[Albion] Graham Potter

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Champions League football at Celtic where he made his name in Sweden by beating teams with bigger budgets, and only having to beat 1 other team domestically in the league.
Intense pressure probably less of a factor after Chelsea. Maybe a European clash with Brighton at some point as well :D

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I suggest you listen to Paul Barber on the High Performance Podcast last week. That will show you what an absolute load of drivel you just typed.

Bob Paisley managed in the 70’s. Top level football is almost unrecognisable from that now. It is not even close to being a simple game. It’s absolutely astonishing than anybody can actually think that in 2023.
We will probably never know if he’s a top manager. He certainly didn’t prove it at Chelsea. Proved he was a top failure there.
Most really top managers would have turned that around.
GP proved he was about as good as Frank Lampard.
Cant see him ever getting a really top job.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Do well at an upwardly mobile Premier League team playing attractive football, get a job and a glow up at a big 6 side, ultimately fail there and then spend a few years winning everything at Celtic. When he’s had enough there, get a move back to a decent top half premier league team where he does well for a bit before boring the team, fans and sleepwalking to relegation. Brendan Potter.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No coincidence by the way that our worst seasons at The Amex have coincided with poor recruitment. Bennett, Gardner, Ogrady and co did for Hyppia and Hughton was unfortunate that the algorithm started a little, er, rusty with Locadia and Ali J
Agree completely. People eulogize managers but our success is built on decision making at the top, recruitment and cash just like any other club. RDZ is here now. At some point it will be someone else. Much though I enjoy his brand of football I am as uncomfortable with the idea of him being key as I was about the Potter hype. Not looking forward to the division of the ‘in/out’ threads when we embark on our inevitable bad run.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't want Potter in charge of Palace. Don't need the angst in my life. Can see it happening but hoping he's got more 'emotional intelligence' than that.
I'm perhaps being unfair in my characterisation of Potter here but taking the Palace job is exactly the sort of thing I could see him doing.

He always gave off a hint of believing his shit doesn't stink and I reckon, given the opportunity, he'd love to get one over on a fanbase (a minority) that booed his football and then absolutely ripped him and his shiny new team to pieces which effectively signalled the beginning of the end of his career as an elite level manager.

That he could do this at the helm of our rivals probably keeps him at half-mast most of the day.

And I say all that with the usual caveats: yes, he was a good coach for us, wouldn't be where are without his transformation of the Hughton team yadda yadda yadda.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Trying to figure out where the angst comes into it. Watching Potter flounder at Palace would be as funny as watching him flounder at Chelsea shirley?
I don't think it's guaranteed he would flounder imo. They've got some decent players and I can't be arsed with his teeth sucking comments before and after the games against us let alone representing that mob all the while he lives in HOVE (the bloody irony)!!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don't think it's guaranteed he would flounder imo. They've got some decent players and I can't be arsed with his teeth sucking comments before and after the games against us let alone representing that mob all the while he lives in HOVE (the bloody irony)!!
I agree - I would hate it if he went there and had some success, especially against us!

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I'm perhaps being unfair in my characterisation of Potter here but taking the Palace job is exactly the sort of thing I could see him doing.

He always gave off a hint of believing his shit doesn't stink and I reckon, given the opportunity, he'd love to get one over on a fanbase (a minority) that booed his football and then absolutely ripped him and his shiny new team to pieces which effectively signalled the beginning of the end of his career as an elite level manager.

That he could do this at the helm of our rivals probably keeps him at half-mast most of the day.

And I say all that with the usual caveats: yes, he was a good coach for us, wouldn't be where are without his transformation of the Hughton team yadda yadda yadda.
I agree it is exactly the kind of thing he could take on. Also, think he'd want one over us although I'm sure he realises how bloody special TB and PB are now after his time with the American wrestler and co. Anyway just hope he doesn't take it and I have enough animosity with other clubs and Palace!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Doubt he even knows there is a rivalry between us.
:)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Leeds interested apparently.
Just relieved they're not interested in De Zerbi, who'd obviously go to the biggest club in the universe if given the chance.

Meanwhile I can't understand why biggest club didn't keep the best manager in the world. Who else could have got 1 point from 4 games?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We will probably never know if he’s a top manager. He certainly didn’t prove it at Chelsea. Proved he was a top failure there.
Most really top managers would have turned that around.
GP proved he was about as good as Frank Lampard.
Cant see him ever getting a really top job.
His managerial record is much better than Lampard's and there's still time for him to get a top job. Some people on here need to be careful what they wish for. Given time, Graham Potter will be successful again. I hope that's not at Palace

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports