[Albion] Graham Potter's Wolves Press Conference

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not listened but you’d be amazed at how many long term fans don’t “get” squad rotation when playing 3 games in 8 days

I’d be amazed how managers don’t understand you are less likely to score with no forwards on the pitch.

(That includes Pep)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
His answer to the 'tinker' question was excellent. Top man.

Edit "I don't think the groundsman would be too happy if we trained at the Amex". Someone tell the journalist dick that we have a training centre in Shoreham. Even I know that and I live 80 sodding miles away.

Thought it was a bit arrogant TBH.

I’m sure these are an ordeal for all managers, but respect works both ways.....

Good news re Tau.....

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Great work [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] whilst I may not agree with some of GP’s views, your summary is excellent....

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Listened to it throughout, have to ask the question am, are we listening to a man who will turn it around or a man so far out of his depth it’s painful?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Listened to it throughout, have to ask the question am, are we listening to a man who will turn it around or a man so far out of his depth it’s painful?

If you say he is out of his depth, Im fairly sure he will turn it around. If you think he will turn it around, I will start to worry that he wont.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hmmmmm interesting watching. Very interesting.

The reaction to the Arsenal lineup was a clear sore point, i can’t fully follow his reasoning tbh... yes we’d probably need to rest one or two players ... but that lineup remains mystifying... I felt he was being deliberately obtuse with the journalist- “any particular examples?” Ermmmmm how about virtually the entire Arsenal XI... come on Graham! If he can’t see that lineup as being slightly ‘out there’ and worthy following the loss of (journalistic investigation) explanation then, well, I’m losing faith he can actually see his errors and actually learn anything to be brutally honest... his own words remember. He’s very guilty of tinkering and (again) his petulant posturing around this subject was/is hardly endearing.

Here’s hoping for a positive response and a more convincing XI this evening.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hmmmmm interesting watching. Very interesting.

The reaction to the Arsenal lineup was a clear sore point, i can’t fully follow his reasoning tbh... yes we’d probably need to rest one or two players ... but that lineup remains mystifying... I felt he was being contrite with the journalist- “any particular examples?” Ermmmmm how about virtually the entire Arsenal XI... come on Graham! If he can’t see that lineup as being slightly ‘out there’ and worthy following the loss of (journalistic investigation) explanation then, well, I’m losing faith he can actually see his errors and actually learn anything to be brutally honest... his own words remember. He’s very guilty of tinkering and (again) his petulant posturing around this subject was/is hardly endearing.

Here’s hoping for a positive response and a more convincing XI this evening.

Because you had so much before watching this press conference...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Because you had so much before watching this press conference...

Well no, not really. I felt he looked determined and yes he’s clearly up for the fight, but surely we all agree that he got it a bit wrong the other night. The assertion that NM was tired after not playing much in recent weeks and thus couldn’t start ... or perhaps that he was / is too tightly coiled - Well, I disagree: I think NM should have started, he loves playing against Arsenal - throwing him on late on and expecting him to be our savior (again) was harsh in the extreme... I sincerely believe had he started we would have got at least a point the other night.

I know you’ll disagree, but that’s your prerogative.

Onward to better things this evening.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well no, it really. I felt he looked determined and yes he’s clearly up for the fight, but surely we all agree that he got it a bit wrong the other night. The assertion that NM was tired after not playing much in recent weeks and thus couldn’t start ... or perhaps that he was / is too tightly coiled - Well, I disagree: I think NM should have started, he loves playing against Arsenal - throwing him on late on and expecting him to be our savior (again) was harsh in the extreme... I sincerely believe had he started we would have got at least a point the other night.

I know you’ll disagree, but that’s your prerogative.

Onward to better things this evening.

No, we dont agree. I for example dont agree. I know you "couldnt follow his reasoning", but I could. And I know you thought the lineup was mystifying, I dont think it was. Whatever Maupay was doing two weeks ago or in January 2014 or at 9/11 2001 he still started a game about 48 hours before the Arsenal game.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
No, we dont agree. I for example dont agree. I know you "couldnt follow his reasoning", but I could. And I know you thought the lineup was mystifying, I dont think it was. Whatever Maupay was doing two weeks ago or in January 2014 or at 9/11 2001 he still started a game about 48 hours before the Arsenal game.

I’m willing to bet, NM wanted to start ... more than anything.

As a coach, former player ... would you have been happy being benched? Even if it were the case (and I’m no expert - you are, well you keep telling me or inferring you are) surely you start him and give him 45 mins and then rest him, possibly bringing in Ali J at the break... or even one of the other strikers on the bench - why have Welbeck on the bench at all if he was ‘injured’ ? Again, hmmmmmm.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’m willing to bet, NM wanted to start ... more than anything.

As a coach, former player ... would you have been happy being benched? Even if it were the case (and I’m no expert - you are, well you keep telling me or inferring you are) surely you start him and give him 45 mins and then rest him, possibly bringing in Ali J at the break... or even one of the other strikers on the bench - why have Welbeck on the bench if he was ‘injured’ ? Again, hmmmmmm.

I dont know. Most likely Maupay would have liked to be in the starting lineup. Same probably goes for every other player pretty much ever. That doesnt mean its the best decision. Maupay would not have been less tired from the previous game regardless if he played the first 45 minutes or not. Its not only affecting your game at the end of it. If you go into a game tired, you are tired. If anything I would critisise GP for throwing him on in the last 30 minutes, because he really didnt look like his normal energetic self. Hopefully those 30 mins or so doesnt make a gigantic difference going into todays game (Maupay will be starting btw).

As for Welbeck and Connolly being on the bench despite having knee/groin issues only people at the club could give answers to that. The people at the club knows why, you and mr journo can make assumptions, others can guess. And my guess is one of or most likely both of: Welbeck and Connolly, perhaps especially Welbeck, being a person you want to bring along in your matchday squad injured or not as opposed to having empty room on your bench, and there being some scenarios where GP would actually have given them ten minutes or so. Say a scenario where Brighton was dominating but went down 1-0 in the 80th minute instead of the 66th. Could we have seen a bit of half-injured Welbeck then? Again, only possible to guess and my guess would be "its quite likely". Connolly coming on with 10 minutes left if instead leading 1-0 wouldnt have surprised me either, with his ability to win set pieces out.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I dont know. Most likely Maupay would have liked to be in the starting lineup. Same probably goes for every other player pretty much ever. That doesnt mean its the best decision. Maupay would not have been less tired from the previous game regardless if he played the first 45 minutes or not. Its not only affecting your game at the end of it. If you go into a game tired, you are tired. If anything I would critisise GP for throwing him on in the last 30 minutes, because he really didnt look like his normal energetic self. Hopefully those 30 mins or so doesnt make a gigantic difference going into todays game (Maupay will be starting btw).

As for Welbeck and Connolly being on the bench despite having knee/groin issues only people at the club could give answers to that. The people at the club knows why, you and mr journo can make assumptions, others can guess. And my guess is one of or most likely both of: Welbeck and Connolly, perhaps especially Welbeck, being a person you want to bring along in your matchday squad injured or not as opposed to having empty room on your bench, and there being some scenarios where GP would actually have given them ten minutes or so. Say a scenario where Brighton was dominating but went down 1-0 in the 80th minute instead of the 66th. Could we have seen a bit of half-injured Welbeck then? Again, only possible to guess and my guess would be "its quite likely". Connolly coming on with 10 minutes left if instead leading 1-0 wouldnt have surprised me either, with his ability to win set pieces out.

Good post - I agree btw it was possibly an error (easy for us to say in hindsight) to bring on NM when GP did... thinking about it, it might have worked better to bring him on at HT to press home our 1st half advantage and un-nerve that nervy Arsenal defence. Waiting too long when they started to improve and (yes) then opting for NM to save the day - well, we’ll see today if his mins therein will help or hinder his energy/fluidity... however, perhaps he felt he had no choice? If indeed DW & AC were too unfit to play the 30 mins or so... although I’d like to have seen NM and our young Swiss up top together.

I want us to win btw, and GP to take the plaudits - I hope you can see that.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
There is zero logic to dropping all of your strikers when your obvious problem is a lack of goals. End of debate.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Let’s hope he packs another surprise today by going at Wolves from the off, rather than “pushing up a bit” when we go 1-0 down.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There is zero logic to dropping all of your strikers when your obvious problem is a lack of goals. End of debate.

Or are we letting in too many goals? We’ve scored more goals than quite a few PL teams

Or are you saying that goals scored = entertainment?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

But how is he out of his depth when he kept us up last season, his first in the PL, with a club record points total?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I will hazard a guess you don’t like the fact he got more than Hughton? [emoji1] Why on earth would you object to him saying that. It’s the truth.

He only says it as a pointer against criticism. This season isn’t over yet, but that’s factually the result he got last season.
Why would you assume that it has anything to do with Hughton?

It was defensive of Potter to repeatedly mention it - first season up Brighton got 40 points and finished 15th - second season 36 points and 17th - last season 41 points and 15th - this season currently 17th.

I would argue that it is not a lot of improvement after spending over £100m and effectively getting an entirely new first team. Now - I have repeatedly argued that just to stand still in the PL a club needs to spend £50-£60m a year and to make progress you need to spend a minimum of £100m a year. It is not a criticism of Potter that he has the same league position and 1 more point than previously - that is the nature of the PL. And while Brighton are playing prettier football - the results are pretty much the same. Hughton made the team difficult to beat and had good home form - in 17/18 - 7W, 8D, 4L - in 18/19 - 6W, 5D, 8L - Potter's team in 19/20 - 5W, 7D, 7L - but crucially have 1 win at home in the last 12 months with 8D and 8L. If Brighton are to survive - and they should and I expect them to - then Potter has to figure out how to win some home games - and fast.

if he had an irish grandmother, you would be "repeatedly stating that he got the highest number of points last season that Brighton ever got in the PL"
Seriously - is that the best you can do. Remember when everyone around here was raving about Connolly and I was telling everyone to hold their horses.

Not sure he “repeatedly” said it. Just the once wasn’t it?

He said it once and it is a relevant point. By your logic we can forget about everything that happened at the club between 2015 and 2019 too then?
Because I am a bit of a nerd I had to go back and check it - because I distinctly heard him say it repeatedly - and I was right - he talked about the 41 points at 7.55, again at 12.56 and again at 22.36. And I would refer you to what I said above - at the end of the day football is, like all professional sports, results based - and in my view Potter was being very defensive in repeatedly referring back to what happened last year. The clubs is in its fourth year in the PL - and that is a big achievement in modern football so dominated by money - but from the perspective of the managers job, what he did last year bears little relevance to happens this year and if Brighton get relegated then that is what Potter will be remembered for - not that he got 41 points in the previous season.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
But how is he out of his depth when he kept us up last season, his first in the PL, with a club record points total?

Given what we've seen this season, do you, hand on heart really believe he would have been able to address our winless run without the league suspension?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports