Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Great read, where do you stand on the subject?

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
I still have faith we will stay up with our run of fixtures!

However the bookies have us as 4th favourite to go down!! Think I might have to put a plastic sheet over the bed tonight!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's an oversimplistic article. Izquierdo has been injured most of the season. Andone arrived injured and Murray was in decent form when he finally recovered. Then, as Murray declined, he managed to get himself banned for three games. Propper has been more or less ever present when fit, Montoya and Bruno have traded the shirt and are really horses for different courses given their respective strengths and weaknesses. Burn and Balogun were bought as back up. On their day Duffy and Dunk are one of the best pairings in the league and this was certainly the case pre-Christmas. Ditto the two keepers were always back up. A new signing at the start of last season (Gross) is keeping out a new signing from the start of this season (Bissouma) though I personally hope that's about to change.

There are areas where we have bought poorly. Locadia is just not good enough. Ali J has shown very little (though, again, there was an injury issue). These two have been a massive dissapointment so far. The constant selection of Bong in place of Bernardo is absolutely baffling. It makes zero sense to me.

The light at the end of the tunnel is that injuries and suspensions seem to be ending at about the same time (and the new one we picked up is Gross, out of form and hopefully replaced by Bissouma). We could go out on Saturday with genuine pace and excitement. Bissouma in the middle. Bernardo at LB. A front three of Andone, Knockaert and izquierdo (though, of course, March will predictably play instead). If we fail to use these sorts of players when the old guard are failing then the writer will have a point. But, right now, not only does the article ignore injuries, it ignores the fact that many of these signings were only ever signed as back up.

A far better and more informed overview of the situation IMHO.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Some of Hughton's decisions are baffling and although we seem to be more offensive away from home now its too little too late and our appalling away form is now putting too much pressure to win on our home form. It's not just Hughton's fault, as with all situations such as this the causes are multi-factoral, but there is every indication that his ceiling is upper Championship and that has not helped. Sure he's a nice guy and he's done well to get us here but he's not a streetfighter and I don't think he's good enough to keep us here. We'lll see, the next few games will determine both our, and I suspect his, fate.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
One thing that hasn't been mentioned regarding our recruitment is that we are sleepwalking into a tricky position regarding homegrown players. From memory we had to name Ben Barclay in our 25 man squad to comply with the rules. There will come a pinch point when we either have to start promoting from within or pay the inflated going rate for HGP.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
What these articles miss is wages. If you look at the premier league by wage bill it very closely resembles the actual league table. United and Palace underperforming, Liverpool and Cardiff slightly over performing and everyone else (including us) pretty much where you’d expect them to be. The transfer fees are almost irrelevant. We missed out on the likes of Solanke, Delaney etc on wages - Batshuayi’s a good player but the goons up the road will no doubt be paying him similar to Benteke. If the rumours are right and a number of our top championship players (inc Dunk, Stephens, Knocky) have “parity with top wage earner” in their contract then IF we stay up we’ll either have to renegotiate those, let some of them go or accept we are at a “ceiling” for now. And that’s Uncle Tony’s call (and who am I to tell him what to do - although I am pleased we’re not paying 100k+ a week to Benteke).

I can’t answer why Bissouma and Bernardo aren’t playing more though. Baffling.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
One thing that hasn't been mentioned regarding our recruitment is that we are sleepwalking into a tricky position regarding homegrown players. From memory we had to name Ben Barclay in our 25 man squad to comply with the rules. There will come a pinch point when we either have to start promoting from within or pay the inflated going rate for HGP.

Your statement is not correct.

Premier League teams are able to name up to 17 non-HGPs in their squad. If they wish to name a full squad (25 players) then at least 8 of those players will need to be HGP.

In September, the Albion squad was indeed 25 players strong, including Ben Barclay. However, we didn't NEED to name him; we could have gone with a 24-man squad (17 non-HGPs plus 7 HGPs). As it transpired, he was nowhere near Hughton's Premier League squad anyway (he was behind Ben White - who qualifies as an U-21 - and even White wasn't named in the 18 for 3 matches in December when either Duffy or Dunk were absent, leaving us with no recognised centre-back on the bench).

And, in February, we of course only named 23 players in the squad (the departures of Suttner and Peter Smith leaving us with only 15 non-HGPs, with Burn replacing Barclay).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What these articles miss is wages. If you look at the premier league by wage bill it very closely resembles the actual league table. United and Palace underperforming, Liverpool and Cardiff slightly over performing and everyone else (including us) pretty much where you’d expect them to be. The transfer fees are almost irrelevant. We missed out on the likes of Solanke, Delaney etc on wages - Batshuayi’s a good player but the goons up the road will no doubt be paying him similar to Benteke. If the rumours are right and a number of our top championship players (inc Dunk, Stephens, Knocky) have “parity with top wage earner” in their contract then IF we stay up we’ll either have to renegotiate those, let some of them go or accept we are at a “ceiling” for now. And that’s Uncle Tony’s call (and who am I to tell him what to do - although I am pleased we’re not paying 100k+ a week to Benteke).

Absolutely true about wages. Of course there are basket cases such as Villa in their relegation season that don’t fit the correlation, and some exceptions of success such as LCFC’s title season and Burnley last season. But Brighton, Hudd, Burnley, Newcastle and Cardiff are near the bottom for a reason - relatively lower wages, gets you less exceptional players.

Palace pay huge wages in general, as always highligted in [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]’s PL financial tables.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Your statement is not correct.

Premier League teams are able to name up to 17 non-HGPs in their squad. If they wish to name a full squad (25 players) then at least 8 of those players will need to be HGP.

In September, the Albion squad was indeed 25 players strong, including Ben Barclay. However, we didn't NEED to name him; we could have gone with a 24-man squad (17 non-HGPs plus 7 HGPs). As it transpired, he was nowhere near Hughton's Premier League squad anyway (he was behind Ben White - who qualifies as an U-21 - and even White wasn't named in the 18 for 3 matches in December when either Duffy or Dunk were absent, leaving us with no recognised centre-back on the bench).

And, in February, we of course only named 23 players in the squad (the departures of Suttner and Peter Smith leaving us with only 15 non-HGPs, with Burn replacing Barclay).

I bow to your superior knowledge.

The main part of my post is still relevant that barring 2 backup goalkeepers we are extremely short on HGP.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I bow to your superior knowledge.

The main part of my post is still relevant that barring 2 backup goalkeepers we are extremely short on HGP.

I don't have the numbers to hand but I would be surprised if we were particularly different to other clubs in terms of HGP?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It's not like improving the squad means we have spent poorly though? Would we really wanted to have used Skalak, Baldock, Hemed, Sidwell, Rosenior, Murphy & Hunemeier if called upon this season?

Bruno and Murray are not getting any younger and I think Montoya and Andone have been good signings in their positions. Jahanbakhsh has suffered through injury and international duty so hasn't really had the opportunity yet to bed into the team. With Goldson/Hunemeier leaving we needed new centre-backs. I don't think anyone would suggest we should have spent all of our budget on centre-backs to improve on Duffy and Dunk? Because they'd go for a lot of money, so to get better wouldn't exactly be cheap!

I'm yet to be convinced that either Locadia or Ali J represent an upgrade on Murphy.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I agree with every single word of this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm yet to be convinced that either Locadia or Ali J represent an upgrade on Murphy.

Not really an easy comparison as Murphy never played in the Premier League and latterly didn’t even make the first team in the Championship. Knocky looked a class above at that level but has struggled in the Premier to come close to that form.

Personally think that both are a big upgrade on Murphy, Locadia has weighed in with some valuable goals and Ali J hasn’t really put a run together yet.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
OK I'll play. Improving the squad means improving the back up players not the team. A team consists of 11 players on the pitch at any one time hence similar results to last season. This season we had cover when needed. Last season we didn't need so much cover. I think that should explain it.

I completely understand what you are trying to get at, however, a superior squad should be better off than the inferior squad from the season before.

Results prove otherwise.

Our cover does not seem to be working at the moment.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I completely understand what you are trying to get at, however, a superior squad should be better off than the inferior squad from the season before.

Results prove otherwise.

Our cover does not seem to be working at the moment.

OK I give in. You can have the last word.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It’s an issue that faces most of the new teams to the Premier how much are you prepared to invest. No guarantee of becoming established and you could be tying a fanancial noose around your neck..

We appear to be following the path of slowly slowly establishing ourselves over the Wolves way of spending.

Problem is exactly where we have needed to find that special buy, namely in the attacking front has failed.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What the article doesn't conclude is whether the situation is mainly down to Hughton conservative approach or because they were bad buys ( disproportionate amount of injury or simply they are bad buys). Yes both parts are there but what would happen if all the buys have been good and injury free would Chris have played them?. I am going to give CH the benefit of the doubt, I think the team has progressed under him he has also been fortunate that there was some very astute purchases when we were in the championship (Stephens, Duffy, Bong, Murray and AK).

To me the only bad buys have been Locadia and Ali J and that is influenced by their fees.

IMO what we do need to do is get some hardened Pl or Championship players who have the right levels of fitness and quality and maybe pay more for a proven and usable resource.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We already had him. His name was Ashley Barnes.

Absolute shambles of a decision, letting him go - Poyet's biggest blind spot was not recognising the value in his strikers. To think we got promoted to the Championship with a proven Premier League strike force, nearly 50 goals between them that season - and Poyet got rid of them both for a combined £750k. :tosser:

I think Andone has potential but Locadia is bang average. If we stay up, I hope we cut our losses on him. (Then again, if we go down, Locadia will score for fun next season)

Edit: Barnes wasn't Poyet's decision. Oops! :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here