Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter's Wolves Press Conference

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Given what we've seen this season, do you, hand on heart really believe he would have been able to address our winless run without the league suspension?

I keep seeing that being touted. But of course the league being suspended impacted all teams, no? So any perceived advantage you’re giving to Potter because of the season being stopped, naturally also applies to every other manager in the league.

I see it as he had time, but he obviously used the time well by reviewing players performance, preparing for future games and ensuring morale was good. That is good management and for which he deserves credit, not scorn.

That aside, I never felt under real threat. We didn’t spend any time in the bottom 3.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yes, how stupid it is to learn anything.

I mean why do people do that. What idiot wants to learn...

Can you advise what has been learnt with regards to set pieces at either end as after 18 months of GP teaching we are still inept at the sharp end and as soft as fudge at the other. I would like to think that after 18 months this might have improved but this season clearly shows the reverse

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Can you advise what has been learnt with regards to set pieces at either end as after 18 months of GP teaching we are still inept at the sharp end and as soft as fudge at the other. I would like to think that after 18 months this might have improved but this season clearly shows the reverse

I agree set pieces are an issue. I’m Potter in but not blinkered. It’s a real problem.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Hopefully we can snaffle a couple today from corners or free kicks. The law of averages must tilt our way at some point

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Or are we letting in too many goals? We’ve scored more goals than quite a few PL teams

Or are you saying that goals scored = entertainment?

It is certainly part of Potter’s ‘make things more entertaining’ brief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Why would you assume that it has anything to do with Hughton?

It was defensive of Potter to repeatedly mention it - first season up Brighton got 40 points and finished 15th - second season 36 points and 17th - last season 41 points and 15th - this season currently 17th.

I would argue that it is not a lot of improvement after spending over £100m and effectively getting an entirely new first team. Now - I have repeatedly argued that just to stand still in the PL a club needs to spend £50-£60m a year and to make progress you need to spend a minimum of £100m a year. It is not a criticism of Potter that he has the same league position and 1 more point than previously - that is the nature of the PL. And while Brighton are playing prettier football - the results are pretty much the same. Hughton made the team difficult to beat and had good home form - in 17/18 - 7W, 8D, 4L - in 18/19 - 6W, 5D, 8L - Potter's team in 19/20 - 5W, 7D, 7L - but crucially have 1 win at home in the last 12 months with 8D and 8L. If Brighton are to survive - and they should and I expect them to - then Potter has to figure out how to win some home games - and fast.

Seriously - is that the best you can do. Remember when everyone around here was raving about Connolly and I was telling everyone to hold their horses.

Because I am a bit of a nerd I had to go back and check it - because I distinctly heard him say it repeatedly - and I was right - he talked about the 41 points at 7.55, again at 12.56 and again at 22.36. And I would refer you to what I said above - at the end of the day football is, like all professional sports, results based - and in my view Potter was being very defensive in repeatedly referring back to what happened last year. The clubs is in its fourth year in the PL - and that is a big achievement in modern football so dominated by money - but from the perspective of the managers job, what he did last year bears little relevance to happens this year and if Brighton get relegated then that is what Potter will be remembered for - not that he got 41 points in the previous season.

So you must have been in agreement with Tony Bloom to sack Chris Hughton then after his last season as our form and results nosedived that season. Staying up in 17th by the skin of our teeth and stinking the division out playing some of the worst football the Premier League has ever seen then?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
So you must have been in agreement with Tony Bloom to sack Chris Hughton then after his last season as our form and results nosedived that season. Staying up in 17th by the skin of our teeth and stinking the division out playing some of the worst football the Premier League has ever seen then?

Seriously -

So we are clear - I think it was a mistake to sack Hughton - it is a remarkable achievement for any manager to get a club promoted and them keep them in the PL for two seasons on a bottom three budget. To the best of my recollection Hughton is the only manager to achieve this and then get sacked in the history of the PL.

But that is water under the bridge now and it really is time to move on rather than people keep harping on about comparisons between Hughton and Potter - they are in two different situations with different circumstances - although Potter does appear to be suffering second season syndrome, just like Hughton did. Time will tell if he can right the ship.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Seriously -

So we are clear - I think it was a mistake to sack Hughton - it is a remarkable achievement for any manager to get a club promoted and them keep them in the PL for two seasons on a bottom three budget. To the best of my recollection Hughton is the only manager to achieve this and then get sacked in the history of the PL.

But that is water under the bridge now and it really is time to move on rather than people keep harping on about comparisons between Hughton and Potter - they are in two different situations with different circumstances - although Potter does appear to be suffering second season syndrome, just like Hughton did. Time will tell if he can right the ship.

Hypocrite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
We made the openings because of the way Potter set us up but like so many entitled fans on here you are blaming Potter because the players didn’t score? The subs actually did worse than the allegedly shit players they replaced and didn’t even have a shot on target. I give up with posters like you who clearly have an agenda. Will you just disappear from NSC the next time we win and come back again as soon as we lose or draw again?

Even the Arsenal biased pundits said we were the better team in the first half, the same team slagged off by most of NSC as having been picked because Potter “ didn’t want the job/ was making a point to Bloom/throwing the game”. FFS

The players came on when Arsenal were on top and had just scored. Doesn't everyone here who posts have an 'agenda'? It's an opinion that they're posting. Quit with this 'entitled' crap. People are posting because they're not happy with what Potter is doing. The same way people post about the players or could post about the board etc. I agree we were the better team in the first off so well done to Potter for that. My problem is that he had AJ and Macillsietr upfront for this big game which was dreadful (and before you say it, he could have saved one of Maupay or Welbeck for the game or started a forward in Zequiri or Connolly). I want Potter to do better and I'm fed up with how he is managing things, how he is on the touchline and what he says in the press. It could get better but I'm concerned it won't.

Xzlod

May 18, 2016
Listened to it throughout, have to ask the question am, are we listening to a man who will turn it around or a man so far out of his depth it’s painful?

Out of his depth I'm afraid. He was very defensive and very vague. Question on tinkering with team was a fair one. He answered it unconvincingly and looked rattled. Comment on being "fair to players" was revealing. No way should a Prem League manager care about being fair. He has to make the right call, fair or unfair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here