Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grammar police

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Really clever and informative. That said the grammatical errors on NSC postings don't worry me at all. But I get seriously Pizzed off with guys that put more effort into ridiculing incorrect grammar posters than they do making any meaningful comments.
In fact it's bloody rude. We all have some standard of education some better than others. Give the less educated a break they may well be more talented in other arenas. I personally would think it a shame that good and genuine BHA fans avoided posting on here because the elite make fun of them. ???

I think you mean congratulation's.

Surely those of us that like to correct some grammatical errors are merely providing, free of charge, an educational service. Some take umbrage and refuse to learn. More fool them!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Surely those of us that like to correct some grammatical errors are merely providing, free of charge, an educational service. Some take umbrage and refuse to learn. More fool them!

Or you,if you imagine a single user posts on these threads for English lessons. This is a Footy Forum not Open University !

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Or you,if you imagine a single user posts on these threads for English lessons. This is a Footy Forum not Open University !

Shouldn't you have single space after your first comma? Besides, you pay fees for the Open University courses whereas the Grammar Police provide a free service.

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I'd hardly call people who correctly use 'your' and 'you're' as 'the elite'. It is basic English, and if somebody can't get that right then I don't see why anyone would listen to their opinion.

Its about content rather than appearances or do you veiw Stephen Hawkins as just a flid in a wheel chair? Same principles.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Shouldn't you have single space after your first comma? Besides, you pay fees for the Open University courses whereas the Grammar Policeprovide a free service.

Hello hello, what do we have here then? Should we now read that as a confession to being a member of the feared Grammar Police then?

ps. Sorry about the single space thing......I'm distraught. :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hello hello, what do we have here then? Should we now read that as a confession to being a member of the feared Grammar Police then?

ps. Sorry about the single space thing......I'm distraught. :)

I see your problem now. There is no reason to be distraught over missing a space. Just learn from your mistake!! Stop getting so uptight about a bit of fun.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

I agree. What does 'umbrage' mean?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I see your problem now. There is no reason to be distraught over missing a space. Just learn from your mistake!! Stop getting so uptight about a bit of fun.

You are now surely a victim of your own policing, what does this mean !! inspector?Surely the first as a singular exclamation mark is the end of the sentence. So the second one means ..... what?
Isn't it irritating when people nit pick ? And well done you, you guessed right I'm not distraught at the missing space. Why would I be, I'm the pupil.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You are now surely a victim of your own policing, what does this mean !! inspector?Surely the first as a singular exclamation mark is the end of the sentence. So the second one means ..... what?
Isn't it irritating when people nit pick ? And well done you, you guessed right I'm not distraught at the missing space. Why would I be, I'm the pupil.

In a word, emphasis!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Call that an ellipsis?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I never knew that. Well, we live and learn.

Well don't digest that information if you seriously want to learn. When I got myself involved in these posts I at least gave both of you credit as guardians of the NSC Grammar Standards of having high grammatical skills. Now however you both reveal yourselves as charlatans.
1.Ellipsis is something I often use in my posts ... It is entirely a succession of dots to mark out omissions. It has nothing to do with anything else.

2. Grammatically you cannot Emphasise an exclamation mark, that's exactly what one is. There should be ONE end punctuation mark to each sentence. Professionally, it doesn’t reinforce the exclamation, it just breaks grammatical rules.

Anyway I'll leave you both in your Ivory Towers looking down on the mere mortal posters on NSC in derision. And no I'm not angry, not one iota. Though amused perhaps. :wink:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
  • It is generally employed with interjections or clauses used as interjections: "Alas! I am forsaken." "What a lovely landscape!"
  • Expressions of strong emotion call for the exclamation: "Charge, Chester, charge! On, Stanley, on!"
  • When the emotion is very strong double exclamation points may be used: "Assist him!! I would rather assist Satan!!"

http://www.englishlanguageterminology.org/punctuation/exclamation-mark.htm

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Its about content rather than appearances or do you veiw Stephen Hawkins as just a flid in a wheel chair? Same principles.

I'm pretty sure Stephen Hawking can manage basic grammar. Unlike yourself, with your incorrect use of 'its'. Do they not teach how to speak properly in the scouts these days?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I'm pretty sure Stephen Hawking can manage basic grammar. Unlike yourself, with your incorrect use of 'its'. Do they not teach how to speak properly in the scouts these days?

Why is gramma that important for a dodgy recruitment consultant?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why is gramma that important for a dodgy recruitment consultant?

It's important for anyone who doesn't want to come across as an illiterate fool.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here