Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I only heard recently, he allegedly turned up at the training ground the day after the City game to find his pass to get in had been disabled. Bad taste for me and no surprise he has no ambition to come back to the Amex…if true
I'd be amazed if that was true. Hughton's time was clearly up if we wanted to be anything other than perennial Premier League strugglers, but there are ways of doing things, and I'd be really surprised and disappointed if the club did that to him.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'd love there to be a nice way of sacking somebody, but is waiting in the car park for him to turn up any better? Is doing it over the phone a nice way to do it?
Take him out for dinner at the end of the season, thank him and then say "oh, by the way, we're sacking you. Sorry about that."
To be clear, I agree it's a shit way to find out. It's just not as unusual or inexplicable as might be thought.

As an aside, I work with somebody who started work as a principal engineer (so fairly senior) and was told
"You'll have these three people under you as line manager."
"Oh, that's nice."
"John's not up to it, he's being fired. Can you tell him please?"
He refused to sack the guy he'd never met, so somebody else had to do it. I think he was told the week before Christmas. Lovely.
That's what the Little Chef is for, isn't it?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd be amazed if that was true. Hughton's time was clearly up if we wanted to be anything other than perennial Premier League strugglers, but there are ways of doing things, and I'd be really surprised and disappointed if the club did that to him.
Only repeating what I heard had allegedly happened, I think I saw it on here so no, not necessarily a fact.

But I find it very odd that he hasn't seen fit/been invited back given what he did for us and that he didn't get the chance to have the fans thank him in the stadium

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why are you spouting that nonsense? Potter 'honed' nothing in these players. If anything he held many of them back. And in the case of Solly March, it took RDZ to instill a modicum of self-confidence into the player, thereby transforming him into the very valuable asset that we saw post-Potter
You know how astonishingly well our players play out from the back under pressure, yes? Can you imagine them trying to do that under Hughton? Do you think RDZ completely taught them how to do that in September? Can you genuinely not see how RDZ built on the foundations that Potter laid?

It's absolutely astonishing if you can't. You are so blinded by the fact that you didn't like the guy because you didn't understand his football, and couldn't understand why and how long it took for the Man Utd / Leicester home performances to start coming after the transition from Hughton's negative and outdated tactics. There is no coach in the world that could have taken over from Hughton and got us playing how we are now in a few months. RDZ is clearly an upgrade on Potter, but Potter was the right man at the right time, that we should all be thanking, had he not left in the way he did. But as he chose to do that, he won't be getting any thanks from anyone.

Potter going to Palace will be fun as it will re-ignite the rivalry, but he will make them stronger if they give him time.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
You know how astonishingly well our players play out from the back under pressure, yes? Can you imagine them trying to do that under Hughton? Do you think RDZ completely taught them how to do that in September? Can you genuinely not see how RDZ built on the foundations that Potter laid?

It's absolutely astonishing if you can't. You are so blinded by the fact that you didn't like the guy because you didn't understand his football, and couldn't understand why and how long it took for the Man Utd / Leicester home performances to start coming after the transition from Hughton's negative and outdated tactics. There is no coach in the world that could have taken over from Hughton and got us playing how we are now in a few months. RDZ is clearly an upgrade on Potter, but Potter was the right man at the right time, that we should all be thanking, had he not left in the way he did. But as he chose to do that, he won't be getting any thanks from anyone.

Potter going to Palace will be fun as it will re-ignite the rivalry, but he will make them stronger if they give him time.
"Re-ignite" ..... possibly an understatement

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
"Re-ignite" ..... possibly an understatement
Would be great for Palace to have a manager we can all hate. I found it hard to dislike Viera, and nobody can hate Roy Hodgson.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
The worst thing about this is being a possibility is his back room team including a bearded Spaniard.

I am hoping he is still at Chelsea and there was no news about him leaving because they wanted to keep him for Poch's back room team.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Re Chris being locked out of the Training Centre I am wondering if it is one of those things that happen fairly automatically. I can’t see Tony or Paul picking the phone up and saying “Block his card” can you. It would have been known about by the admin staff and someone deleted his pass as a matter of course. A bit premature perhaps but I would like to think it wasn’t a deliberate snub.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
What advice would you give him as to how he could improve and get better results as a coach?
I'm in no position to give any advice! There are plenty of coaches whose whole mantra is around generating and exploiting transitions. Armchair analysis is just that and it just deals with technical structures and patterns around how to deny and exploit space not getting a squad of players to perform.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The worst thing about this is being a possibility is his back room team including a bearded Spaniard.

I am hoping he is still at Chelsea and there was no news about him leaving because they wanted to keep him for Poch's back room team.

That is a horrible proposition that I hadn't considered.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

He isn't still at Chelsea.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Is there actually any proper evidence Palace are interested in Potter ? Or is this just a Q source rumour that has spread from the Twitter sewers ?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
He isn't still at Chelsea.
Correct. He went back to Spain for a while after leaving Chelsea. Not sure if he's returned yet.

I'd be quite surprised if he went with Potter to Palace, it isn't the career stepping stone that Chelsea was and I'd imagine that he'd be looking to move into management himself pretty quickly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Agree with you that Potter going to Palace will be fun. In fact it will be hilarious. And fantastic for re-igniting the rivalry. Doubt he'll be given the luxury of three seasons to accidentally stumble upon a winning side tho :lol:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Agree with you that Potter going to Palace will be fun. In fact it will be hilarious. And fantastic for re-igniting the rivalry. Doubt he'll be given the luxury of three seasons to accidentally stumble upon a winning side tho :lol:
Potter is a bright enough bloke to see what happened with his team after he left. In any new role you'd think he will be learning from De Zerbi (like all managers).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Why would Hughton be left with keys/access pass after he was sacked? I can't imagine any job where you are allowed to keep your pass after leaving a company. I certainly didn't. The day you leave, you leave, and you sign in and enter through the front door like any other visitor. Can't understand the outrage.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Why would Hughton be left with keys/access pass after he was sacked? I can't imagine any job where you are allowed to keep your pass after leaving a company. I certainly didn't. The day you leave, you leave, and you sign in and enter through the front door like any other visitor. Can't understand the outrage.
The story is that his pass was disabled before he'd been given the news

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here