Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter's Season Review

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I notice you didn't answer the question. Here it is again :

The man must have been told 10 000 times by his teachers "Justice, its should have and would have, not should of and would of"... but he obviously failed to process that information. Suggesting that he would be able to understand and answer a question... I think its a brave call.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
But we've thrown money at some players- Webster, Trossard and Maupay are in the core of Potter’s side. Bissouma was £15m. Yes, we've brought through Ben White via loans but we turned down nearly £30m for him.

Yes there's been some bargains in there (Gross, Veltman) and some freebies on big wages (Lallana, Welbeck) but people talk as if it's an under 23 side assembled on a free. It's absolutely not.

I am on board with Potter on the recent improvements shown since Christmas, the defensive work looks great, but you can't ignore our league position, it is as much to do with the manager as it is our lack of 20 goal a season striker (which rarely exist outside the big 4 anyway).

I can't help but wonder whether GPot would have quite such a loyal following if xG hadn't come into the mainstream.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Of course we've spent some money, he's not saying we won't spend any, but the truth is we spent £20 million on Maupay, we're not spending 60 or 70 million on a player and then paying a fortune in wages.

The way that we're doing things differently to other clubs, is that because we're not forking out those enormous figures, we'll never sign players like Giroud or Abraham that some fans have been clamouring for in recent weeks. We are going to buy players and develop them. That is our idea, that is our direction and thats what we're trying to do differently to a lot of of other clubs.

For all the people that aren't backing Potter, what you have to understand is that if Potter goes, that idea/philosophy won't change, we'll get someone else in who follows that principle. If you want to enjoy watching the Albion you're probably better coming to terms with this idea of how the club is run and how it approaches life in the Prem, because if you think there's going to be a sea change and we're suddenly going to start spending a fortune of big name players you're going to be disappointed.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Both of the managers mentioned here receive a lot of stick on this forum and quite rightly so.
However they have both achieved higher league positions with inferior squads.
GP needs to learn how to not drop so many points from winning positions and also learn a way how to beat teams around and below us.
If and when he masters this, then I will hold him in the same regard as some of the posters on here.
I don't get how we're so lucky to have him stuff when we're 4th from bottom in the league.

I agree with this - it's a bit of emperor's new clothes with Potter. So many blinded by style while ignoring results.

Nice interview but hardly hard hitting was it ? No questioning of our appalling home record or constant conceding of late result altering goals our poor disciplinary record or failure to beat any of the bottom three teams home or away.

I think Potter and Hughton have identical Prem records , us finishing in 15th & 17th with both . Yet Hughton also took us to a FA Cup Semi Final and was sacked while Potter is lauded as a miracle worker by many on here. If he is still here next season and we are kicking around the relegation places again will people still say how courageous he is?

I want Albion to do better each season but who the manager is doesn't really matter to me as they will inevitably leave one way or another.

D

Deleted member 2719

I hope Potter hangs around and I hope Tone, gives him a striker to compliment Maupay, he could be my favourite all-time Albion manager, with so much potential.

D

Deleted member 2719

I agree with this - it's a bit of emperor's new clothes with Potter. So many blinded by style while ignoring results.

Nice interview but hardly hard hitting was it ? No questioning of our appalling home record or constant conceding of late result altering goals our poor disciplinary record or failure to beat any of the bottom three teams home or away.

I think Potter and Hughton have identical Prem records , us finishing in 15th & 17th with both . Yet Hughton also took us to a FA Cup Semi Final and was sacked while Potter is lauded as a miracle worker by many on here. If he is still here next season and we are kicking around the relegation places again will people still say how courageous he is?

I want Albion to do better each season but who the manager is doesn't really matter to me as they will inevitably leave one way or another.

So you would not like a potential Fergie of Wenger to nurture the Albion then?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Both of the managers mentioned here receive a lot of stick on this forum and quite rightly so.
However they have both achieved higher league positions with inferior squads.
GP needs to learn how to not drop so many points from winning positions and also learn a way how to beat teams around and below us.
If and when he masters this, then I will hold him in the same regard as some of the posters on here.
I don't get how we're so lucky to have him stuff when we're 4th from bottom in the league.

Premier League wage Bills

Crystal Palace £84.9m pa - 8th Highest
Newcastle Utd £56.9m pa - 11th Highest
Brighton and Hove Albion £43.2m 16th Highest

If they are inferior squads its because of the poor choices made by their management teams...

boik

But we've thrown money at some players- Webster, Trossard and Maupay are in the core of Potter’s side. Bissouma was £15m. Yes, we've brought through Ben White via loans but we turned down nearly £30m for him.

Yes there's been some bargains in there (Gross, Veltman) and some freebies on big wages (Lallana, Welbeck) but people talk as if it's an under 23 side assembled on a free. It's absolutely not.

I am on board with Potter on the recent improvements shown since Christmas, the defensive work looks great, but you can't ignore our league position, it is as much to do with the manager as it is our lack of 20 goal a season striker (which rarely exist outside the big 4 anyway).

I can't help but wonder whether GPot would have quite such a loyal following if xG hadn't come into the mainstream.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

He should have a loyal following with anyone who has eyes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m listening to TS’s commentary.

Danny Mills throughout the 45 has been steadily scathing of Brighton under Potter’s reign:

- Laughing at Jahanbakhsh’s poor technique.

- Unimpressed by Potter ... football’s ultimately all about the 2 penalty boxes....great defence and putting the ball in the net. It’s not job of the owner to spend a vast sum on a striker, it’s about coaching. Bielsa has shown he’s world class with their league position.

- Laughing at our no real attempts on goal.

He also thought that was a disgusting challenge by Jahanbakhsh, violent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here