Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Linked with Nice. Smart move for him if true; out of limelight for a while then maybe try PL somewhere else.

Yes, but it's a bit of a shit hole, isn't it?

Hang on, let me look it up....

1685031575896.png

Just as I thought. Complete dump.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I agree with what a lot of people are saying. GP2 did a decent job, but the rather unbecoming manner in which he left prevents me from lionising him.
Of the last 6 managers, the only really bad one has been Sami Hyypiä. GP2 was not bad from a purely footballing point of view, just a bit lacking in the character department.
GP1 was very decent, got us playing nice and effective football and nearly took us from League 1 straight into the Premier League, plus he still seems to have a soft spot for the club to judge by his punditry. I can't remember who he took over from. Oscar Garcia was pretty decent, too. Hyypiä was awful. Hughton's brand of football was dour but effective and did the job. I don't miss Hughton-ball, but I appreciate the job he did for us. GP2 did take us up a level, although it took him a while to do it, but progress we did, and progress is progress. RDZ is on a whole other level. It was interesting when it was announced that the club had given permission for Potter to talk to Chelsea. I thought, "What?! Oi, Bloom, noooo!!!" It seemed that the club were perfectly happy to let him go, "Yeah, go and talk to Chelski if you want, it's fine," which I couldn't understand. Now, however I do. They knew who they had lined up.
Who knows how far he's going to take us? I think he could take us all the way, to dizzying uncharted heights. Wonderful incredibly exciting times.

I would just add to that Hughton's football was very exciting in the Championship for 2 years. He really turned things around. He was though largely dour in the PL but we did have our moments. Yes wonderfully exciting times right now.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I agree with what a lot of people are saying. GP2 did a decent job, but the rather unbecoming manner in which he left prevents me from lionising him.
Of the last 6 managers, the only really bad one has been Sami Hyypiä. GP2 was not bad from a purely footballing point of view, just a bit lacking in the character department.
GP1 was very decent, got us playing nice and effective football and nearly took us from League 1 straight into the Premier League, plus he still seems to have a soft spot for the club to judge by his punditry. I can't remember who he took over from. Oscar Garcia was pretty decent, too. Hyypiä was awful. Hughton's brand of football was dour but effective and did the job. I don't miss Hughton-ball, but I appreciate the job he did for us. GP2 did take us up a level, although it took him a while to do it, but progress we did, and progress is progress. RDZ is on a whole other level. It was interesting when it was announced that the club had given permission for Potter to talk to Chelsea. I thought, "What?! Oi, Bloom, noooo!!!" It seemed that the club were perfectly happy to let him go, "Yeah, go and talk to Chelski if you want, it's fine," which I couldn't understand. Now, however I do. They knew who they had lined up.
Who knows how far he's going to take us? I think he could take us all the way, to dizzying uncharted heights. Wonderful incredibly exciting times.

I agree Hughton-ball in the EPL was less than exciting but at the time necessary, A tad unfair to say it was all boring, the football we played in our last 2 seasons in the Championship under him I'd say were attacking & exciting.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree Hughton-ball in the EPL was less than exciting but at the time necessary, A tad unfair to say it was all boring, the football we played in our last 2 seasons in the Championship under him I'd say were attacking & exciting.
We played some fabulous football under CH in the Championship, the football we played in his last six months here was as bad as I've ever seen from a club who didn't get relegated from the PL. It was absolutely dire and he needed to go, in fact I stopped going by the end :smile:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Exactly
And just compare the squad CH had with what Potter finished with

Stevens and Propper were not exactly MacAllister and Caicedo

And Jahanbaksh not exactly Mitoma

People cant just come out with the "dour but practical" crap about Hughton generally, it was wonderful watching the team for two years in the Championship, with an ok squad.
Only for the last four months of his tenure was it really bad. The practical took over too much at that point.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
A head full of technobollox and management babble, but a clearly incomplete footballing methodology. A gaping void where his football passion should have been. Running tactics sessions on flip charts and PowerPoint presentations rather than grass and sweat. If he gave you directions to your destination, he would leave out the last 3 miles. A completely risk averse alien, when his troops wanted adventure, risk and danger. A man more at home running an operational process to improve efficiency in waste recycling in grey trucks, than leading a team of elite hungry teenagers and young men who craved the exhilaration of shining as individuals and as a unit in the bright sporting spotlight. A man as boring to listen to as a broken speaking clock in Urdu. A man who thought he was cool with the kids, when they thought he was a knob. An insecure man in completely the wrong arena, getting easily offended when 50 people didn’t give the vocal reaction he expected. A ‘Potter’ who thought he had the undiscovered secrets of football in his magic wand. But all he had was a fat finger to shove up his own backside. An insignificant disloyal man who left the very slightest ripple of a memory in his loyal willing troops. A man who could suck air through his teeth faster than Monica Lewinsky could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. A man found out for believing his own bullshit, now realising he should be driving that waste recycling truck. Somewhere in Dudley.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Any excuse for a bit of The Stranglers

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A head full of technobollox and management babble, but a clearly incomplete footballing methodology. A gaping void where his football passion should have been. Running tactics sessions on flip charts and PowerPoint presentations rather than grass and sweat. If he gave you directions to your destination, he would leave out the last 3 miles. A completely risk averse alien, when his troops wanted adventure, risk and danger. A man more at home running an operational process to improve efficiency in waste recycling in grey trucks, than leading a team of elite hungry teenagers and young men who craved the exhilaration of shining as individuals and as a unit in the bright sporting spotlight. A man as boring to listen to as a broken speaking clock in Urdu. A man who thought he was cool with the kids, when they thought he was a knob. An insecure man in completely the wrong arena, getting easily offended when 50 people didn’t give the vocal reaction he expected. A ‘Potter’ who thought he had the undiscovered secrets of football in his magic wand. But all he had was a fat finger to shove up his own backside. An insignificant disloyal man who left the very slightest ripple of a memory in his loyal willing troops. A man who could suck air through his teeth faster than Monica Lewinsky could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. A man found out for believing his own bullshit, now realising he should be driving that waste recycling truck. Somewhere in Dudley.
Dear oh dear.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's mostly a load of old made-up bollocks. Part of the cycle of bullying.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Wow. An astonishing rant, and a bunch of utter drivel. Are you OK?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We played some fabulous football under CH in the Championship, the football we played in his last six months here was as bad as I've ever seen from a club who didn't get relegated from the PL. It was absolutely dire and he needed to go, in fact I stopped going by the end :smile:

A fair summary. First 1.5 seasons on a low budget CH did a pragmatic job, with some famous wins - Arsenal, West Ham, Manure. But those final months were bloody awful, the low point Mendez Laing & Cardiff giving us a 90 minute lesson on how to play football in our stadium.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You just know the first team bonding session is going to be reimagining the opening scenes of The French Connection through interpretive dance. Can you imagine RDZ getting his players doing that? Utter insanity.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
You just know the first team bonding session is going to be reimagining the opening scenes of The French Connection through interpretive dance. Can you imagine RDZ getting his players doing that? Utter insanity.
Yes. I refer the Right Honourable Gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
What a very, VERY odd post.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
My highly unpopular opinion is that we'd have got more points this season if Potter had stayed. Things were really starting to click under him, we still had Mitoma and Ferguson to introduce to the starting XI, we wouldn't have had that transition period. Moreover I think that his more pragmatic style would've yielded more points, even if the performances weren't as compelling.

The football wouldn't have been as exciting, the eventual ceiling wouldn't have been as high, the player development may not have been as good, and for all those reasons I prefer RDZ. It's just so much fun watching BHA now. And of course Potter buggered off and didn't give himself the chance to achieve this, so sod him.

Really? Can you get me some of what you are on please, I need a bit of alternate reality in my life. :smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here