Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Potter didn‘t believe he could or didn’t have the ability to take us forward. We suffered 2 years of death by passing with few goals and then he finally stumbles on a team and formation that works and fucks off. Let’s not forget ‘we are only Brighton and some need a history lesson’!!!.
It took RBZ to arrive to say we are better than top 10 we should aim for Europe. He put the belief in the players and the club’s hierarchy.
For me Potter was nothing special and Hughton will always be light years ahead of him in achievements.
The main thing that Potter did that helped us going forward was leave and allow RBZ through the door to show him what can be achieved with a positive attitude as opposed the dower brummie rubbish that he spouted!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Potter didn‘t believe he could or didn’t have the ability to take us forward. We suffered 2 years of death by passing with few goals and then he finally stumbles on a team and formation that works and fucks off. Let’s not forget ‘we are only Brighton and some need a history lesson’!!!.
It took RBZ to arrive to say we are better than top 10 we should aim for Europe. He put the belief in the players and the club’s hierarchy.
For me Potter was nothing special and Hughton will always be light years ahead of him in achievements.
The main thing that Potter did that helped us going forward was leave and allow RBZ through the door to show him what can be achieved with a positive attitude as opposed the dower brummie rubbish that he spouted!
Dour Brummie rubbish? That's incredibly harsh. Admittedly perhaps he didn't warm to Albion fans at time with his demeanour and some might say lack of personality, but that's just the way the man was wired.

Surely nobody can complain about a 9th place finish last season? I certainly don't remember anyone on here doing so at the time.

Yes we have moved on again this season under De Zerbi, just as we did when Potter replaced Chris Hughton, but that doesn't make either of them poor managers.

I would say we have been very lucky to have all three of them as Albion managers, it's all about making a gradual imprfovement each time a manager has left, and we have certainly done that.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
It's been said before, but I'm sure most of the vitriol was aimed at Chelsea for their arrogance in thinking they could buy the secret formula that we have as a club.
Accepted, Potter was offered a big upgrade in position and salary that he clearly couldn't turn down. I was a fan, but at times he was a difficult man to warm to ( particularly after that history lesson comment).And I don't remember a huge flag with his face on it moving across the north stand prior to KO.
When De Zerbi had just arrived, we wanted him to be successful, we wanted him to take the hurt away and show Potter our club was better them him. That flag was created before he had even won a game. Blimey, has he delivered that in spads.

That 4-1 win over Chelsea, I don't think there will ever be a game that will feel so sweet. Not even the win at home over Palace.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Potter was a good manager for us. We, at times, played well. At other times we were poor. Overall he did a good job.

But this season we have scored 70 goals and are 4th highest scorers in PL only behind City, Liverpool & Arsenal. Liverpool have only scored 71 so perhaps we'll overtake them! Last season we scored 42 goals and finished with a GD of -2. This season we are +20. Yes we've conceded a few more but I'd take that all day long. Potter would not have achieved that.

Mitoma was only on the bench under Potter, but RDZ didn't take long to start him and ever since. That, for me, is one of the main differences between the two.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Potter was a good manager for us. We, at times, played well. At other times we were poor. Overall he did a good job.

But this season we have scored 70 goals and are 4th highest scorers in PL only behind City, Liverpool & Arsenal. Liverpool have only scored 71 so perhaps we'll overtake them! Last season we scored 42 goals and finished with a GD of -2. This season we are +20. Yes we've conceded a few more but I'd take that all day long. Potter would not have achieved that.

Mitoma was only on the bench under Potter, but RDZ didn't take long to start him and ever since. That, for me, is one of the main differences between the two.
An intriguing nick mwrpoole, l've not come across you before. A good post sir, well said.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Lewis Dunk is a better player , and Solly March has improved dramatically.

Mitoma wasn't in the team under Potter at the start of the season.

And Evan Ferguson not even in the squad.

We were sometimes absolute rubbish under Potter, dreadful to watch, sometimes good.

Potter was bound to fail at Chelsea, he would have been bound to fail at most other Premier League clubs too. No one else would have given him the time that we did.

But at least he will have learnt every day, not sure what, he never told us did he.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lewis Dunk is a better player , and Solly March has improved dramatically.

Mitoma wasn't in the team under Potter at the start of the season.

And Evan Ferguson not even in the squad.

We were sometimes absolute rubbish under Potter, dreadful to watch, sometimes good.

Potter was bound to fail at Chelsea, he would have been bound to fail at most other Premier League clubs too. No one else would have given him the time that we did.

But at least he will have learnt every day, not sure what, he never told us did he.
Evan made his debut under Potter as a 17 year old in 21/22 making 4 appearances. He scored his first goal for the club also under Potter this season v Forest Green in the league cup. RDZ didn't actually include Evan again until Charlton on 21 Dec.

Mitoma couldn't be used by Potter 21/22 because he was on loan. Start of this season Potter used him as a sub in 4 of the first 6 games and was sub for RDZ for his first 3 league games. Needed a bit of time to settle into the PL.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Some fans never liked Potter and some are even proud of booing their own team after a bore draw against Leeds. I don't know if they preferred the football in the last season under Hughton or what their logic was or still is. However I kind of understand their continued sniping at Potter because haters gotta hate, right?

What I dont get is this new fashion of fans who saw the team improve under Potter now rewriting history to claim it didn't or if it did it was despite Potter not because of him. We finished 9th, how did that happen under such a terrible coach?

Surely we all agree Tony Bloom is a genius and wonderful owner. So is he also somehow an idiot for not sacking Potter in January 2022?

Sure, hate Potter for whatever reason you like. Personally, I loved watching his Chelsea project crumble about him. But lets stick to the facts, it is pathetic to pretend otherwise, or are we all as mad as Donald Trump?

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
At the time I liked both GP and GP.
I look back more fondly on the GP era than the GP’s time at the club now though!
🤷‍♂️
To be fair, GP did change the way we played up to that point. It was new and Tony made a sensible appointment at the time, as we had narrowly avoided relegation the previous season. Clearly the way GP left the club with his head turned by loftier ambitions left a bit of a sour taste in the mouth, but look at us now and look at where GP is!

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
For all the arguments on here over his departure and what he did for us, I still don't think there isn't another manager in the world that would have turned down the Chelsea Job. The context for me is that he'd been at the club 3 seasons, not just one. He had the promise of a club about to do things differently than under Abramovich, Champions League football, some of the supposedly best players in the world and the chance to take his staff/friends along with him.

Yes, he could have stayed and tried to finish what he started. But instead he took a potentially once in a lifetime opportunity and I don't blame him for that. Show me where else loyalty is in football? Like I said, shoe on the other foot I think De Zerbi or anyone would have done the same.

Potter was integral to where we are today and I thank him for it.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I felt the same way about Potter as I did about Poyet, he was very much manager of 'The' football club but didn't ever particularly feel like a manager of 'our' football club. Both Poyet & Potter never really felt like they were totally invested in BHAFC despite both helping us progress and get better. RDZ feels different, maybe I'm looking through incredibly blue tinted specs but he and his staff seem to get it, they seem totally invested in what we are trying to do and achieve and talk about the club as if they belong and appear very connected with everything about the club. Perhaps all the talk about wanting to stay at Brighton and improve further will be undone when one of the big Vulture clubs come waving their wallet and promises but at the moment I'm taking RDZ and his crew at his word and really want to believe we will have them for a couple more years at least.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
My highly unpopular opinion is that we'd have got more points this season if Potter had stayed. Things were really starting to click under him, we still had Mitoma and Ferguson to introduce to the starting XI, we wouldn't have had that transition period. Moreover I think that his more pragmatic style would've yielded more points, even if the performances weren't as compelling.

The football wouldn't have been as exciting, the eventual ceiling wouldn't have been as high, the player development may not have been as good, and for all those reasons I prefer RDZ. It's just so much fun watching BHA now. And of course Potter buggered off and didn't give himself the chance to achieve this, so sod him.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I agree with what a lot of people are saying. GP2 did a decent job, but the rather unbecoming manner in which he left prevents me from lionising him.
Of the last 6 managers, the only really bad one has been Sami Hyypiä. GP2 was not bad from a purely footballing point of view, just a bit lacking in the character department.
GP1 was very decent, got us playing nice and effective football and nearly took us from League 1 straight into the Premier League, plus he still seems to have a soft spot for the club to judge by his punditry. I can't remember who he took over from. Oscar Garcia was pretty decent, too. Hyypiä was awful. Hughton's brand of football was dour but effective and did the job. I don't miss Hughton-ball, but I appreciate the job he did for us. GP2 did take us up a level, although it took him a while to do it, but progress we did, and progress is progress. RDZ is on a whole other level. It was interesting when it was announced that the club had given permission for Potter to talk to Chelsea. I thought, "What?! Oi, Bloom, noooo!!!" It seemed that the club were perfectly happy to let him go, "Yeah, go and talk to Chelski if you want, it's fine," which I couldn't understand. Now, however I do. They knew who they had lined up.
Who knows how far he's going to take us? I think he could take us all the way, to dizzying uncharted heights. Wonderful incredibly exciting times.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
For me the thing I love about De Zerbi over Potter is just the passion. When Potter was interviewed you could almost predict what he would say. With De Zerbi no one knows until he speaks. His passion is infectious in a good way.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Perhaps.

Perhaps we’d also have seen Estupinan benched permanently and Solly March playing left back…

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some fans never liked Potter and some are even proud of booing their own team after a bore draw against Leeds. I don't know if they preferred the football in the last season under Hughton or what their logic was or still is. However I kind of understand their continued sniping at Potter because haters gotta hate, right?

What I dont get is this new fashion of fans who saw the team improve under Potter now rewriting history to claim it didn't or if it did it was despite Potter not because of him. We finished 9th, how did that happen under such a terrible coach?

Surely we all agree Tony Bloom is a genius and wonderful owner. So is he also somehow an idiot for not sacking Potter in January 2022?

Sure, hate Potter for whatever reason you like. Personally, I loved watching his Chelsea project crumble about him. But lets stick to the facts, it is pathetic to pretend otherwise, or are we all as mad as Donald Trump?
He was the right man at the right time and although I was pissed off with the way he left, taking the coaching staff with him, you won't ever hear me suggest he didn't do a great job here. De Zerbi inherited a team who easily adapted to his methods, that would not have happened at most clubs imo. You are right though, some never liked him and are now suggesting he wasn't all that anyway. Each to their own.

We 100% have an upgrade in RDZ though

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I said it before. Potter has a mockable voice and a punchable face for the bully in us. It is as simple as that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here