Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graham Swann retires from all cricket with immediate effect.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see the ECB have now sent for Borthwick and Tredwell. What I like about Borthwick is that his wickets come at a reasonable rate and he scores runs. He's also a teammate of Ben Stokes, so that might help both players in the England set-up. I hope for Swann's sake that England end up picking Borthwick and that he settles right in like Stokes did. If that happens I think Swanny will owe him a crate of champagne.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
On the other hand I wonder how long it will be before he really puts the knife into his former team mates? I'm interested to see what he has to say about KP.

Not long I'd imagine & he'll slaughter KP, after all he's the one who's been unprofessional enough to let it get personal in the past (unless the twitter account was Broad - my money was on Swann and in his biography, printed whilst in the same dressing room as KP.) Swann's inferiority complex goes back to the knowledge that he should have been an all time great and won't be because he wasted his talent for too long.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I see the ECB have now sent for Borthwick and Tredwell. What I like about Borthwick is that his wickets come at a reasonable rate and he scores runs. He's also a teammate of Ben Stokes, so that might help both players in the England set-up. I hope for Swann's sake that England end up picking Borthwick and that he settles right in like Stokes did. If that happens I think Swanny will owe him a crate of champagne.

Or Borthwick will owe Swann one for giving him his chance?

It's interesting though by sending him the indication is that they intend on playing him. Surely they should be giving Monty a go first, his test record is as good as say, Nathan Lyon's??

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

It's interesting though by sending him the indication is that they intend on playing him. Surely they should be giving Monty a go first, his test record is as good as say, Nathan Lyon's??

The SCG is generally good for spinners. Stuart MacGill usually played there with Shane Warne. He was the unlucky bloke. A world class spinner in Warne's shadow. His average is as good as Swanns, for example.

Bowling averages
Swann 60 Tests 109 innings 255 wickets 29.96 average
McGill 44 Tests 85 innings 208 wickets 29.02 average

McGill's stats were good partly because he was often chosen as a second spinner when there was the prospect of a turning wicket.

So I think Monty at the MCG and Monty plus Borthwick at the SCG. Unless they all give up and go home.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Swann was going to call it a day after this tour anyway, so Borthwick would have been in the frame come what may. If they lose 5-0 and Swann's replacement is carted then it's not going to be the easiest start for Swann's media career. On the other hand, if his replacement does well and makes a real impact in these last 2 matches Swann will partly be vindicated and his actions may be assessed in a different light.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes we do - "I know I'm making the decision for the right reasons," added Swann. "My body doesn't like playing five-day cricket any more and I don't feel I can justify my spot in the team in the latter stages of a game."

So I think people are perfectly entitled to comment.

Bet he'll be back for a few big paydays in the IPL tho eh?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The thing I don't get is why players feel a need to retire from International sport when they are still good enough to be selected for the first XI. Scholes could have carried on for a few more years playing football for England, Strauss was still good enough to open the batting.

How can anyone turn your own Country down!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Bet he'll be back for a few big paydays in the IPL tho eh?

And why not? Every other international cricketer (bar the Pakistani's I think - but they have their own way of making extra money!!) have the option to play in the IPL. It's funny that since the emergence of the IPL, the first test of the summer has been creeping forward, anyone would think the ECB are jealous of a well run, commerically brilliant 20/20 competition. It's not the England player's fault that the powers that be completely failed to introduce a decent 20/20 competition in this country. Any English cricketer worth their salt would want to play IPL either during or after their test career and it's only the ECB's bitterness that is stopping them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The thing I don't get is why players feel a need to retire from International sport when they are still good enough to be selected for the first XI. Scholes could have carried on for a few more years playing football for England, Strauss was still good enough to open the batting.

Scholes pulled the old "want to spend more time with my family" card when he eventually got pissed off with Sven playing him all over the shop. Even though as a footballer, who's normal working day consists of 10am - 2pm training, he already got to spend more time with his family then most people who actually have a proper job EVER get in life. The ginger ponce.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011

There is a lot of travelling and time away from home involved in international cricket also Swann has a young family.

Always enjoyed his exploits with England. Shame it had to end this way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here