Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grammar slam

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm fairly relaxed on grammar these days & a number of mistakes are understandable in a way. However, the one that makes my blood boil is should of, could of, would of. Where did these even come from? It's not even like they actually make any sense or are an abbreviation of something that does.

It's taken from the sound of could've or would've which in turn are abbereviations of could have etc.

Your next sentence drives me potty putting 'even' before a verb.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm fairly relaxed on grammar these days & a number of mistakes are understandable in a way. However, the one that makes my blood boil is should of, could of, would of. Where did these even come from? It's not even like they actually make any sense or are an abbreviation of something that does.

've sounds like 'of' when spoken, so it comes from the phonetic spelling, I would guess.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

: pedant git:

Should be 'and', really.

Should be 'nor', in truth.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I saw this in Sainsbury's a few weeks ago. Annoyed me so much that I took a photo and twittered at them. Their reply? "What seems to be the problem?" :facepalm:

2013-06-15 15.00.jpg

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
The one that annoys me most "different to". How can things differ towards each other? It's "different from".

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Good whilst it is just us pedants here, can I sound off about degrees of uniqueness. Seems to be PR types who want to tell you their offering is very unique, almost unique etc.

its unique or it aint. Their are no halve measures, so please **** of and use another word innit.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Good whilst it is just us pedants here, can I sound off about degrees of uniqueness. Seems to be PR types who want to tell you their offering is very unique, almost unique etc.

its unique or it aint. Their are no halve measures, so please **** of and use another word innit.

This is true, but something may have more unique features than something else.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
And don't get me started on the expression "seven times less" (often about some new wonderful green advancement for instance this car produces seven times less carbon dioxide than its equivalent model). How can some thing be a magnitude less? Do they mean one seventh (which they should state) or do they mean that it actively consumes six times the amount of carbon dioxide that the equivalent model produces?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here