[Albion] Graham Potter

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
You see, to me, Poyet gets much more respect that GP. And I was a huge GP fan. Neither were nice departures and I do appreciate the great work of GP but all the back room staff and the final nail in the coffin of Winstanley mean I can’t ever like him again. It’s just done for me.
At the time I liked both GP and GP.
I look back more fondly on the GP era than the GP’s time at the club now though!
🤷‍♂️

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I look back more fondly on the GP era than the GP’s time at the club now though!
🤷‍♂️
Oh shit yeh. GP = Potter in that!

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Totally agree, and would add that Potter clearly didn't believe he could sustain the brief consistant performance/results that finally came at the end of last season/beginning of this. i.e. he did not believe that the plan was finally coming together or that he had the players to maintain that level. He jumped whilst he could as he did not believe he was capable of sustaining it.

That lack of belief, lack of faith, inability to see what could be achieved has held him back and will continue to. "If I wanted the easy life" = I'll take whatever excuses I can.

DeZerbi knew, he knew from afar, knew from "watching a few you-tube videos". The fact that potter didn't see it, couldn't believe it, didn't trust it is a very clear demonstration of the quality gap between the two. As is Guardiola's view on the two; Potter the best English coach in the PL, De Zerbi changing world football! The most important impact on the PL etc etc etc

I think Potter's blown it, he foolishly believed his own hype and didn't realise that it really wasn't all about him. He should really have listened to what he said before his ego and greed got in the way. What next for him - another failure will permanently damage his reputation, which means an established PL club will be the wrong choice. But does he have the character to drop into the Championship and prove himself again with a club that will give him time? Best scenario for him (and English football) would be Southgate buggering off and Potter getting the England gig - that would plump his obvious ego and allow him to restablish himself for a decent PL job after.

Very intelligent post. One thing I will never be able to comprehend is that at no point, with us, or
with Chelss, did Potter ever believe he needed an ex-striker on the coaching team. At the point of his departure there were 19 coach profiles listed on the Club website (across Mens first team, age group teams, academy, and womens) and not one single one of them had ever played as a striker. He perpetuated this at Chelss. And guess what, both us and Chelss became impotent in front of goal. I was a striker in my day, you need someone to analyse patterns with, someone who knows, backs to goal, or on the final shoulder, near stick back stick, hold or play, across goal or near post, poach or drop into hole, all sorts of fundamental decisions, where you need the input of someone who has done it. For such an academically qualified man, it ought to have been an obvious glaring gap. But I seriously believe there was a conceited arrogance in Potter, that made him think because he had certificates, he knew it all. He’s proved in two clubs that he really doesn’t. From day one at BHA I christened him “The Briefcase”, and I was right. A head full of technobollox but no ability to coach or do the most important thing in our sport. Found out. Briefcase.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Playing away at Swindon and at home to Bristol Rovers is a bit different to the Premier League.

This suggests you have a valid point.

IMG_0451.png

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
The day I found out Bruno was doing the BHA striker coaching, I fell off my chair. Now here we are, with the same player assets, potentially finishing as the 3rd highest scorers in the toughest league on the planet.

🤷‍♂️
Yep - more fondly on both now too. GP1 was exciting but didn't like his ruthless arrogance - but now I appreciate the tremendous transformation at the club he wrought, put us back in the big time. GP2 was a hell of a charisma bypass and I nodded off at times both during his interviews and much of the football. But it all clicked during the second half of his time here so fair play to him, safe pair of hands for any Premier League team who ever needs him

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Very intelligent post. One thing I will never be able to comprehend is that at no point, with us, or
with Chelss, did Potter ever believe he needed an ex-striker on the coaching team. At the point of his departure there were 19 coach profiles listed on the Club website (across Mens first team, age group teams, academy, and womens) and not one single one of them had ever played as a striker. He perpetuated this at Chelss. And guess what, both us and Chelss became impotent in front of goal. I was a striker in my day, you need someone to analyse patterns with, someone who knows, backs to goal, or on the final shoulder, near stick back stick, hold or play, across goal or near post, poach or drop into hole, all sorts of fundamental decisions, where you need the input of someone who has done it. For such an academically qualified man, it ought to have been an obvious glaring gap. But I seriously believe there was a conceited arrogance in Potter, that made him think because he had certificates, he knew it all. He’s proved in two clubs that he really doesn’t. From day one at BHA I christened him “The Briefcase”, and I was right. A head full of technobollox but no ability to coach or do the most important thing in our sport. Found out. Briefcase.
Are any of our current coaches ex-forwards?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Not sure, we have a bye to the third round of the Caribou Cup.
Think he will end up at Wolverhampton when Lopetegui walks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
🤷‍♂️
Nonsense. GP was better than either of them.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Potter didn‘t believe he could or didn’t have the ability to take us forward. We suffered 2 years of death by passing with few goals and then he finally stumbles on a team and formation that works and fucks off. Let’s not forget ‘we are only Brighton and some need a history lesson’!!!.
It took RBZ to arrive to say we are better than top 10 we should aim for Europe. He put the belief in the players and the club’s hierarchy.
For me Potter was nothing special and Hughton will always be light years ahead of him in achievements.
The main thing that Potter did that helped us going forward was leave and allow RBZ through the door to show him what can be achieved with a positive attitude as opposed the dower brummie rubbish that he spouted!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Arguably the best thing ever to happen to Brighton & Hove recently was Potter leaving…
Funnily enough we, myself included had a meltdown about it all…..

we should have kept the faith in our saviour Lord Bloom of Brighton & Hove Albion….

(I’m sure next time when RDZ leaves, there won’t be such a panic)
:ROFLMAO:

As for Potter, he can still piss off to fecksville and when he’s got there, he can keep on going to Nevercome Backsville.

zuidgull

Aug 6, 2011
Hilton, KZN, South Africa
During Hughtons time in charge, in the quest for premier league survival, our playing style regressed from attacking in championship to a set defensive pattern. This made players in that system not attractive to the larger clubs and jeopardized the player development model.

One of the key things, I think Potter should be credited for is the change in the playing style to passing possession based which made our players attractive to the larger clubs again and reinvigorated the development model whilst still keeping us up.

De Zerbi has moved this forward massively but Potter still deserves significant credit.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
During Hughtons time in charge, in the quest for premier league survival, our playing style regressed from attacking in championship to a set defensive pattern. This made players in that system not attractive to the larger clubs and jeopardized the player development model.

One of the key things, I think Potter should be credited for is the change in the playing style to passing possession based which made our players attractive to the larger clubs again and reinvigorated the development model whilst still keeping us up.

De Zerbi has moved this forward massively but Potter still deserves significant credit.
It was also losing the inferiority complex. In both 17/18 and 18/19 we lost 9 games out of 12 against the so called big 6. In 19/20 that reduced to 8 and won 3, 20/21 we lost 7 and got 11 pts, 21/22 we lost 5 and got 13 pts. Under Potter we did a first double over Arsenal, a win at Anfield, beat the champions Man City, owning North London, thrashing Man Utd home and away.

I understand people were frustrated we couldn't break down teams in a low block or whatever, but as well as dealing with a pandemic, and I think we suffered without fans whereas teams like West Ham flourished without the pressure, Potter delivered a belief in this team that we could live and beat the top teams by outplaying them and that has remained.

The 13 months we have just had, from 09 April 2022 to now, has been sensational. The players deserve a huge amount of credit and it is a massive disservice to them to suggest they weren't great at times just because a person has an issue with Potter.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Potter didn‘t believe he could or didn’t have the ability to take us forward. We suffered 2 years of death by passing with few goals and then he finally stumbles on a team and formation that works and fucks off. Let’s not forget ‘we are only Brighton and some need a history lesson’!!!.
It took RBZ to arrive to say we are better than top 10 we should aim for Europe. He put the belief in the players and the club’s hierarchy.
For me Potter was nothing special and Hughton will always be light years ahead of him in achievements.
The main thing that Potter did that helped us going forward was leave and allow RBZ through the door to show him what can be achieved with a positive attitude as opposed the dower brummie rubbish that he spouted!
He achieved a lot at the beginning, to change the style so much, so quickly, within the toughest league, without a significant influx of players and survive after the club flirting with relegation is an incredible achievement.

I'll never forget that, like I'll never forget the lack of respect, loyalty and belief in this club and the players at the end. He smoked all of his own dope. Not sure he'll ever come down from that. Such a shame really, another promising British manager turns to shit

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But still finished 9th, and had an incredible start to the season which essentially put us in 6th 🤷🏻‍♂️ the best run we had all season was under Potter let’s not forget

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Amen. I completely agree.

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
It's been said before, but I'm sure most of the vitriol was aimed at Chelsea for their arrogance in thinking they could buy the secret formula that we have as a club.
Accepted, Potter was offered a big upgrade in position and salary that he clearly couldn't turn down. I was a fan, but at times he was a difficult man to warm to ( particularly after that history lesson comment).And I don't remember a huge flag with his face on it moving across the north stand prior to KO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports