Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Does this mean, if he lands the job, he won’t be taking any of the backroom staff with him this time? According to the article he’ll also have to wait until the Manchester United takeover is completed as Nice are owned by Ineos who are competing with an Oil State for United.

From Talksport

Potter is expected to return to management next season and with a host of suitors likely to be available, the former Brighton boss is unlikely to wait around for Nice to accelerate their move for him.

Nice have reportedly already held talks with Potter who is happy to work with the backroom staff created by sporting director Florent Ghisolfi.
Potter looks after number one of course, but that doesn't rule out employing some of his entourage as well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Potter looks after number one of course, but that doesn't rule out employing some of his entourage as well.
Better hope he takes it as De Zerbi is also on their shortlist :lolol:

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
How old are you?
The reason I ask is that, depending on your age, I've probably been watching Brighton since before you were born.
Re what I said about Chris Hughton, it was to some extent tongue in cheek. His was a very dour brand of football, but he got us up and for that he is written eternally in the history of our club as a hero, end of. Although it did come at the cost of part of one's soul dying. But he did it. And now it doesn't matter anyway for under De Zerbi our souls are flying again!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I don't hate the guy in the least. In fact I actually - on one level - admire the bloke for making a silk purse out of a sow's ear and providing generational wealth for his family. He's certainly put in the long hard mediocre miles. If anything I'm sneering at the dumb unthinking NSC echo chamber (and, to be fair, the media guys with endless column inches to fill) who just mindlessly parroted that the guy was 'clearly a talented coach' when he clearly wasn't :lolol:
are you implying that you know more about football than potter, still?

embarrassing :facepalm:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It fascinates me how many are routing for Potter - but then it actually fascinated me how many people enjoyed his football in the first 2 x seasons...I think watching the Albion was more damaging for my mental health in the winter lockdown than the actual lockdown!

He deserves enormous credit for transforming the style of play so quickly and for making a very very solid defence while turning some promising players into very expensive sales. And getting us to 9th and finally finding the back of the net regularly from April onwards to build the foundations for De Zerbi.
But the criticisms of a lot of his football as slow and dull, the ridiculous runs without wins, ovrrtinkering, the amount of chances created but not ones that could be converted and dare I say it, a dull personality that made him hard to warm to, are also very fair. Not to mention a few unnecessary swipes at supporters. Mad to think as recently as 14 months ago we were on a run of 6 defeats in a row and then drew 0 0 against bottom of the league opponents.

He's gone now and as things stand we have a manager playing faster, aggressive and effective football that most sane people can see is incredible. The manager gets it, he has charisma and passion that every football fan wants at their club. It's great albeit it's not perfect- we've shipped a few goals and maybe need a bit more flexibility if plan A isn't working, but we've been decimated by injuries and have still made it to Europe and a Wembley Semi. It's an incredible time to be an Albion fan but of course it could still end a bit Poyety, so let's enjoy it while we can

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I am over the Potter saga now. Extraordinary success and 'the double' over toxic Chelsea have helped and I am an disinterested observer of what Potter does now. More problematic for me is the demise of Bruno, who was my absolute favourite Albion player for several years. I genuinely hope there is a way back to our great club for him, but I won't be holding my breath and I don't know what he would add to our success.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It fascinates me how many are routing for Potter - but then it actually fascinated me how many people enjoyed his football in the first 2 x seasons...I think watching the Albion was more damaging for my mental health in the winter lockdown than the actual lockdown!

He deserves enormous credit for transforming the style of play so quickly and for making a very very solid defence while turning some promising players into very expensive sales. And getting us to 9th and finally finding the back of the net regularly from April onwards to build the foundations for De Zerbi.
But the criticisms of a lot of his football as slow and dull, the ridiculous runs without wins, ovrrtinkering, the amount of chances created but not ones that could be converted and dare I say it, a dull personality that made him hard to warm to, are also very fair. Not to mention a few unnecessary swipes at supporters. Mad to think as recently as 14 months ago we were on a run of 6 defeats in a row and then drew 0 0 against bottom of the league opponents.

He's gone now and as things stand we have a manager playing faster, aggressive and effective football that most sane people can see is incredible. The manager gets it, he has charisma and passion that every football fan wants at their club. It's great albeit it's not perfect- we've shipped a few goals and maybe need a bit more flexibility if plan A isn't working, but we've been decimated by injuries and have still made it to Europe and a Wembley Semi. It's an incredible time to be an Albion fan but of course it could still end a bit Poyety, so let's enjoy it while we can
I basically agree with this. The only thing I'd pick up on is that most of the interviews with Potter away from pre/post match formalities were actually quite interesting. Why he felt he had to be quite so completely disengaged from those I don't know, or frankly, care.
Personally I don't find them any more interesting now that De Zerbi's doing them. It's still just a load of pointless questions about a match that I'll either see myself in a couple of days or have just watched with my own eyes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Re what I said about Chris Hughton, it was to some extent tongue in cheek. His was a very dour brand of football, but he got us up

Our football in the Championship was far from dour. We were an attacking side and battered some teams.

You seem to have confused his pragmatic approach to PL survival with his overall time here

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If anything I'm sneering at the dumb unthinking NSC echo chamber (and, to be fair, the media guys with endless column inches to fill) who just mindlessly parroted that the guy was 'clearly a talented coach' when he clearly wasn't :lolol:

You're sneering based on an opinion that most still disagree with.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I am over the Potter saga now. Extraordinary success and 'the double' over toxic Chelsea have helped and I am an disinterested observer of what Potter does now. More problematic for me is the demise of Bruno, who was my absolute favourite Albion player for several years. I genuinely hope there is a way back to our great club for him, but I won't be holding my breath and I don't know what he would add to our success.
This - following Potter was a huge mistake - he will always regret it.
Bruno would currently be in Andrew Crofts role at the club.

Obviously he will also be a lot richer, but must be sad at the situation he now finds himself in.

knekkebrød

May 20, 2018
Norway
I still like Bruno. Was incredibly disapointed when he left, but never angry. Would be happy to see him return.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I still like Bruno. Was incredibly disapointed when he left, but never angry. Would be happy to see him return.
I liked Bruno and thought he epitomised everything good about the Albion, but now I think of him as a former player who has moved on, much the same as Calde, Rosenior, Hughton and Garcia.

Not sure if I could think of him at the same elevated level if he returned. That ship has sailed. Enjoy the memory.

The success under RDZ has made us much more forgiving. I often wonder how I’d have felt if Chelsea had done well and we had struggled.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I am over the Potter saga now. Extraordinary success and 'the double' over toxic Chelsea have helped and I am a disinterested observer of what Potter does now. More problematic for me is the demise of Bruno, who was my absolute favourite Albion player for several years. I genuinely hope there is a way back to our great club for him, but I won't be holding my breath and I don't know what he would add to our success.
I imagine Bruno is enjoying his payoff from Chelsea sitting on a nice beach in Catalonia

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
This - following Potter was a huge mistake - he will always regret it.
Bruno would currently be in Andrew Crofts role at the club.

Obviously he will also be a lot richer, but must be sad at the situation he now finds himself in.
Yeah, a bit sliding doors.
We will never really understand why Bruno joined Potter - could be that he had a short time to make up his mind with an uncertain future at Brighton. On reflection DZ would probably have included him in his team, as he did with Crofty, but we just don’t know. Bruno was a bigger personality that Crofty and maybe DZ would have had a problem with that. Who knows? I would never hold that situation against Bruno who still holds high status in my own Albion list of favourites. At least if he returned in some capacity he would be an extremely safe pair of hands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here