Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great week for music

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Popped into Rounder and purchased new releases by Yuksek, Memory Tapes, Horse Meat Disco and Brian Eno.

Off disco dancing now.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Loved the last Memory Tapes album - What's the new one like?

I really like it. Quite poppy, very summery, and very accessible. The last one tended towards dance and electronica, this one is well crafted and structured pop songs with plenty of hooky choruses. But, it still sounds like Memory Tapes. If you liked the first album, which I did, I will be very surprised if you do not love this one.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
no-jacket-required.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Loved the last Memory Tapes album - What's the new one like?

It's good but I'm going to need a few listens before I really get into it, I think. Fortunately I'm away on holiday next week so that's that sorted! The new albums that I am loving at the moment are Torches by Foster the People, Gardens & Villa by Gardens & Villa, Strange Moosic by Herman Dune but the album of the moment for me is Death of Fun by Cashier No 9.

I rate the Cashier No 9 very highly.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Popped into Rounder and purchased new releases by Yuksek, Memory Tapes, Horse Meat Disco and Brian Eno.

Off disco dancing now.....

Not heard of Yuksek. Who/what are they? Should I invest in a copy? And what do you think of Brian Eno's latest? I read a review of it a few months back in Wire magazine and it was ripped apart by the reviewer.

By the way - if you are after ambient(ish) electronica then THE album to get so far this year is Thora Vukk by Robag Wruhme. It's just perfect. You can stream the entire album here: PAMPACD002 - Robag Wruhme - Thora Vukk by Pampa Records on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Hissing Fauna

Jan 12, 2010
Brighton
Yep, not as good as the last album at the moment. It may be a bit too poppy and less experimental for my tastes. I love the first album.

It hasn't got a "Bicycle" on it which was kinda the gateway to the first lbum, but every listen for me is more and rewarding. I really love it now, having been non-plussed before.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
On another note, I'm seeing Art Department this Friday. SO excited. Then it's a veritable feast on music at secret garden party the week after. Blondie and Leftfield the highlights.

BOOM

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
On another note, I'm seeing Art Department this Friday. SO excited. Then it's a veritable feast on music at secret garden party the week after. Blondie and Leftfield the highlights.

BOOM

Ooh yes. 'Without You' was the tune of the summer last year. I see they have an album out too. Have you heard it? If so, any good?

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
Got the When Saints Go Machine album on friday.

it's very interesting - i reckon the usual suspects* on here will like it, it's like Anthony and the Js produced by, well, Memory Tapes. Bit balearicy.

I say the usual suspects, i mean chappers and buzza.

On a similar !K7 note, the Motor City Drum Ensemble DJ-Kicks is the best house/techno comp i've heard in ages, and I was saying that about the Soul Clap one a few months back but this is next level.

Equally, Trentmoller's Late Night Tales is great, great, great.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove

it's very interesting - i reckon the usual suspects* on here will like it, it's like Anthony and the Js produced by, well, Memory Tapes. Bit balearicy.

On a similar !K7 note, the Motor City Drum Ensemble DJ-Kicks is the best house/techno comp i've heard in ages, and I was saying that about the Soul Clap one a few months back but this is next level.

I've wanted to check that out since seeing this very positive for it:

http://allmusic.com/album/konkylie-r2175683/review

Talking of Danish bands, if you like punk/post-punk stuff, the band Iceage are pretty great. Just a bunch of teenagers but passion in abundance.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I have the Saints Go Machine EP and I loved that so will look with interest at the new album. His voice is very interesting indeed. Glad to see the Danes giving the Swedes a run for their money in the cool music stakes.

Trentemoller - YES! It's not what I was expecting at all and has to be the most eclectic album from the Late Night Tales yet. Shangri-Las, Nick Cave, Low.... it's quite a mix.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's the deal witrh the Horse Meat Disco album? A compilation is it?

Correct. It's a London based club, and this is a comp from the residents. Think late 70s disco, Paradise Garage etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not heard of Yuksek. Who/what are they? Should I invest in a copy? And what do you think of Brian Eno's latest? I read a review of it a few months back in Wire magazine and it was ripped apart by the reviewer.

Yuksek is a French DJ/producer who deals in electro pop. Defo worth checking out, especially On A Train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here