[Football] Grealish

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
One of the most talented English midfielders in generations - certainly potential to be best since Gazza - I still enjoy watching players like that. The difference between then and now is that we didn't come up against players like Gazza or Giggs or Bergkamp in the league so we could admire them from a distance. Now they are direct competitors we find every way we can to belittle opposition players, it gets frustrating.

What I want is for our players to be able to tackle him fairly, to put him on his backside and come away with the ball, that would get me cheering. Couldn't do it once. But we did keep him relatively quiet and Ben White was excellent marking him in the second half, so I was very pleased with White's performance (and Potter's tactical switch)

Hope you don't mind, I've just added one word otherwise I agree...he's a very talented footballer. But he's also a cheating

05FA9E41-E54B-4DD7-9906-14ABE6E99F59_4_5005_c.jpeg

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
You are correct.

He doesn't always 'need' to go down, mind you. He could stay manfully on his feet sometimes, like Lamptey did a game or so back, in the box, when the referee went 'you're OK mate', and everyone said 'why didn't he go down like everyone else - it would have been a nailed on penalty!!! FFS!!'.

:facepalm:

I understand an intractable bias. It is the basis of religious devotion. However, when it degenerates to the talking of bollocks it gets a bit tedious. :shrug:

Come on Harry - how about the so called tackle that got Lamptey sent off. My 86 year old mum would have stayed on her feet for that one.
If you listen carefully you can still hear his scream in the wind.
Still, sooner or later he will get what's coming to him.
:moo:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Hope you don't mind, I've just added one word otherwise I agree...he's a very talented footballer. But he's also a cheating

View attachment 130696

I don't mind :lolol:

Actually I think it just goes to show how a reputation can stick. I was definitely on the cheating c*nt side of the equation but he's won me over with his England performances and he didn't do anything yesterday to make him stand out from any other footballer as a 'cheater'.

I don't actually care that much, it just seems a bit poor form for all these anti Grealish posts the day after a well deserved victory over his team in which we kept him pretty quiet.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
One of the most talented English midfielders in generations - certainly potential to be best since Gazza - I still enjoy watching players like that. The difference between then and now is that we didn't come up against players like Gazza or Giggs or Bergkamp in the league so we could admire them from a distance. Now they are direct competitors we find every way we can to belittle opposition players, it gets frustrating.

What I want is for our players to be able to tackle him, to put him on his backside and come away with the ball, that would get me cheering. Couldn't do it once. But we did keep him relatively quiet and Ben White was excellent marking him in the second half, so I was very pleased with White's performance (and Potter's tactical switch)

biss did, towards the end

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Decent but flawed player and we won’t really know how good he is until he gets to play in the finals of a major international tournament or against the very top sides in the Champions League. I just find him really irritating, the fact that he is endlessly on his arse, his constant moaning and protesting, his facial expressions, his socks, his Merchant Ivory haircut.. they all have me telling firing abuse at the telly. I am probably being neither fair nor rational but I enjoy a break from being both for 90 minutes.

Tend to agree with most of that. Berate him when he plays against us (at least he didn't score this time) but that doesn't change the fact he is one of England's best players and it's a travesty it took Southgate such a long time to play him. My guess is that dour Southgate can't stand Grealish's personality and that clouded his judgement.

Grealish and Foden should be the first two names on the teamsheet for England (then Kane and, if he's allowed to play, Sterling!)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Come on Harry - how about the so called tackle that got Lamptey sent off. My 86 year old mum would have stayed on her feet for that one.
If you listen carefully you can still hear his scream in the wind.
Still, sooner or later he will get what's coming to him.
:moo:

:lolol: :bowdown:

Mmmmm......nnnnnn.........

He's still the best player in an England shirt at the moment. And it makes me feel good (smug, even, I love my team right now, and love is king) to not feel the need to construct a Cathedral of Hate in his honour.

:thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I really don't but into this "looked tired" line, football is his profession and he trains week in week out to play three games a week. Grealish has come through the EFL and is use to a busy schedule in fixtures.
Maybe we just did a good job on him and closed him down quickly.

Sock boy will not be wanting to see Bissouma for a while. :)

He does get fouled because he actively looks for it. If he spent the time actually playing instead he could be a really good player, I suspect he's not quite that good, hence being at Villa and not Man City or Liverpool.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Trezegete (sp) was worse for it yesterday than Grealish as was their left back, anyone would think they’re coached to do it..... however he still got Lamptey sent off the pikey.
He’ll get snapped one day and I’ll enjoy it, let’s see him up against someone like Ramos next season “there’s something to cry about”, this is his last season at Villa, he’s got Man U ******** written all over him, perfect fit.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I thought it was a typical Grealish display.
Very talented and does draw fouls but my goodness doesn't he make a meal of every single contact?

Awful behaviour in getting Lamptey sent off. His scream of agony would have been heard even if 30000 fans were there.
As for hauling Veltman up by his shirt for doing what he does constantly,a yellow was deserved.
I am not sure how the Villa player who elbowed Veltman got away with it though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

He does get fouled because he actively looks for it. If he spent the time actually playing instead he could be a really good player, I suspect he's not quite that good, hence being at Villa and not Man City or Liverpool.

Says a lot about the modern game that he can turn up week in, week out looking like that and actively look for fouls. Can you imagine him playing against Roy Keane or Vinny Jones in that hair and kit. He'd last less than a minute.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Says a lot about the modern game that he can turn up week in, week out looking like that and actively look for fouls. Can you imagine him playing against Roy Keane or Vinny Jones in that hair and kit. He'd last less than a minute.

F7D36B40-C56C-4C60-80B6-75F2C2AAB1DB.jpeg

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country

For those non-JCLs we remember Mick Ferguson who would always fall over and try to get a foul rather than score or create a chance.

It’s footballing narcissism that he makes any match want to be about him.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I actually think he is a bigger diver than Zaha and I didnt think that was possible.

Zaha is the king of the dive for the penalty.

Murray used to be king of the falling over for free kicks about 50 yards out with his back to goal.

Problem with Grealish is there isnt a blade of grass where he doesn't look for the free kick. If there is any situation to go over , he'll take it. Quite a skill really.

It's fantastic if its your player but its anti football.

He's better than that but it works .

It's amazing how Refs buy it every single time. Modern football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports