Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grandma's cooking

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sounds great, If you need a substitute for your next visit....

Ha! It was nice to let go of my normal strict diet and scoff! She'd feed anyone who walks through the door mate, and she's got a house overlooking Weymouth bay, food and a sea view, not bad really!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This thread brings back fond memories of Mrs.P's wee Scottish Grannie. I think on the first time I met her she produced tea and home made cake 30' prior to a full on roast dinner because she was worried I might be hungry.
Five children, a life of hard work in nursing (for which she got an MBE) and she lived pretty independently possessing a full set of marbles until shortly before her passing at 93 bless her.

Sounds tops! MBE? That's a bit special mate. Yes, my Gran was a nurse too, no MBE but she gets a thumbs up for her cherry rouillard!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Whilst bowing to the fact that you are the only person ever to have lived in London, I remember it well. Most of the families in the area were poor, and it was given out to make sure kids had food in their stomachs.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I recently spent a few days with my dear Grandma, outstanding woman and still going very strong at 92, still does aquarobics, drives etc. This was 48 hrs cooking by her:

Roast pork, red cabbage and vinegar, mash, mushroom gravy.

2 bacon, 2 banger, 2 egg, black pudding, tomato, 2 slices of Holy Ghost.

Corned beef hash, mash, peas, gravy

Steak and kidney suet pudding, mash, swede, cabbages, carrots gravy

Custard tart, custard

2 bacon, 2 sausage, 2 egg, black pudding, fried slice.

Together with copious cups of tea and lemon drizzle cake.

My God! I'm still waiting for the shit to arrive, it's been 3 days. It's utterly remarkable how anyone could eat like that daily, as I say she is 91, slim and strong as a ox.

How did people do it?

This conversation has often cropped up at home and every time the answer is the same, technology has made people fat and lazy. Where the vast majority of things in life used to involve manual work these days everything is done at the push of a button whether it's at work or in the home. When I was a nipper you never saw people jogging or going to the gym because they didn't need to they got more than enough exercise to burn off fat etc just going about their normal way of life, I'd love to see how a lot of todays younger generation would cope with that sort of lifestyle.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I can't recall my grandparents eating anything too horrendous (thinking back to the tripe thread here). I do recall my granny made epic roast dinners. Her roast potatoes have never been bettered in my lifetime by any restaurant. Or by me.

Cruelly, she developed Alzheimer's in her final years, and when that kicked in, the once-anticipated roasts became more of a guessing game as to which food flavouring she'd put into the gravy, and which elements of the meal would actually be cooked and which weren't.

I prefer to look back at all the good days :)

Sadly very much this. I knew we were in trouble when I saw her putting Coffee granules in the Gravy.

Is this the place to start a debate about the best form of suet to use in cooking? The dehydrated stuff that comes in packets from supermarkets or fresh suet cut by a butcher from around the kidneys of a dead cow?

In fact, is it still possible to buy fresh suet from a butcher?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I recently spent a few days with my dear Grandma, outstanding woman and still going very strong at 92, still does aquarobics, drives etc. This was 48 hrs cooking by her:

Roast pork, red cabbage and vinegar, mash, mushroom gravy.

2 bacon, 2 banger, 2 egg, black pudding, tomato, 2 slices of Holy Ghost.

Corned beef hash, mash, peas, gravy

Steak and kidney suet pudding, mash, swede, cabbages, carrots gravy

Custard tart, custard

2 bacon, 2 sausage, 2 egg, black pudding, fried slice.

Together with copious cups of tea and lemon drizzle cake.

My God! I'm still waiting for the shit to arrive, it's been 3 days. It's utterly remarkable how anyone could eat like that daily, as I say she is 91, slim and strong as a ox.

How did people do it?

And she's getting younger all the time. A whole year younger even during the course of you typing this. She sounds like a lovely country lady.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is this the place to start a debate about the best form of suet to use in cooking? The dehydrated stuff that comes in packets from supermarkets or fresh suet cut by a butcher from around the kidneys of a dead cow?

In fact, is it still possible to buy fresh suet from a butcher?

My wife asked a butcher for some and was told it wasnt available. Not sure if he meant he didnt buy meat with it on or not permitted to sell it by law so she has to resort to packets. I am going in to Burgess Hill later I will ask the butcher in the Martletts and report back.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My Nan used to give me pork dripping on toast with salt and pepper, stuffed lambs' hearts and, her piece de resistance, half a lamb's brain on toast that I was expected to smear across the toast, sprinkle with pepper and eat. The latter is one of my most vivid childhood memories. It tasted better than it sounds. Just. Oh, and homemade ******s and peas pudding - delicious.

Yep, you can still buy fresh suet. Though my butcher never charges me for it, he's glad to get rid of some.

EDIT: *sigh*, am American-based swear filter has caught me out - the word was f*ggots

EDIT 2: God, I miss her :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here