Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Grayson has been sacked by Sunderland.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Not surprised Grayson went, he was far too bland.

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 15.54.07.png

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Phil Neville ...The place needs lifting. There is no positivity. I think it is an attractive proposition. There are British coaches in the lower leagues who would jump at the opportunity to manage Sunderland

I notice he isn't jumping up and down for the job !:lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a crazy division though, of the last six relegated clubs, none are doing as well as they should be.
Newcastle have done ok.
I can't recall who said it, but I am starting to believe that staying in the Prem is going to be easier than getting into it from the Championship.
That's definitely the case, I expect several of us have said it. We have to stay up, getting promoted is hard and ever more competitive.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I'd have thought Nathan Jones types might consider it a better prospect if they drop down 1 more level, as that's where the size of everything starts becoming a bigger advantage. At Championship level most clubs are just as 'big' as those outside the top 7 in the PL

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Newcastle have done ok.

They're on of a few exceptions, not the rule. A few years back I read as many clubs end up being further relagated than bounce straight back.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Terrible terrible apportionment. Said this the day they appointed him. Wrong fit.

Not just the wrong fit but a crap manager at Championship level. Has consistently ****ed it up in the Championship for most of his career. A league one manager for a league one team.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Has consistently ****ed it up in the Championship for most of his career. A league one manager for a league one team.

Before the Sunderland debacle, he had a win percentage of 42.7% - that's only a fraction under Hughton's 43.4 %. He's an underestimated manager - have we ever beaten one of his teams? Very rarely if we have.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They're on of a few exceptions, not the rule.
I referred to a comment about the last 6 clubs. Of the last 6 clubs that have been relegated and then played a season in the Championship, half of them have been promoted the following season.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Before the Sunderland debacle, he had a win percentage of 42.7% - that's only a fraction under Hughton's 43.4 %. He's an underestimated manager - have we ever beaten one of his teams? Very rarely if we have.

My point stands that he is a league one manager and is very successful at that level. When stepping up to the Championship he has consistently been found wanting and for a club like Sunderland who should be looking to bounce back to the Premier League he was a disastrous appointment.

Look at his career record. Blackpool, got them promoted from League One, scraped to avoid relegation from the Championship , went to Leeds. Got Leeds promoted from League One, and to be fair had few decent seasons flirting with the playoffs (albeit with a good team) but never converted. In the end sacked for not getting the best out of the players and lack of results. Huddersfield, got them promoted from League One but sacked in January in his first year in the Championship after a run of 12 games without a win. Preston, promoted from League One before couple of seasons in the Championship, did OK. Sunderland, a disaster.

I just can't understand a board that thought, this is the guy to get us out of a league that he has never had much success in. Some managers just have their level. Look at Warnock, great in League One and Championship, ****ing awful in the Prem.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My point stands that he is a league one manager and is very successful at that level. When stepping up to the Championship he has consistently been found wanting and for a club like Sunderland who should be looking to bounce back to the Premier League he was a disastrous appointment.

Look at his career record. Blackpool, got them promoted from League One, scraped to avoid relegation from the Championship , went to Leeds. Got Leeds promoted from League One, and to be fair had few decent seasons flirting with the playoffs (albeit with a good team) but never converted. In the end sacked for not getting the best out of the players and lack of results. Huddersfield, got them promoted from League One but sacked in January in his first year in the Championship after a run of 12 games without a win. Preston, promoted from League One before couple of seasons in the Championship, did OK. Sunderland, a disaster.

I just can't understand a board that thought, this is the guy to get us out of a league that he has never had much success in. Some managers just have their level. Look at Warnock, great in League One and Championship, ****ing awful in the Prem.

You have to put it into some sort of context though. Blackpool is a basket case club and all managers are going to come to grief there: he did pretty well at Leeds (as you admit) and they weren't struggling ... but thought they were a massive club and he had to go; Huddersfield, he was against it a bit, but even so, 12 matches without a win could be seen as pulling the plug too soon (I must confess that I know little about his time there) and he did really well at Preston - he only just finished short of play-offs last season with virtually no money to spend.

All that lot doesn't add up, IMO, as someone who's terrible in the Championship - at worst, it's mixed but I'd say more like someone who does pretty well. The question is (for any manager who's been sacked): do the clubs do a whole lot better after he's been sacked - and the answer in Grayson's case is no

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
For me time to really roll the dice, we are in a terrible position and I dont want to see 'journeymen' managers again.

The one for me is SKP with Reidy as his number 2 to offer an ear and help but just that

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think that it would suit Aitor Kranka who may still live up in that area of the woods.

I.ve no doubt at all that a nice well paid job, now that he's unemployed, would suit Karanka very well. On that basis it would suit me! Doubt if Karanka would be the right appointment for Sunderland, though, which is what their board must consider, not how convenient it might be for any particular individual.

And whilst I'm posting, who the h*ll is SKP?

Edit: Just seen #Lurchy's post re SKP - I certainly never knew that one!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Phil Parkinson sacked tonight with the club a point outside the play offs with a game in hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here