Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter's Season Review

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Lovely interview, decent bloke, great coach and we’re very lucky to have him... really hopeful that he’ll be with us for another couple of seasons and I’m excited to see what he’ll do in that time..

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My only reservation is wishing his breathing wasn’t quite so audible.

Bu other than that, Potter in every day of the week.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Unsurprisingly, it’s the stability and quality of the leadership team including Bloom, Ashworth & Barber that Potter finds so impressive.

And to think he’d run to Levy? Never.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What am I missing we are the forth worst performing team in the league :shrug: we have struggled consistently against teams around us (mainly below us) and having a few plucky goes at the top six just isn’t enough in this league.

I would generally be on board with the ‘ great coach ‘, ‘ lucky to have him ‘ if we had comfortably finished mid table. This team still has many flaws a winning mentality is definitely one.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When a thread on Potter starts on NSC I could write the responses of probably 20 NSCers who rate and don’t rate him and defy you tell that it wasn’t written by the user name I use for each one.

Bloody Groundhog Day

As a point of interest has a single poster who is either quite strongly a fan, or not a fan changed their mind in the last two seasons? I think the answer to that is almost certainly NO :lolol:

boik

The league table is reality the rest is hot air and hope.

The league table is just a snapshot in time, even at the end of the season. If as suspected the club have been assembling the various parts to progress, then we are hopefully on the lower slopes of an exponential curve. My eyes tell me that most, but not all parts are now in place. That is why I am optimistic and not focused on the league table in the short term.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It just goes to show that if you ask more interesting questions you get more interesting answers.

Something to note for (most of) the National journos attending the weekly pressers.

He's being interviewed by our very own Paul Camillin.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
So by your logic as they’re higher in the league you’d be happy to swap Potter for Bruce or Hodgson?

Both of the managers mentioned here receive a lot of stick on this forum and quite rightly so.
However they have both achieved higher league positions with inferior squads.
GP needs to learn how to not drop so many points from winning positions and also learn a way how to beat teams around and below us.
If and when he masters this, then I will hold him in the same regard as some of the posters on here.
I don't get how we're so lucky to have him stuff when we're 4th from bottom in the league.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Both of the managers mentioned here receive a lot of stick on this forum and quite rightly so.
GP needs to learn how to not drop so many points from winning positions and also learn a way how to beat teams around and below us.
If and when he masters this, then I will hold him in the same regard as some of the posters on here.
I don't get how we're so lucky to have him stuff when we're 4th from bottom in the league.

Maybe, maybe not. I dont think anyone of them would replace any of their attacking players (midfielders and strikers) with anything Brighton got.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
For me the key point he makes in the interview is about the club recognising that we are in the 5% of the league that have to do things differently and that everyone at the club is sold on this idea which means they all pull in the same direction.

This isn’t a dig at anyone, but I think it’s telling that people who don’t like Potter clearly haven’t bought into this idea. There are lots of fans that have, but there are still some that think we’re in the other 95% of the league and the way to do things is throw money at it like we’re Man City or Chelsea.

If you’re one of those fans that isn’t on board with Potter at the moment, maybe you should try adjusting your expectations and try to appreciate things outside of purely results and league position. If you can accept that club is trying to do things differently, you might enjoy it more, because you’ll start to realise that the club is making progress.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
For me the key point he makes in the interview is about the club recognising that we are in the 5% of the league that have to do things differently and that everyone at the club is sold on this idea which means they all pull in the same direction.

This isn’t a dig at anyone, but I think it’s telling that people who don’t like Potter clearly haven’t bought into this idea. There are lots of fans that have, but there are still some that think we’re in the other 95% of the league and the way to do things is throw money at it like we’re Man City or Chelsea.

If you’re one of those fans that isn’t on board with Potter at the moment, maybe you should try adjusting your expectations and try to appreciate things outside of purely results and league position. If you can accept that club is trying to do things differently, you might enjoy it more, because you’ll start to realise that the club is making progress.

But we've thrown money at some players- Webster, Trossard and Maupay are in the core of Potter’s side. Bissouma was £15m. Yes, we've brought through Ben White via loans but we turned down nearly £30m for him.

Yes there's been some bargains in there (Gross, Veltman) and some freebies on big wages (Lallana, Welbeck) but people talk as if it's an under 23 side assembled on a free. It's absolutely not.

I am on board with Potter on the recent improvements shown since Christmas, the defensive work looks great, but you can't ignore our league position, it is as much to do with the manager as it is our lack of 20 goal a season striker (which rarely exist outside the big 4 anyway).

I can't help but wonder whether GPot would have quite such a loyal following if xG hadn't come into the mainstream.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
.......but you can't ignore our league position, it is as much to do with the manager as it is our lack of 20 goal a season striker (which rarely exist outside the big 4 anyway).

Interestingly, the board’s resident dullard has put ‘manager impact’ (in terms of league position) as 5% in his latest podcast which is well worth a listen if you can stay awake. The only caveat is it’s based on academic statistical analysis rather than ‘his opinion’.

As you will have guessed, our league position is affected by our budget by 90%. I suspect the other 5% is stuff like fans backing and recruitment/development.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I can't help but wonder whether GPot would have quite such a loyal following if xG hadn't come into the mainstream.

I expect he would, as long as the gift of sight was still mainstream.

Imagine how popular he'd be if the league table were a niche obsession. There'd be a minority of people moaning about him oblivious to the clearly visible improvements on the pitch.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I expect he would, as long as the gift of sight was still mainstream.

Imagine how popular he'd be if the league table were a niche obsession. There'd be a minority of people moaning about him oblivious to the clearly visible improvements on the pitch.
The league table is of importance finish one place below our current position and it’s back to playing in the championship lottery.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

So just to confirm that’s a “yes” from you. You would happily swap GP for Steve Bruce or Roy Hodgson?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The league table is of importance finish one place below our current position and it’s back to playing in the championship lottery.

I notice you didn't answer the question. Here it is again :

So by your logic as they’re higher in the league you’d be happy to swap Potter for Bruce or Hodgson?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here