Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
A head full of technobollox and management babble, but a clearly incomplete footballing methodology. A gaping void where his football passion should have been. Running tactics sessions on flip charts and PowerPoint presentations rather than grass and sweat. If he gave you directions to your destination, he would leave out the last 3 miles. A completely risk averse alien, when his troops wanted adventure, risk and danger. A man more at home running an operational process to improve efficiency in waste recycling in grey trucks, than leading a team of elite hungry teenagers and young men who craved the exhilaration of shining as individuals and as a unit in the bright sporting spotlight. A man as boring to listen to as a broken speaking clock in Urdu. A man who thought he was cool with the kids, when they thought he was a knob. An insecure man in completely the wrong arena, getting easily offended when 50 people didn’t give the vocal reaction he expected. A ‘Potter’ who thought he had the undiscovered secrets of football in his magic wand. But all he had was a fat finger to shove up his own backside. An insignificant disloyal man who left the very slightest ripple of a memory in his loyal willing troops. A man who could suck air through his teeth faster than Monica Lewinsky could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. A man found out for believing his own bullshit, now realising he should be driving that waste recycling truck. Somewhere in Dudley.
Don't sit on the fence mate, say what you really think about him

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We played some fabulous football under CH in the Championship, the football we played in his last six months here was as bad as I've ever seen from a club who didn't get relegated from the PL. It was absolutely dire and he needed to go, in fact I stopped going by the end :smile:
But necessary given where we were at the time.

If we hadn’t stayed up, arguably our path may have followed a different course and we might have not had this amazing season…..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
going to Spurs?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
A head full of technobollox and management babble, but a clearly incomplete footballing methodology. A gaping void where his football passion should have been. Running tactics sessions on flip charts and PowerPoint presentations rather than grass and sweat. If he gave you directions to your destination, he would leave out the last 3 miles. A completely risk averse alien, when his troops wanted adventure, risk and danger. A man more at home running an operational process to improve efficiency in waste recycling in grey trucks, than leading a team of elite hungry teenagers and young men who craved the exhilaration of shining as individuals and as a unit in the bright sporting spotlight. A man as boring to listen to as a broken speaking clock in Urdu. A man who thought he was cool with the kids, when they thought he was a knob. An insecure man in completely the wrong arena, getting easily offended when 50 people didn’t give the vocal reaction he expected. A ‘Potter’ who thought he had the undiscovered secrets of football in his magic wand. But all he had was a fat finger to shove up his own backside. An insignificant disloyal man who left the very slightest ripple of a memory in his loyal willing troops. A man who could suck air through his teeth faster than Monica Lewinsky could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. A man found out for believing his own bullshit, now realising he should be driving that waste recycling truck. Somewhere in Dudley.
I’d be grateful if you could confirm that you’re talking about Graham Potter - it’s just that my wife thinks you’re describing me.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Entertaining post.

Not 100% sure you got all the details right but have a "like" for brightening my morning.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
True. And anyone would have thought Potter had no positive qualities at all reading others.
Given the way he’s described on here I’m assuming we finished last season one place off relegation and it must have been a miracle that we avoided relegation. Oh hang on we finished 9th - at the time our best ever finish. Still Potter was crap though.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Given the way he’s described on here I’m assuming we finished last season one place off relegation and it must have been a miracle that we avoided relegation. Oh hang on we finished 9th - at the time our best ever finish. Still Potter was crap though.
People let emotions cloud facts. Rewriting history is very common. Football is an emotional game, it’s like a relationship and Potter leaving (and taking the kids) is like a messy divorce.

I’ve got absolutely no time for him at all. In fact, I turn off the TV/Radio etc if I hear his voice. It makes me angry. I can’t stand him.

However, the fact is that he left us in 4th and with the squad of talented players, he’d probably have delivered us the Champions League in my opinion. We’d not have had that awful 5 game transition period where RDZ got 2 points from 5 games.

That said, I believe that RDZ has overtaken him as our best manager ever. No other manger we have had gets near these two in terms of coaching talent, management skill and football intelligence.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I agree with what a lot of people are saying. GP2 did a decent job, but the rather unbecoming manner in which he left prevents me from lionising him.
Of the last 6 managers, the only really bad one has been Sami Hyypiä. GP2 was not bad from a purely footballing point of view, just a bit lacking in the character department.
GP1 was very decent, got us playing nice and effective football and nearly took us from League 1 straight into the Premier League, plus he still seems to have a soft spot for the club to judge by his punditry. I can't remember who he took over from. Oscar Garcia was pretty decent, too. Hyypiä was awful. Hughton's brand of football was dour but effective and did the job. I don't miss Hughton-ball, but I appreciate the job he did for us. GP2 did take us up a level, although it took him a while to do it, but progress we did, and progress is progress. RDZ is on a whole other level. It was interesting when it was announced that the club had given permission for Potter to talk to Chelsea. I thought, "What?! Oi, Bloom, noooo!!!" It seemed that the club were perfectly happy to let him go, "Yeah, go and talk to Chelski if you want, it's fine," which I couldn't understand. Now, however I do. They knew who they had lined up.
Who knows how far he's going to take us? I think he could take us all the way, to dizzying uncharted heights. Wonderful incredibly exciting times.

Or was Hyypia stitched up on the recruitment side?

Not heard one player that was kept on after his departure criticising him. They all thought he was decent.

The recruitment was horrendous, led by the celebrated (by an OBE no less) Burke.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
People let emotions cloud facts. Rewriting history is very common. Football is an emotional game, it’s like a relationship and Potter leaving (and taking the kids) is like a messy divorce.

I’ve got absolutely no time for him at all. In fact, I turn off the TV/Radio etc if I hear his voice. It makes me angry. I can’t stand him.

However, the fact is that he left us in 4th and with the squad of talented players, he’d probably have delivered us the Champions League in my opinion. We’d not have had that awful 5 game transition period where RDZ got 2 points from 5 games.

That said, I believe that RDZ has overtaken him as our best manager ever. No other no chance
We'd certainly have dropped off considerably. Decent season but no chance of maintaining that flash in the pan streak.

Clearly Potter didn't think that it would be maintained. He got out whilst his stock was as high as it could be

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Just wondered - are we supposed to slag off Chris Hughton as well as Potter on this Potter thread?
Or do we have to have a separate thread?

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Just wondered - are we supposed to slag off Chris Hughton as well as Potter on this Potter thread?
Or do we have to have a separate thread?
Good idea.
We could talk about how negative and boring the football was until Potter saved us and converted us from perennial relegation contenders into a top-half team.
Not sure what you would call it, though. Maybe Escape (from soul-destroying football) to Victory!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good idea.
We could talk about how negative and boring the football was until Potter saved us and converted us from perennial relegation contenders into a top-half team.
Not sure what you would call it, though. Maybe Escape (from soul-destroying football) to Victory!
We could but that conversation would be so far removed from reality it's natural home would be on DisneyPrincessStandChat.

Still at least everyone got to live happily ever after.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Really strange the reaction former managers provoke in people.

Poyet - great job, bad ending. Completely transformed the playing style and professionalism of the club.
Garcia - steady job, Passionless, aloof and non-comittal. Did well enough with limited resources, otherwise one to forget.
Hypia - Useless, algorithm or no algorithm an absolute dud. Did the honourable thing and walked
Houghton - great job, sad ending made the break through we craved.
Potter - good job Untangled a squad falling on the brink of imploding and got them playing football
De Zerbi - great job When the highs are this high? How low can you go?

So aside from Hypia who at least left in a dignified manner, for me everyone one of these managers have seen the club make progress whilst at the helm.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Hughton was great for Brighton, but he had a self imposed ceiling which I think eventually pissed off Tony Bloom. Potter was great for Brighton and I was desolate when he left, but he was a pragmatic manager who felt everybody should be grateful for each baby step by the club, and I was. But let's not give him too much credit for what RDZ has achieved. In less than a full season, RDZ has totally changed the outlook, expectations, players, players' mindsets, playing style and pretty much everything from top to toe, from keeper to centre forward. Potter deserves full credit for what he achieved to the point he left. It was overperforming all the way. But sorry, he gets no credit for anything after he left. That was all RDZ. The players, the playing style, the goals, bringing in Steele, Van Hecke, Buananotte, Ayari, Enciso, Mitoma, Ferguson etc. Transforming Solly in to the player he promised to be. Changing Gross from a languid midfielder with a Cruyff turn to an aggressive goal scoring, creative midfielder and incredibly a capable, deputy right back. Inspiring Mrs Earle to live snd breathe the Albion again after Potter's pass masters had bored her in to submission. Potter was brilliant till he left us and I couldn't imagine a future without him. RDZ gave us that future now. He gets all the credit from me for everything we achieved this season. I'm not having it that Potter contributed anything meaningful to our phenomenal season beyond putting points on the table before he left.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I was gutted even Potter left but have quickly gotten over his departure.

I guess it's like when you get dumped then meet a better looking girl soon after.

Nothing like a rebound with a decent sort to make you forget the old dog who broke your heart.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Really strange the reaction former managers provoke in people.

Poyet - great job, bad ending. Completely transformed the playing style and professionalism of the club.
Garcia - steady job, Passionless, aloof and non-comittal. Did well enough with limited resources, otherwise one to forget.
Hypia - Useless, algorithm or no algorithm an absolute dud. Did the honourable thing and walked
Houghton - great job, sad ending made the break through we craved.
Potter - good job Untangled a squad falling on the brink of imploding and got them playing football
De Zerbi - great job When the highs are this high? How low can you go?

So aside from Hypia who at least left in a dignified manner, for me everyone one of these managers have seen the club make progress whilst at the helm.
Quite. Could not have written it better myself. I might have been kinder to Hyypia although I did not feel it at the time.

Regarding Potter - clearly we did finish 9th and that is the end of the story. But at half time on the final game we were 13th. This season is a proper 6th.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Good idea.
Or just from a legend to a non legend

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here