businesses do, it's not an direct indication that the host Govt are forcing them out.

On the other hand Ford closed their UK manufacturing plants in Southampton and Dagenham and moved the work to Turkey, a factory that has been subsidised to the tune of 200m by the EU..........now what kind of c*nt made hat decision, and can we vote them out?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm sorry but losing this amount of skilled and well paid jobs off the back of AZ's last round of cuts and the closure of Pfizer in Kent is a disaster given the government stated how critical these types of jobs are to the UK in general and also the rebalancing of the UK economy. Yet another Osborne idea in complete tatters.

so because some companies cut jobs or relocate away from a site in the arse end of the country, the "idea" of having companies like Astra and Pfizer doing R&D is bad? are you saying we should just scrap such jobs and industry?

You will have to explain what the issue is because this article does not really give any detail. It simply states they cannot get a full supply of raw materials. What's stopping them?

well, the first paragraphh tells you: importation duty on sugar cane. in other words they cant economically produce sugar there because they refine an imported product. iirc, they use sugar cane from west indies there, EU protects the european (and UK) sugar beet industry. EDIT. the perversion of EU trade has dictated that only sugar from certain countries can be imported, but those countries cant produce enough for Tate's factory, and they arent allowed to source from those countries that produce literally boat loads (they turn it in to fuel in Brazil).

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You will have to explain what the issue is because this article does not really give any detail. It simply states they cannot get a full supply of raw materials. What's stopping them? Companies usually blame others when they're not doing well; I don't think I have ever heard a CEO ever blame the company or himself for short comings.

The EU have restricted the amount of sugar cane that can be imported so it is basically the death knell for the Tate and Lyle operation in Silvertown in deprived east London. This is good news for EU sugar beet producers in Germany and France so the pro EU supporters can be satisfied that competition from sugar cane producers has been eliminated and jobs/infrastructure will be lost enabling them to increase sugar prices at will. So it's not all bad news.

Tate Lyle Sugars takes battle against EU to court

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Sorry but please can you explain exactly why these politicians are unelected?

Fair point.........MEPs are democratically elected and they sit in a Parliament that passes legislation produced by the EU lawmaking machine, the European Commission. The politicians that take the roles in the Commission like Mandelson and Kinnock are unelected and unaccountable to the people. These politicians are elected by other politicians, as is the EU President and Government.......e.g. Van Rompoy and Caroline Ashton. Politicians nominating Politicians for powerful and influential roles is more like how countries like China elects its leaders............this architecture is by design not a coincidence. Marvellous.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Usual leftie shit from the OP, when will he ever learn ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Leftie shit? Jobs of the type which Osborne said we need to fight to keep in the UK are being lost. It's shit I agree.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pfizer was announced some time ago and again was part of a global restructure...........that's what global businesses do, it's not an direct indication that the host Govt are forcing them out.

But 2 years ago the government said they wanted to encourage these types of companies and jobs in the UK. Since this was announced Pfizer and AZ have announced the axing of thousands of jobs. Whatever the government's plan or strategy was to achieve this it has clearly failed.

If you say you want to do something and the opposite happens that's a failure in my book.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
so because some companies cut jobs or relocate away from a site in the arse end of the country, the "idea" of having companies like Astra and Pfizer doing R&D is bad? are you saying we should just scrap such jobs and industry?

Er, no. I'm not sure I understand your argument.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

By the way. You recently asked me what difference does it make if a company operating in the UK is foreign owned. Given that the UK will loose out on a lot/majority of that company's high end legal, financial and accountancy services quite a lot I'd say especially given services make up to 70% of our economy.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
But 2 years ago the government said they wanted to encourage these types of companies and jobs in the UK. Since this was announced Pfizer and AZ have announced the axing of thousands of jobs. Whatever the government's plan or strategy was to achieve this it has clearly failed.

If you say you want to do something and the opposite happens that's a failure in my book.

Not that I want to give credit to Tories, however..........

