[Albion] Graham Potter

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
All well and good, but they won't.

I don't think Potter will ever find a club as patient as we were with him unless he's prepared to go outside of top divisions.
This is true, but Palace have a far better squad than we did when he took over. I doubt he'd need two seasons to improve them because have to completely change everything like he did with us.

theboybilly

Why would Hughton be left with keys/access pass after he was sacked? I can't imagine any job where you are allowed to keep your pass after leaving a company. I certainly didn't. The day you leave, you leave, and you sign in and enter through the front door like any other visitor. Can't understand the outrage.
I don't think CH was blocked from entrance to the Training Ground on his last day. Why do that? A meeting would have been arranged as a matter of course the day after the season ended with few if any players attending. Hughton walked into that room not knowing what awaited. Had his passes been blocked he would have had an inkling. I don't think he did and was probably given time to clear his desk and say his goodbyes to those at work for the day. It won't have been very pleasant but it will have been short and to the point. No use dragging things out and all parties (especially Chris) have behaved impeccably since. It's what we do

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
This is true, but Palace have a far better squad than we did when he took over. I doubt he'd need two seasons to improve them because have to completely change everything like he did with us.
Not sure i'd agree they are far better. They have the firepower, but their defence is piss weak compared to ours at the time of him joining.

As for the time it would take to get them going, I guess we'll see if it comes to pass.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Not sure i'd agree they are far better. They have the firepower, but their defence is piss weak compared to ours at the time of him joining.

As for the time it would take to get them going, I guess we'll see if it comes to pass.
It pains me to say it but, Guehi and Anderson are very good centre backs. Mitchell is also a very good left-back. Not a huge amount of depth there, granted, but all they'd need to do is pick up a quality right-back and it's a good back four (though Potter would need to abandon his obsession with 5 at the back - I don't think he'll get any of those forward players playing LWB well).

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
It pains me to say it but, Guehi and Anderson are very good centre backs. Mitchell is also a very good left-back. Not a huge amount of depth there, granted, but all they'd need to do is pick up a quality right-back and it's a good back four (though Potter would need to abandon his obsession with 5 at the back - I don't think he'll get any of those forward players playing LWB well).
Zaha LWB after signing new contract???????

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Chelsea’s xG has underachieved massively this season. One example:

The slow progress up the pitch, the need to walk it in. It’s what makes Potter a fairly average coach. His teams look good but don’t deliver, unless you take your stat sample as only between April 2022 and September 2022.

Well who would have thought it!! 👍

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Agree with you that Potter going to Palace will be fun. In fact it will be hilarious. And fantastic for re-igniting the rivalry. Doubt he'll be given the luxury of three seasons to accidentally stumble upon a winning side tho :lol:
Football is a simple game made more complicated by those who over-think it. Bob Paisley was asked once about what he had said in a Liverpool team meeting....he replied....." pass to the same colour shirt " Man City move the ball quickly and accurately. That is the essence of their success.
Graham Potter is a man of vision. He knows how he wants to set teams up and how to play. He allows his own vision to get clouded, however, by over-thinking. His Albion career and short time at Chelsea were characterised by inconsistency. Unbeaten runs followed by winless runs. He started well at Chelsea, then didn't know where the next result was coming from and seemed helpless to stem the flow. Too many games with us ending in draws, where decisiveness was lacking.
RDZ is a different animal. He believes in the fearless approach, unwavering in his belief that we will win more than we lose. Draws are a last resort. He won't overthink it, he doesn't see any need to change anything. Let the opposition worry about us. We are 3-0 up. Lets win 4-0. Graham Potter is a decent manager who will always fall just short of real success because of allowing caution and uncertainty to cloud his vision.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
He had an even stronger squad at Chelsea and could not get a tune out of them. Given time Potter has shown he is a good manager but beyond us I struggle to think of many PL teams who would afford him the same luxury of time Tony did. Which makes palace an even stranger move if it happened as they showed with FDB and Viera if results take a dip you are out.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Reading some stuff that Ange Postecoglou of Celtic is favourite to be offered the Spurs job.
A lot of Celtic fans think Potter he might be a good fit as replacement.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Thought he had gone to Nice in France!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Potter took over a team that had never finished higher than 15th. Palace haven’t finished that low for 7 years. They are for more experienced and far more battle hardened and Premier League resilient than we were then. It’s a much easier job.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Reading some stuff that Ange Postecoglou of Celtic is favourite to be offered the Spurs job.
A lot of Celtic fans think Potter he might be a good fit as replacement.
I thought of Potter to Celtic as soon as I heard their manager could be offered the Spurs job.

Potter would piss that league.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Football is a simple game made more complicated by those who over-think it. Bob Paisley was asked once about what he had said in a Liverpool team meeting....he replied....." pass to the same colour shirt " Man City move the ball quickly and accurately. That is the essence of their success.
Graham Potter is a man of vision. He knows how he wants to set teams up and how to play. He allows his own vision to get clouded, however, by over-thinking. His Albion career and short time at Chelsea were characterised by inconsistency. Unbeaten runs followed by winless runs. He started well at Chelsea, then didn't know where the next result was coming from and seemed helpless to stem the flow. Too many games with us ending in draws, where decisiveness was lacking.
RDZ is a different animal. He believes in the fearless approach, unwavering in his belief that we will win more than we lose. Draws are a last resort. He won't overthink it, he doesn't see any need to change anything. Let the opposition worry about us. We are 3-0 up. Lets win 4-0. Graham Potter is a decent manager who will always fall just short of real success because of allowing caution and uncertainty to cloud his vision.
I suggest you listen to Paul Barber on the High Performance Podcast last week. That will show you what an absolute load of drivel you just typed.

Bob Paisley managed in the 70’s. Top level football is almost unrecognisable from that now. It is not even close to being a simple game. It’s absolutely astonishing than anybody can actually think that in 2023.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I suggest you listen to Paul Barber on the High Performance Podcast last week. That will show you what an absolute load of drivel you just typed.

Bob Paisley managed in the 70’s. Top level football is almost unrecognisable from that now. It is not even close to being a simple game. It’s absolutely astonishing than anybody can actually think that in 2023.
And if you watch that RDZ tactical seminar video, it's insane how much thought he puts in to his approach. The thought it's just down to us being a bit more gung ho couldn't be wider of the mark.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
My highly unpopular opinion is that we'd have got more points this season if Potter had stayed. Things were really starting to click under him, we still had Mitoma and Ferguson to introduce to the starting XI, we wouldn't have had that transition period. Moreover I think that his more pragmatic style would've yielded more points, even if the performances weren't as compelling.

The football wouldn't have been as exciting, the eventual ceiling wouldn't have been as high, the player development may not have been as good, and for all those reasons I prefer RDZ. It's just so much fun watching BHA now. And of course Potter buggered off and didn't give himself the chance to achieve this, so sod him.
With Mitoma's (and Estupoinan's and Enciso's) strengths and weaknesses being what they are I can't see them being in any way as good or even playing that much under Potter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports