Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gravitatational waves discovered

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Which online courses if you don't mind me asking? I'm genuinely interested in fitting in stuff like this around work/real life.

There's free online courses provided by many of the World's leading universities. The best conglomeration site I've found is coursera.org. They will take you so far. At some point you may wish to study further, in which case, you have a choice of paid for online courses (Oxbridge probably lead the way here in the U.K., not least because they don't contribute free content to Coursera or their competitors). There are also term-based weekly evening classes (10 ish weeks), weekend classes, and FT summer schools (1-4 weeks).

My personal opinion is that Oxbridge are good, but expensive, UCL and KCL are good but very limited in the number of courses available, Imperial is excellent for the harder level stuff, Edinburgh is also good; Manchester is surprisingly poor.

Overseas (online only) MIT and Stanford are brilliant, Copenhagen and Geneva also good. Madrid laughably poor.

Don't forget the OU too. You can study module by module, across a wide variety of topics, and end up with a degree if that takes your fancy. I have a friend who strung courses together over a few years and then discovered he was only two modules away from a degree.

For me, it's just about broadening my knowledge base, and for that, shop around. If you're unsure about a subject, start with a free course from Coursera. Avoid IAI - they have quite a few maverick academics on their courses; better to get some mainstream knowledge first, then branch out into the more controversial opinions, imo.

Hope that helps.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
There's free online courses provided by many of the World's leading universities. The best conglomeration site I've found is coursera.org. They will take you so far. At some point you may wish to study further, in which case, you have a choice of paid for online courses (Oxbridge probably lead the way here in the U.K., not least because they don't contribute free content to Coursera or their competitors). There are also term-based weekly evening classes (10 ish weeks), weekend classes, and FT summer schools (1-4 weeks).

My personal opinion is that Oxbridge are good, but expensive, UCL and KCL are good but very limited in the number of courses available, Imperial is excellent for the harder level stuff, Edinburgh is also good; Manchester is surprisingly poor.

Overseas (online only) MIT and Stanford are brilliant, Copenhagen and Geneva also good. Madrid laughably poor.

Don't forget the OU too. You can study module by module, across a wide variety of topics, and end up with a degree if that takes your fancy. I have a friend who strung courses together over a few years and then discovered he was only two modules away from a degree.

For me, it's just about broadening my knowledge base, and for that, shop around. If you're unsure about a subject, start with a free course from Coursera. Avoid IAI - they have quite a few maverick academics on their courses; better to get some mainstream knowledge first, then branch out into the more controversial opinions, imo.

Hope that helps.
Wonderful. Genuinely helpful and much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Question for the Masters of Physics. Why has this not been detected before, with the laser range finder to the Moon. I assume the Earth would wobble a bit from all the underground activity, ( which should be quantifiable.)
I think I can answer my own question, the target on the Moon cannot detect any deviation, as long as the laser hits the target and returns everybody's happy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here