Private sector helps spur UK jobs growth - FT.com

By the way I agree with you failures are about saying one thing and the opposite happening.............not long ago we had a Chancellor who told the country he had abolished boom and bust..............like Moses coming down from the mountain..............whatever happened to him?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Investing £500m in the Cambridge site

On its own this is a meaningless figure. They said they are "creating a £500 facility." This is somewhat different to saying they're investing £500m. It might not be fresh money. What they have said is a lot of jobs are going and no matter which way you cut this it isn't positive for the UK.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
On its own this is a meaningless figure. They said they are "creating a £500 facility." This is somewhat different to saying they're investing £500m. It might not be fresh money. What they have said is a lot of jobs are going and no matter which way you cut this it isn't positive for the UK.

The Guardian headline you attached in your first post indicated over 2000 jobs were at risk but that was not accurate either. The BBC state it is a £330m investment in Cambridge (see below). Fact is this is not a mass redundancy on the scale of what recently happened at Fords..........that was definitely not positive for the UK as all the jobs went to Turkey.

A new facility in Cambridge means AZ are maintaining and investing in a significant R&D facility there........so it is not a disaster for the UK but a shame for Cheshire.

BBC News - AstraZeneca axes 700 jobs in Cambridge move

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Leftie and Guardian reader, owned

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Guardian headline you attached in your first post indicated over 2000 jobs were at risk but that was not accurate either. The BBC state it is a £330m investment in Cambridge (see below). Fact is this is not a mass redundancy on the scale of what recently happened at Fords..........that was definitely not positive for the UK as all the jobs went to Turkey.

A new facility in Cambridge means AZ are maintaining and investing in a significant R&D facility there........so it is not a disaster for the UK but a shame for Cheshire.

BBC News - AstraZeneca axes 700 jobs in Cambridge move

Here is my original post

AstraZeneca to cut 2,150 jobs in George Osborne's constituency | Business | The Guardian

And just 5 months after they were granted 5 million of tax payer's money to develop their R&D facility.

And 2 years ago Gideon said these are the type of jobs the UK needs to keep. That was a week or so before Pfizer announced the closure of its huge site in Kent.

Fantastic work Gideon.

I never said it was a mass redundancy and what has Ford got to do with this? You seem to be embelishing my original post somewhat.

And to say AZ are " maintaining and investing in a significant R&D facility" in Cambridge is disingenious as it comes at the cost of a bigger site closing down. It's giving with one hand and taking far more with the other. The net result is a loss of 700 jobs and a smaller R&D facility. If Tesco metro opened a site with 20 jobs on the site of a former supermarket which employed 200 would you say whoop de do we have created 20 jobs? No you would not.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
all of these arguments does detract from the fact that osbourne:tosser: is a sniveling little turd and has not got a clue what he is doing and the fact that he and that other t**T (ginger knob danny alexander:tosser::tosser:) are always smiling
WTF is there to smile about other than the fact they have found themselves a gravy train to hitch a ride on at the expense of those less well off

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Politicians nominating Politicians for powerful and influential roles is more like how countries like China elects its leaders

And in the UK the politicians vote for a single politician in to a very powerful and influential role (leader of party and on to prime minister), and that single politician chooses who goes in to the other powerful and influential roles. Does that make us worse than China?

Separately, the European Commission members are each nominated by the government of their own country so they have as much validity as any other action carried out by the national government of the day.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Gideon must be the most incompetent Chancellor for decades. He has no idea of finance- all he knows about is looking after his public school mates in the effluent society. I'm sure all of us plebs will be made to pay for his ineptitude in the budget tomorrow. After all, "we're all in it together"!
Meanwhile, my sympathies go out to all those who have lost their jobs today and the many more who, after tomorrow, will face losing theirs!

Being Geriatric, you may also have Alzheimers or perhaps you are just simple. Your claims are ludicrously black and white and ill thought out, if thought out at all.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Weren't the tories getting at the EU in threats of us leaving?
Did that manage to get us any improved edge or was it a convenient screen that's faded into the ether?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Gideon must be the most incompetent Chancellor for decades. He has no idea of finance- all he knows about is looking after his public school mates in the effluent society. I'm sure all of us plebs will be made to pay for his ineptitude in the budget tomorrow. After all, "we're all in it together"!
Meanwhile, my sympathies go out to all those who have lost their jobs today and the many more who, after tomorrow, will face losing theirs!

went back to this one as its seems to prove one of my theories that as you get older you become clearer in your thoughts
well done you have also proved something else that I am not the only cynical old ******** on this board

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here